What's new

Asustor vs Synology NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marcin Wilczek

New Around Here
Guys wanted to get your thoughts on getting a new NAS to replace my failing Windows Home Server 2011 box.

I want to choose between the following two devices:

Synology DS1815+

Asustor AS5108T

Note I do not want to build my own, I know many people would suggest it but I want an out of the box solution.

Looking at both of these boxes hardware wise they are pretty similar, though one is Atom the other is a Celeron, but I think in terms of performance these are somewhat similar.

The main purposes of these would be to:

1. Backup multiple PCs

2. Store Media files for backup and sharing

3. Stream media files to Chromcast, Fire TV, Boxee, etc.

4. Another backup from Cloud storage, OneDrive, GoogleDrive, etc. for each user

5. Personal Cloud for syncing file to be accessible by all users as well as real time backup

6. Backup the RAID array to Local and/or external storage

Reading about these two both will do the job and have VERY similar interfaces and build quality.

So I guess it comes down to still the Interface and the two companies and their support.

Wanted to get your thoughts on and which would you guys recommend and why.

Thanks

Would recommend Synology or QNAP today.

The Asustor needs a few years of earned trust before I could recommend.

As you note, it is the companies and their support that counts after you buy the hardware. Synology or QNAP have that hands down.

I read that a lot of people had very good experience with the Synology support which makes me lean towards them, even for that $160 US higher price, but wanted to see if others had good experiences with ASUSTor

I read that a lot of people had very good experience with the Synology support which makes me lean towards them, even for that $160 US higher price, but wanted to see if others had good experiences with ASUSTor

I would put the $160 towards more or better NAS hardware instead. The systems from both vendors will probably outlast your use of them.

For home and SOHO users, the DS1815+ is very likely a large overkill.

Be sure you buy hardware for an external backup (USB3 drive(s)).

RAID is not a backup.
More NAS drives == higher failure rate, in general.

My Synology DS212 has served me well for years. Runs latest NAS OS. Early-on I phoned for tech support and had great response from a knowledgeable person in Calif. who actually spoke English.

Well I need a large amount of storage and want flexibility to add and expand the array.
I am planning on backing up the data to drives that are not part of the array as well external storage.
Currently I have around 5 TB of data to move to the new NAS, and this will get larger as I move PC backups and backup RAW images to it.