What's new

Asus RT USB HDD and Win10 SMB 1.0 Client...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
This is to share my newbie experience with Win10...

I recently and reluctantly migrated from Win7 to Win10. I knew I needed to enable the Win10 feature SMB 1.0 Client to enable Explorer access to folders on my RT-AC86U USB 3.0 HDD. Asus even has a FAQ link now in the router firmware to alert Win10 users to do this. So I did it and it worked just fine.

Until Win10 undid it! What a pain in the butt. I spent a few hours flailing around with all related networking, trying to recover Explorer access to folders on my RT-NAS. No joy, although a folder I had pinned under Quick Access still worked, making it seem like I had partial access, or what was working was now partially broken instead of being totally disabled.

Finally, I checked on the Win10 SMB 1.0 Client setting and found that it had been automatically disabled by Win10. There's an option there for this that I overlooked and did not deselect... see the screen snip. So, if you enable the SMB 1.0 Client on Win10, make sure you only select that one feature.
upload_2020-2-25_21-52-17.png

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!