What's new

Asustor AS5004T 1Gb to 8Gb memory upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bugmenotplz

Occasional Visitor
Hello guys, just bought the above mentioned NAS and I wonder if there is any benefit to upgrade the memory from 1 Gb to 8 GB? What are the benefits of more memory in relation to raid build or such operation type?

Hello guys, just bought the above mentioned NAS and I wonder if there is any benefit to upgrade the memory from 1 Gb to 8 GB? What are the benefits of more memory in relation to raid build or such operation type?

What are you going to use the NAS for? How many concurrent clients?

If it's just one person occasionally accessing the NAS, then there's no point in upgrading the memory. If however you intent to run software packages on it, use Kodi, etc... then I would suggest just replacing that 1 GB with a 4 GB SO-DIMM - those are about 30$, and should be more than enough. 8 GB would mostly be if you intend to run virtual machines on it.

I went with 4 GB for my own AS-5004T, which is more than enough to keep Kodi happy, while having some generous amount of buffering for file services.

Thanks man for the reply, I opened the case and saw that actually the side where the memory slots are situated, is covered by some black cardboard which is kept in place with 4 screws. And also the paper has some kind of "seal" glued to the currently inserted memory stick, meaning if I try to remove it it will break (for warranty I suppose). So I wonder if I can just insert another 4 GB mem stick in the other slot that is free. Any issues you can think of, if running with 2 sticks , one 1 GB and the other of 4 GB?

Thanks man for the reply, I opened the case and saw that actually the side where the memory slots are situated, is covered by some black cardboard which is kept in place with 4 screws. And also the paper has some kind of "seal" glued to the currently inserted memory stick, meaning if I try to remove it it will break (for warranty I suppose). So I wonder if I can just insert another 4 GB mem stick in the other slot that is free. Any issues you can think of, if running with 2 sticks , one 1 GB and the other of 4 GB?

No, the NAS does not allow mixing different module density according to Asustor's documentation. You will have to break the two small "seals" to remove that module, and replace it. I suspect however these are only to ensure they don't get accidentally "unlocked" from the latches more than warranty, otherwise they would have put a sticker on the case (and they wouldn't have advertized it as being user-upgradable either). Might be to confirm whether this is its original module in case of an in-warranty return at most.

I'm thinking of buying this NAS, was wondering which memory I could use? What brand? Do I need to buy Asustor memory module or not?

I'm thinking of buying this NAS, was wondering which memory I could use? What brand? Do I need to buy Asustor memory module or not?
Just brand name ones with matching specs. will do.

Make sure it's low-voltage (DDR3L).

I went with Kingston RAM - I always stick with them for all my RAM.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I went with Kingston RAM - I always stick with them for all my RAM.

Kingston is very good - as an alternative if Kingston isn't available in your market - consider Crucial (Micron's retail brand)...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!