What's new

ASUSTOR 5 SERIES

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You have a point, I'm a home user and it's just me - this nas is overkill for my needs so these 2 crashes are more an annoyance than an issue - but you are correct this nas is aimed at power user/business where a crash wouldn't be acceptable.

FWIW - enterprise/carrier grade networks, we have policies/procedures to ensure that no data is lost - and even then, sometimes it happens... normally we might lose a disk or two, but rarely we lose a box, and then it's much more than just an annoyance... but we can recover, but we spend hundreds of thousands of dollars or even millions to keep the services going forward - "the spice must flow..." is the mindset there... it's not just a meme, it's a way of doing things...

To a SOHO/SMB/End User - the bar is even higher...

Re ASUS routers as above... I have used two ASUS 11n routers, one dual-band. (No bleeding-edge 11AC hardware needed here)
Stock firmware.
Never had any issues or need to forcefully reboot.

I would think that ASUS will or has gotten their NAS firmware stable too.
I have a Synology DS212 NAS (circa 2012) that has run since then without any hangs/crashes. I do not update the OS (DSM) until 6-12 months after release. As of now, I've elected to not take the last major DSM update (5.x). No need to experiment. None the less, I backup the wazoo to be safe - risk of theft, etc.

First, thanks for the info provided in this thread - I am thinking of getting a new AS5002T.

My current NAS is a Synology DS209j with 2x1TB Samsung drives. It is starting to show its age and has crashed twice recently, requiring a reload of DSM but thankfully no data loss on my single RAID0 partition. I do not run 24/7 and now booting up is a gamble and even when left on since weekend it would not start up last night (Windows mapped drives not working and admin access from browser gave 404 page even though the DS started up from sleep).

I am now running VMware ESXi 6 server with Ubuntu VM's doing WCG and I am planning to use the free version of Veeam backup as well as their new free endpoint backup for Windows. Anyone tried this software?

My questions on the AS5002 are:
1. Should I upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 2 or 4GB?
2. Is the management GUI comparable to DSM?

Update: I have purchased the AS5002T and 2 WD Red 2TB - will post back my thoughts later.....

Last edited:
Update to my post above:
Setup my new AS5002T with the 2 WD Red 2TB drives and ran Bad Sector Check and SMART scan from Dr. ASUSTOR - no errors after ~5 hours per disk. So far I am impressed with the hardware, it is quiet and looks/feels great.

To answer my own questions above:
1. I was planning to replace the 1GB onboard with a 2GB SO-DIMM I have purchased but now that I know that I can run VirtualBox with Ubuntu in a VM for WCG (Celeron J1800 dual core should be good for crunching), I think I will need another 2GB for total of 4GB.
2. I really like ADM it is very similar to DSM and easy to setup, load apps (there are lots.....).

So far so good :)

Put in as much RAM as you can, VM's don't take up much CPU time (except when they're working hard on task), but they'll definitely lock down whatever memory they're configured to use, and that memory is not available to the host for other tasks...

...I was planning to replace the 1GB onboard with a 2GB SO-DIMM I have purchased

I've just bought an AS5002T and was also wondering about the memory. I have no idea how much to get, but regardless, where did you get your 2GB SODIMM? According to the compatible memory page on the Asustor web site, everything points to their memory in their store (they've got no 3rd party stuff). I was thinking of 4GB. The 4GB module they show:

http://shop.asustor.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_74&product_id=74

is $119. If I just go to the Kingston site and search the "Server Premier" stuff (I'm not advocating this, it's just a place I went), and filter through the Asustor specs:

4GB DDR3L-1600 204Pin SO-DIMM RAM Module

that gives me their KVR16LSE11 memory. Looking on Newegg, I get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...42086&cm_re=kvr16lse11-_-20-242-086-_-Product

which sells for about $39. So, I'm at a loss. Either I'm looking for the wrong memory, or someone's profit margin is a wee bit high.

I've just bought an AS5002T and was also wondering about the memory. I have no idea how much to get, but regardless, where did you get your 2GB SODIMM?

I bought my 2GB (actually 2x2GB) from Amazon in UK but this is what I bought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820191448

4GB DDR3L-1600 204Pin SO-DIMM RAM Module that gives me their KVR16LSE11 memory.
Server memory (ECC) will not work in the NAS as it uses the Intel Celeron CPU that does not support ECC memory - it just uses standard laptop SO-DIMMs. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to find 1GB SO-DIMM now to add a second so you will have to remove the existing SO-DIMM and replace it with 2GB or 4GB, although I would recommend that you use 2x2GB (or 2x4GB max) as the Celeron uses a dual channel memory controller.

I bought my 2GB (actually 2x2GB) from Amazon in UK but this is what I bought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820191448

Server memory (ECC) will not work in the NAS as it uses the Intel Celeron CPU that does not support ECC memory - it just uses standard laptop SO-DIMMs. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to find 1GB SO-DIMM now to add a second so you will have to remove the existing SO-DIMM and replace it with 2GB or 4GB, although I would recommend that you use 2x2GB (or 2x4GB max) as the Celeron uses a dual channel memory controller.

Thank-you. That's extremely helpful. I was totally unaware that these didn't support ECC memory and I had been wondering about dual channel.

So, sticking with my initial choice of Kingston and Newegg, it seems I'd be looking at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...br=1&cm_re=KVR16LS11/8-_-20-239-696-_-Product

That's a 4GB module, but it's the smallest I could find. Two of those would run about $29 each vs Asustor's $119.

Edit: vendor name...
If NAS vendor's price for memory is not onerous, buying theirs might eliminate a bit of blame-game in the future.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!