Asus RT66N Antenna Upgrade Question...

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by Stimpy, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Stimpy

Stimpy Occasional Visitor

Hello all,

I would like some advice regarding upgrading the 3 antennas on the RT66N. I have been looking around, and have noticed that I cannot seem to find an after market dual-band antenna. They all seem to be either for one band or the other.

My question is, if I buy 3 of these TP-Link-ANT2408CL 8db 2.4GHz antenna, will doing this cause harm to 5GHz coverage?

I have to say, I can't imagine that the antennas on the Asus are anything special, and are probably just 3 or 4db gain 2.4GHz antennas that have been thrown in by Asus, and work "good enough" in the 5GHz band.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. TheOldMan

TheOldMan Occasional Visitor

4. Stimpy

Ah-ha, Well I can't find any information as to what makes these antennae suitable for the 5GHz band. There is not one search result saying anything about these being dual-band capable.

Hmmm, it must be ok to use a 2.4GHz antenna in a 5GHz environment...

5. Stimpy

Well, I decided to go for 3 TL-ANT2405CL 5dbi antennas, as the stock antennas are rated at 3dbi, maybe it might be a little noticable, and I don't have the space for 35cm 9dbi monsters...

I will try them out on inSSIDer when they arrive, and will report back any signal gains, if any.

6. speedbump

speedbump Regular Contributor

So How did they work out in the 5 ghz and 2.4 laso ?