What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.24 BETA 4 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got these after the N66 rebooted from firmware update. I did not include all the logs but it took about 2 minutes then it stops.

Feb 1 23:48:47 miniupnpd[599]: cannot read /sys/class/net/eth0/speed file : No such file or directory
Feb 1 23:48:47 miniupnpd[599]: cannot read /sys/class/net/eth0/speed file : No such file or directory
I have reproduce the log by doing a speed test from the site below.
http://testmy.net/
It's not consistent though but doing a speed test on that site sometimes produce the log. Could be miniupnpd is not allowing the site to access a temporary file? I notice this firmware does not accurately measure my upload speed from the site, possibly because it can not read the file it needed to measure. Flash player based speed tests(speedtest.net) works properly though.

Windows 8 Pro
IE 10 Desktop

Last edited:
Simply ignore those miniupnpd log entries. Tomato has logging changed to hide them, and Oleg has flat out removed the logging call.

I will go the same route as Oleg and remove it. It's just that the Broadcom driver doesn't seem to set the "speed" entry under sysfs.

Hello ... just updated and ... now I can't map my network drives any longer on my Win7 environment.
Normally I see my Synology DS213+ NAS as a physical drive ...
Not even DLNA device was able to connect again to the router.

On the iMac, I see no problems in addressing the NAS on the same network. Looks nothing changed.

Reverted to the .23 and the the problems disappeared ...

Hope this helps in improving the fw. Thanks for your fine job ...

Regards.
Luca

Probably something with your Windows machine, as the router has nothing to do with networking mapping to a NAS. Possibly a simple reboot of the PC and the router would have solved it. Possible that one of them didn't get a valid DHCP lease after the FW upgrade, for instance.

Looks like there are still issues left with IE and the Sysinfo page. Some versions of IE works, and others don't.

I hate IE... Consistency over versions have never been Microsoft's strength.

Looks like there are still issues left with IE and the Sysinfo page. Some versions of IE works, and others don't.

I hate IE... Consistency over versions have never been Microsoft's strength.

Yes, Ethernet ports status is not consistent in the tools page.
W8/IE10 desktop

Attachments

• EPorts.jpg
    EPorts.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 476
Still looks good here this morning. No odd messages in the log overnight, still running well.

I've turned off upnp, so that may be why I'm not seeing those errors. I do see the "IE 10 on Windows 8 sticks on querying ethernet ports on Sysinfo page" problem when I look, but since I never use IE to look at the router admin page, I wouldn't have found this.

And I still see all MAC addresses in the client lists when I refresh, which still seems odd to me, but I refresh that again and the symbolic names eventually appear. When I was just testing my RT-N56U (which now uses the same GUI as the RT-N66U admin) for the last few days, I didn't see that at all, the symbolic names appeared the first time, no refreshes needed. But since it goes away after while, it's not something I care about. Just notice it.

No idea how doable that would be and what it would involve. I might have a look at this later, but for now this is fairly low priority.
Thanks. I understand its not urgent, but guessing it would simply be to add new items to the Scale dropdown with different multipliers.

I also had a repeat of a problem with Beta 1 which broke the Traffic Monitoring for individual devices giving the following log entry:

Feb 2 21:18:06 cstats[522]: Problem loading /mnt/sda1/Asus/tomato_cstats_08606e22a2f8.gz. Still trying...

I did resets on the data files and it seems to have sorted it again

Noticed a few changes after installing BETA2:

1. Reboot takes 1 minute and 30 seconds. 30 seconds more than the previous versions. I checked this yesterday and today with same results.

2. System log - DHCP leases: I find a list of leases with host names starting with "UPCGW_EFxx". Did not had this before with all previous FW. See screenshot

3. System log - Wireless log: IP address xxx.1.3 shows host "UPCGW_EF01", where in DHCP leases screen IP xxx.1.3 shows host name "FamRoelofs-PC" and IP xxx.1.19 has host name "UPCGW_EF01". See screenshots. (fyi I manually assigned IP xxx.1.3 to FamRoelofs-PC)

Others:
4. I have a ntfs usb hdd attached for media server. Facing similar issues as before, was hoping some improvements with ntfs, but assume have to convert to EXT3 to make it really stable

5. Using IE10 Preview version for Win7. Many times have to change the documentmode to "standards", as it automatically changes its setting to standards for IE7. When this happens the menu at the left only shows the symbols and all texts in the boxes disappears.

6. Rest looks stable :)

Attachments

• Asus UPCGW list.PNG
    Asus UPCGW list.PNG
    31.7 KB · Views: 637
  • Asus Wireless log.PNG
    Asus Wireless log.PNG
    30.5 KB · Views: 631
Probably something with your Windows machine, as the router has nothing to do with networking mapping to a NAS. Possibly a simple reboot of the PC and the router would have solved it. Possible that one of them didn't get a valid DHCP lease after the FW upgrade, for instance.

Thanks for your reply ... of course I did twice the complete reboot of the network: router, NAS, PC, iMac, BlueRay and the problem was still there.
When I performed the downgrade everything went right again.

