What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.266.23b is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've just tried out 4.266.23b and realized my network throughput has reduced speeds.

For instance, before loading the firmware, I was able to get speeds approximately 20+mbps from speedtest.net. After updating the firmware, speed test shows around 12+ mbps.

Why has the speed reduced in all the devices I've tested?

** Note my devices and speedtests are only on 2.4ghz, WPA-Personal authentication method before & after the firmware upgrade. 5ghz has been disabled, transmit power & channel same as before upgrade **

I'm on a 50/50 fiber connection, no issues with speedtest.net
Same indication as always. (close to 50/50)

That option is to force it to disabled, it's not an actual ON/OFF switch for it. What I do is I simply don't load the CTF kernel module - same way as if you had QoS enabled.

Ah, so I can leave this radio button on any position? (Disable HW Accelerator button.)
Doesn't matter because the module affected isn't loaded anyway, right?

Last edited:
Ah, so I can leave this radio button on any position? (Disable HW Accelerator button.)
Doesn't matter because the module affected isn't loaded anyway, right?

That's correct.

I've just tried out 4.266.23b and realized my network throughput has reduced speeds.

For instance, before loading the firmware, I was able to get speeds approximately 20+mbps from speedtest.net. After updating the firmware, speed test shows around 12+ mbps.

Why has the speed reduced in all the devices I've tested?

** Note my devices and speedtests are only on 2.4ghz, WPA-Personal authentication method before & after the firmware upgrade. 5ghz has been disabled, transmit power & channel same as before upgrade **

Most of the times when people report random performance improvements/degradations after updating a firmware, it's not actually the firmware that's responsible, but simply the fact that the router was rebooted, and is now using a different channel which might be more or less affected by interferences. I have been using the same wireless driver for many versions now, so there shouldn't be any change in performance. That's why using a manual channel is usually recommended for best stability.

I feel kind of stupid asking, but for the life of me, I can not see how to enable the per IP traffic monitoring. There is no radio button, tab, or anything. The traffic monitoring page looks like it always did, whereas other pages look new.

I loaded 266.23 merlin build. As far as I can tell it does not show up on chrome or internet exploder, on my winxp32 system. I have not tried yet on my win7_64 system yet. I guess I can try that and also a router restart just for the heck of it.

Adding to everyone's comments, love the enhancements!

Tools->Other Settings->Enable advanced (per IP) monitoring->Yes :)

Merlin,

I loaded your new .23b firmware (cleared nvram) and I loss my wan connection. I loaded back tomatoUSB to get it back.

Any ideas?

A nice feature would be to add "edit" capability to the "Manually Assigned IP" list. If you make a typo, you have to delete and add, vs just change.

Last edited:
Merlin,

I loaded your new .23b firmware (cleared nvram) and I loss my wan connection. I loaded back tomatoUSB to get it back.

Any ideas?

With so little information, it can be virtually anything. You don't even specify if you had a DHCP or a PPPoE connection, for example.

A nice feature would be to add "edit" capability to the "Manually Assigned IP" list. If you make a typo, you also have to delete and add, vs just change.

Editing is something I might implement at some point, once Asus makes less changes to the webui. Such major UI changes will make it harder for me to merge with any changes Asus also did to the webui.

Another nice feature would be to also list the name added in the manually assigned and have it display on the connected client list.

I use the static IP's to add names to things that do not allow internal name edits (like non-rooted android phones), things that do not like to serve their names, and simple things like weather transmitters, etc.

PS: Tell me if I should be posting wish lists somewhere else. I am new to this forum, so I may be doing left field stuff by accident.

Having lots of fun though with the Merlin build!

QOS - Quality Of Service

My wish list is for Merlin to tweak up the Quality Of Service - QOS to make it near what Shibby and Toastman have on the Tomato builds. I am very tempted to jump on that bandwagon purely because of the QOS :)

Newbie question: i was wondering if there is a way to track the search engine searches and the websites visited by ip address, similar to the feature available on the TomatoUsb build?

I have communicated with ASUS Jeremy regarding better implementation of VLAN. Hope it will become fruitful.

Another nice feature would be to also list the name added in the manually assigned and have it display on the connected client list.

That's something I'll probably implement at some point, just lacking time these days.

My wish list is for Merlin to tweak up the Quality Of Service - QOS to make it near what Shibby and Toastman have on the Tomato builds. I am very tempted to jump on that bandwagon purely because of the QOS :)

QoS is a very complex thing, and doing any change to this would be opening a can of worms in terms of stability and reliability. I'm not expert enough in Linux networking to do even a half-decent job in that department, so I have no intention of changing this for now. People looking for a better QoS implementation should look at Tomato.

Newbie question: i was wondering if there is a way to track the search engine searches and the websites visited by ip address, similar to the feature available on the TomatoUsb build?

Not directly possible. The webmon module is included with the firmware, but it's not implemented/integrated.

Not directly possible. The webmon module is included with the firmware, but it's not implemented/integrated.

Maybe there is a post out there already, but is there a easy way of implement it?
If so, would you mind directing me to the post?