What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.266.23b is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is it possible to install something like transmission for torrents on Merlin build?

Yes, of course!
Please use the forum's search function on such basic topics (e.g. on how to install transmission)! :rolleyes:

Is it possible to install something like transmission for torrents on Merlin build?

Download Master never lets my HDD spin down but on Tomato, the using transmission to dl, my drive still spun down when idle.

See the Wiki link in my signature.

There is also a guide from TeHashX on the forums here on how to install Transmission.

See the Wiki link in my signature.

There is also a guide from TeHashX on the forums here on how to install Transmission.

Thanks.

I've read both your's and TeHashX's guide on installing transmission.

I have a 2TB drive formatted to ntfs and it has about 1.3TB of data in it already so formatting it isn't an option as all my drives combined isn't enough to store the data temporarily while it's being formatted.

Any chance of a future Asuswrt-Merlin firmware having a built-in transmission like on Tomato or a way without having to have EXT2/3?

Any chance of a future Asuswrt-Merlin firmware having a built-in transmission like on Tomato or a way without having to have EXT2/3?

No plan for this. This would add an extra support headache for me, in addition to taking a large amount of firmware storage. Already got my hands full with just the firmware itself. :)

What would be best would be for someone to get the Download Master source code from Asus, and actively develop it, still as a add-on, but using a more up-to-date version of its components.

You could plug a small USB flash drive that's formatted in ext2. Use it to install Entware, and use the NTFS-formatted drive to host your downloads. Any el cheapo 4$ USB flash drive would serve your needs.

Well it seems this firmware causes my router to go into recovery mode after the power is turned off or it is rebooted. I don't think I've seen that issue posted anywhere on here yet. I've given up trying to find the cause. I went back to the previous Merlin release and all seems well.

Even on other firmwares if I reboot the router or kill power the device needs to sit unplugged for 10 minutes before it will come back to life. It isn't in recovery mode. It's just as if nothing is there at all but the lights all light up. Maybe it's just something I'm doing/not doing.

Last edited:
Well it seems this firmware causes my router to go into recovery mode after the power is turned off or it is rebooted. I don't think I've seen that issue posted anywhere on here yet. I've given up trying to find the cause. I went back to the previous Merlin release and all seems well.

Even on other firmwares if I reboot the router or kill power the device needs to sit unplugged for 10 minutes before it will come back to life. It isn't in recovery mode. It's just as if nothing is there at all but the lights all light up. Maybe it's just something I'm doing/not doing.

Try unplugging any attached USB connectors after de-powering the router and see if that helps.

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.266.24

Merlin,

I've been using the beta firmware since 01/25. One of the first things I noticed after flashing was instability which seemed to be related to dhcp logging. It appeared the router was constantly logging requests for clients attempting to obtain an IP. To reestablish stability, I turned the logging off. The router did seem to recover after that. Then this morning I noticed that I was unable to see dhcp lease times and the following log entry.

Jan 29 04:38:35 dnsmasq-dhcp[7884]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Jan 29 04:38:45 dnsmasq-dhcp[7884]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Jan 29 04:38:55 dnsmasq-dhcp[7884]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Jan 29 04:39:55 dnsmasq-dhcp[7884]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Jan 29 04:39:57 dnsmasq-dhcp[7884]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Jan 29 04:40:57 dnsmasq-dhcp[7884]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Jan 29 04:41:01 dnsmasq-dhcp[7884]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Jan 29 04:41:12 dnsmasq-dhcp[7884]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Jan 29 04:41:56 dnsmasq-dhcp[7884]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Jan 29 04:42:03 dnsmasq-dhcp[7884]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on d

I can assure not this firmware that cause the router to reset back to recovery mode. My 1st RT-AC66 had this problem too no matter what firmware I installed. In the end, I send back to claim warranty.
The new set I got now dont have such problem

I can assure not this firmware that cause the router to reset back to recovery mode. My 1st RT-AC66 had this problem too no matter what firmware I installed. In the end, I send back to claim warranty.
The new set I got now dont have such problem

I suspect that something is wrong with the NAND type used by the RT-AC66U. That flash memory has support for bad block management, and I'm not sure that either this bad block management was properly implemented by Asus, or that this flash technology is working reliably. For instance, the mtd-erase function would randomly choke while trying to erase the NAND. Unfortunately, I'm suspecting this is a design flaw of this router. That would explain this common trend:

• Some users received new RT-AC66U that were in Recovery Mode out of the factory
  • Erasing the JFFS partition will randomly fail, or randomly succeed (I had to implement bad block skipping in the mtd-erase code for this to work reliably)
  • Some people experiencing random "reboot-to-recovery"

I'm not sure if this can be fully resolved in software (like I did by adding the bad block skipping code that was missing in Asus' MTD erase code). Unfortunately, the only thing I can recommend at this point is for users to RMA their router if they notice random reboots to recovery.

That would explain this common trend:

• Some users received new RT-AC66U that were in Recovery Mode out of the factory
  • Erasing the JFFS partition will randomly fail, or randomly succeed (I had to implement bad block skipping in the mtd-erase code for this to work reliably)
  • Some people experiencing random "reboot-to-recovery"

My problematic 1st RT-AC66 came with Recovery mode out of factory..
2nd one is perfect thus far

Just so we are clear. It sounds like you guys are saying that the router would randomly reboot and then enter recovery? That isn't what is happening with mine. I rebooted the router myself, and after this, it just goes into recovery mode. Pulling the usb drive didn't make a difference. It has only done it with this firmware but I can't say I've done any real testing on this. I don't get much of a chance to mess with it with a wedding coming up and long hours in the office.

Just so we are clear. It sounds like you guys are saying that the router would randomly reboot and then enter recovery? That isn't what is happening with mine. I rebooted the router myself, and after this, it just goes into recovery mode. Pulling the usb drive didn't make a difference. It has only done it with this firmware but I can't say I've done any real testing on this. I don't get much of a chance to mess with it with a wedding coming up and long hours in the office.

That's what I meant. The random part isn't the reboot, it's how it will sometime enter Recovery Mode for some users when they reboot it, forcing them to reflash it again.

Hi Merlin, slightly off topic. Is it possible to implement 14 channels for Wireless 2.4 Ghz?

No plan to override country regulations, sorry.

Hi just wondering if anybody is having dyndns update issues

Im getting this in the log but it did update earlier today??

Feb 5 15:12:34 ddns update: connected to members.dyndns.org (204.13.248.111) on port 80.
Feb 5 15:12:34 ddns update: error recv()ing reply: Connection reset by peer
Feb 5 15:12:34 ddns update: server output:
Feb 5 15:12:34 ddns update: strange server response, are you connecting to the right server?
Feb 5 15:12:37 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

Any ideas???

Well ive sorted the problem - kind of - its updating now at least BUT

It doesnt update dyndns settings as much as my Ip address changes

I didnt have problems with this previously ??

Anybody have any ideas??