Noticed a few changes after installing BETA2:

1. Reboot takes 1 minute and 30 seconds. 30 seconds more than the previous versions. I checked this yesterday and today with same results.

Reboot time can vary based on a lot of factors: timing while starting services, the presence of a plugged HDD that might require scanning, etc...

2. System log - DHCP leases: I find a list of leases with host names starting with "UPCGW_EFxx". Did not had this before with all previous FW. See screenshot

3. System log - Wireless log: IP address xxx.1.3 shows host "UPCGW_EF01", where in DHCP leases screen IP xxx.1.3 shows host name "FamRoelofs-PC" and IP xxx.1.19 has host name "UPCGW_EF01". See screenshots. (fyi I manually assigned IP xxx.1.3 to FamRoelofs-PC)

Those are all valid-looking leases, and must come from something on your networking actually requesting these leases, or a neighbour accessing your router if it's not properly secured. If you check the syslog you will probably see the associated DHCP requests getting logged.

Others:
4. I have a ntfs usb hdd attached for media server. Facing similar issues as before, was hoping some improvements with ntfs, but assume have to convert to EXT3 to make it really stable

NTFS remains a hacked backport under Linux. Nothing that can be done about it, since Microsoft doesn't provide any source code (and I don't think they even document the data structures, so it has to be implemented through reverse engineering). NTFS also lacks certain features that native Linux filesystems have, such as symlinks.

5. Using IE10 Preview version for Win7. Many times have to change the documentmode to "standards", as it automatically changes its setting to standards for IE7. When this happens the menu at the left only shows the symbols and all texts in the boxes disappears.

No issue here under either IE9 (Win7) or IE10 (Win8). Could be a problem with the preview version. My honest answer: use a web browser that actually works properly :) Despite the recent hype, IE is still badly broken in many, many ways. A lot of things that work fine under every other browsers out there might fail under IE. I can fix the most obvious issues, but re-writing the whole UI to work properly under both IE and properly-designed browsers is next to impossible without making the whole webui code very, very messy.

Yeah, that's normal. Auto configure only works properly if BOTH sides are using it. In your case, the router is in auto while the Cisco is on manual, therefore causing issues.

Look at it on the bright side - this new feature probably let you discover a network problem you didn't even know you had until now :)

Hey Merlin, about to pickup an N66U and wanted to contribute since you've done so much.

When auto-negotiation was first introduce to 10/100Mbit devices, there were interoperability issues causing duplex mismatches to occur. The general rule of thumb is if you're connecting via 100Mbit, then explicitly set both sides to 100 Full and *don't* use auto-negotiation to minimize chances for mismatch. Let me restate - Setting both sides to auto-negotation on 100Mb connections is not recommended and still can lead to half-duplex.

With gigabit clients/switches, the auto-negotiation issues have been resolved and setting both sides to auto is the preferred if attempting to connect at gigabit speeds.

Hope this clarifies things a bit. ;)

Last edited:
No issue here under either IE9 (Win7) or IE10 (Win8). Could be a problem with the preview version. My honest answer: use a web browser that actually works properly :) Despite the recent hype, IE is still badly broken in many, many ways. A lot of things that work fine under every other browsers out there might fail under IE.

To save you time, why not just rip out support for anything not IE9 (winXP/Vista) or 10(win7+)? There's no reason not to at this stage.

IE10 is a complete rewrite to conform to standards, and 99% of all things that work in FF/Chrome work in IE10 at this point.

Once I get the N66U, I'll take a look at a few things from the HTML/CSS side and see if there's any tips I might have to assist. if it'd help, I could look into throwing together a guide for UI troubleshooting so you're not getting false positive reports.

To save you time, why not just rip out support for anything not IE9 (winXP/Vista) or 10(win7+)? There's no reason not to at this stage.

I prefer not to go too heavy-handed on webui changes, as this would make it harder to merge in Asus changes. That's one of the reasons why I put most of my changes under a new Tools menu, except when it would be more logical to insert them in an existing page.

I noticed that Asus regularly mentions fixes for specific browser versions in new firmware releases, and I often see them do minor tweaks to the JS code, probably mostly to improve with compatibility.

Part of the problem with the webui code at this point is it's a fairly complex mixture of Javascript, jQuery, backend-powered EJScript and what not. Some code comes from Tomato, other comes from other firmwares, and the rest is written by Asus from scratch. Ideally, I'd like to see them rewrite it to be more uniform, and rely more regularly on jQuery instead of just seeing it used on some pages. Some pages uses $(var), others use E(var), and others do GetEelementByID().

That is something that I have slowly started to do with my own pages, but I intend to do a thorough pass at my own pages to standardize them in that aspect. No ETA yet as to when I'll be able to focus on that. So much to do, and so little time...

Various issues occurring under IE have been fixed in trunk. Seemed to be a timing issue that would only occur under IE. I tried to make the name resolution code more linear, should be more reliable now on the SysInfo, and Per Device traffic monitoring pages.

Been running the beta in AP mode for 2 days. So far it has been rock solid, my log is empty!

Thanks Merlin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!