What's new

ASUS TM-AC1900 and AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CyberToothy

New Around Here
Hi Guys first time posters here, came across this site while searching for solution to my networking problem. I've spent the best part of the day reading almost all the threads on page one of the ASUS forums and still can't find a clear cut solution to what I would like to accomplish.

So, for starters here is what I have available to me, unfortunately I do not have images to provide, but I'll do my best to describe what I'm looking for in my network.

I have a -- TM - AC1900 ASUS which is AC68U that I will like to install Merlin on and then I have a
AC56U VPN that I'm planning to use as a vlan. Now I tried setting up the vlan on the ac56u but found out that the I can ping each and every IP's that I created.

I also have an old switch lying around that I would like to utilize as well.

So in conclusion, I have a ASUS tm-1900, asus ac56u vpn and a netgear fvs firewall.

My question is, how will you design a network from these equipment that will give access to my kids and friends, then secure and separate my work from them accessing their favourite game sites and whatever else my friends do online ( kids are teenagers by the way) at the same time protecting my emails and secure data.

My understanding from reading some of the threads is vlan will be ideal in this scenario, but I have no idea how to keep them from not talking with each other. I will also like to add a network printer with home security cameras.

I know this is a bit much, but I know there are experts here who have done this sort of thing before.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hi Guys first time posters here, came across this site while searching for solution to my networking problem. I've spent the best part of the day reading almost all the threads on page one of the ASUS forums and still can't find a clear cut solution to what I would like to accomplish.

So, for starters here is what I have available to me, unfortunately I do not have images to provide, but I'll do my best to describe what I'm looking for in my network.

I have a -- TM - AC1900 ASUS which is AC68U that I will like to install Merlin on and then I have a
AC56U VPN that I'm planning to use as a vlan. Now I tried setting up the vlan on the ac56u but found out that the I can ping each and every IP's that I created.

While you experiment with getting a VLAN setup that gives you the security you want in the interim you could double NAT either one of your two ASUS routers behind the other in its own subnet and use it for your guest network and kids. Since each router will have its own subnet when double NATed devices connected on either router will be in accessible from the other.

Connect your switch to a LAN port on either router and you will have additional Ethernet ports available for wired connections.

While you experiment with getting a VLAN setup that gives you the security you want in the interim you could double NAT either one of your two ASUS routers behind the other in its own subnet and use it for your guest network and kids. Since each router will have its own subnet when double NATed devices connected on either router will be in accessible from the other.

Connect your switch to a LAN port on either router and you will have additional Ethernet ports available for wired connections.

Appreciate the insight and it's not a bad idea, my next question will then be placement between the two routers, how will you place them? Also what happens to the old switch that I mentioned? The whole idea behind this design is to create a small business network that will have a secure LAN/WAN and everything that is public to remain public.

When you speak of double nat'ing I can't help but think of either bridge or repeater, but not sure if those are secure.

One thing I should have mention is that I will like to have the VPN remain private away from the public.

So, will placing the Modem --- Router/vLan ---- VPN ---- Switch work? or will you swap them around?

Again, thanks for the insight.

Appreciate the insight and it's not a bad idea, my next question will then be placement between the two routers, how will you place them? Also what happens to the old switch that I mentioned? The whole idea behind this design is to create a small business network that will have a secure LAN/WAN and everything that is public to remain public.

When you speak of double nat'ing I can't help but think of either bridge or repeater, but not sure if those are secure.

One thing I should have mention is that I will like to have the VPN remain private away from the public.

So, will placing the Modem --- Router/vLan ---- VPN ---- Switch work? or will you swap them around?

Again, thanks for the insight.

Perhaps if you outline in more detail what you want to accomplish you will get more responses/ help.

In general VPNs are used to establish secure encrypted communications over your WAN/Internet connection and are not used on a LAN.

Double NATed connections are not the same as a bridge or repeater though functionally you can use a double NATed connection to help set them up either. Double NAT simply means you have at least two DHCP servers on a network which if done incorrectly results in very poor performance.