What's new

Asustor AS3104T Hanging State?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GeneNZ

New Around Here
I was wondering if anyone has seen similar symptoms to my Asustor AS3104T NAS. I've engaged the Asustor Support, but they've been pretty useless and take days to reply.

The issue I'm having is after a cold boot the device behaves exactly as it should, but after a few hours, it will get into a state where if I try load up "System Information" in the ADM web interface, it'll just sit there forever with the "loading" screen. Also, all LED and scheduling functions on the device ceases to work. For example, the device will no longer go into night mode. If I try force it into night mode or into standby mode from the ADM interface while in this state, none of the seems to take either. Basically, the only way to return it to a functioning behavior is to reboot the device.

Of note, all the core functions seem to continue working - for example, I can still access all file shares even when it gets into this state.

I've actually also reset the device to default settings (including having all my data wiped) and I'm still experiencing the issues. I do have backups of course.

The Asustor support didn't really troubleshoot this and just told me to RMA it. Trouble is that if I RMA it, I'll likely be without the device for a few weeks and it's quite important. I'm just trying to exhaust all options before I have to go through this process.

The disks in the device are 3TB Toshiba disks and are on the compatibility list.

Appreciate anyone's insight!

EDIT: So I've done more research and I've narrowed down the issue to an error I found in /var/log/messages:

2016-06-09T11:34:50.026716+08:00 MediaStore kernel: [ 1494.030403] traps: emboardmand[2926] general protection ip:7fca699d72ac sp:7fca6606cb60 error:0 in libgeneraldrv.so.0.0[7fca699d3000+7000]

Seems to be a general protection fault. Since I've reset the device to default, I'm wondering if there's a memory corruption issue.

Last edited:
If that model uses SODIMMs, it might be worth trying to swap the SODIMM for another one.

Otherwise, it has a good chance of being a hardware failure, in which case you won't have any choice but have it sent for RMA. You could ask them if they offer any kind of advanced RMA service.

If that model uses SODIMMs, it might be worth trying to swap the SODIMM for another one.

Otherwise, it has a good chance of being a hardware failure, in which case you won't have any choice but have it sent for RMA. You could ask them if they offer any kind of advanced RMA service.

Thanks. Unfortunately the RAM is soldered directly to the motherboard.

Is there any utility to do a memtest? I can't find any onboard utility to do a memory test. I've also considered installed an memtester RPM, but unsure what would be the right RPM to install since I have no idea if ADM is based off a specific distro.

I was wondering if anyone has seen similar symptoms to my Asustor AS3104T NAS. I've engaged the Asustor Support, but they've been pretty useless and take days to reply.

The issue I'm having is after a cold boot the device behaves exactly as it should, but after a few hours, it will get into a state where if I try load up "System Information" in the ADM web interface, it'll just sit there forever with the "loading" screen. Also, all LED and scheduling functions on the device ceases to work. For example, the device will no longer go into night mode. If I try force it into night mode or into standby mode from the ADM interface while in this state, none of the seems to take either. Basically, the only way to return it to a functioning behavior is to reboot the device.

Of note, all the core functions seem to continue working - for example, I can still access all file shares even when it gets into this state.

I've actually also reset the device to default settings (including having all my data wiped) and I'm still experiencing the issues. I do have backups of course.

The Asustor support didn't really troubleshoot this and just told me to RMA it. Trouble is that if I RMA it, I'll likely be without the device for a few weeks and it's quite important. I'm just trying to exhaust all options before I have to go through this process.

The disks in the device are 3TB Toshiba disks and are on the compatibility list.

Appreciate anyone's insight!

EDIT: So I've done more research and I've narrowed down the issue to an error I found in /var/log/messages:

2016-06-09T11:34:50.026716+08:00 MediaStore kernel: [ 1494.030403] traps: emboardmand[2926] general protection ip:7fca699d72ac sp:7fca6606cb60 error:0 in libgeneraldrv.so.0.0[7fca699d3000+7000]

Seems to be a general protection fault. Since I've reset the device to default, I'm wondering if there's a memory corruption issue.
Protection fault sounds to me like a bug in the software that could be coding error or data used by the code that is incorrect and the code doesn't detect/cope with bad data (config or state data, not file data).
Just speculating.
Only way to know is to reset to factory condition and reinstall OS and updates. Since you've already deleted user data.

Any help from ASUStore user forum?

Protection fault sounds to me like a bug in the software that could be coding error or data used by the code that is incorrect and the code doesn't detect/cope with bad data (config or state data, not file data).
Just speculating.
Only way to know is to reset to factory condition and reinstall OS and updates. Since you've already deleted user data.

Any help from ASUStore user forum?

Part of me thinks the same - that it's an software bug. Each time I reboot and the fault occurs, it's the same library and program: "emboardmand". All the research I've pulled from Google suggests that also. If it was a memory error, then I would expect the error to be more erroneous. I've also checked dmesg and there is no errors/segfaults.

On the flip side, I have actually reset the device to factory condition and the issue reoccurs, which suggests a hardware fault. I wiped the device simply by using the "reset to default" from ADM.

One question: how do I completely wipe the OS and start from scratch? With my previous Synology device, the OS was installed on the RAID volume. I can't work out whether Asustor does the same, or uses a Flash DOM. If it's like the Synology device, I might wipe disks using DD and then try reinstall using that method. That would be a complete clean install.

Good idea to go ask the Asustor user forum.

Going back to your question about a memory tester for asustor NAS devices, there's nothing available in app central and nothing generic pre-installed on these boxes so far as I know. The onboard linux O/S is a bit of an asustor 'special' too which means it can be a pain to get stuff on there correctly installed and working. That said, one thing I've found that does work reasonably well is to install entware on the NAS and then use opkg to install utilities and packages.

Hope that helps
Joe

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!