What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.51 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Highlights of this release:

• Official support for the RT-N16 is being dropped. This last model based on SDK5 requires too much efforts to maintain. New features such as the new wireless log would have to be re-written specifically for that model.
  • The RT-AC3200 is now supported.
  • Entware is now supported on ARM models, based on Zyxmon's Qnapware repository
  • Completely redesigned the Wireless Log page. With the addition of a third radio on the RT-AC3200, the old flat display was getting difficult to use efficiently. This new design uses a proper table layout for improved readability. Other notable improvements is that the page will automatically update itself using Ajax, making it easy to keep track of your steered clients in (near) realtime on the RT-AC3200. Finally as an added bonus, clients connected to a Guest wireless will also be labeled as such (with a G flag).
  • The original NAT loopback I was using has been re-added. I attempted to have it reapplied whenever the DPI engine gets restarted. There might still be situations where the loopback fails to be reapplied, as most of the DPI engine is closed source.
  • Since neither of the current NAT loopbacks (Asus and mine) are fully reliable, I have made both of them available. You can chose which NAT loopback implementation to use on the Firewall page. I recommend using mine for non-DPI builds. For DPI builds experiment with both (at least until Asus resolves the issues with their own implementation).
  • Samba was updated to 3.6.25 (and the AiCloud version had the CVE-2015-0240 patch backported).
  • Improvements to printer support, thanks to patches and backports provided by stsichler. Issues where printings were missing the last part should be resolved.
  • Connection issues for Beeline customers should be resolved
  • I decided to disable the offline page that gets displayed whenever your browser fails to connect to the router's webui. Note that you must delete your browser's offline content to fully get rid of it.

What I need tested in this release:

• Try out the two NAT loopbacks, especially mine to see if it works reliably enough with the additional changes I made to it
  • Try out printer support, please report if it resolved any issues you were previously having with it
  • Try out the new Wireless Log page, report any issues you experience. Note: AP/repeater clients won't show a name - this is normal, as the AP/RP isn't the one handling name resolution.
  • Please report any oddity with the RT-AC3200 that does not happen with the stock firmware

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
Preview of the new Wireless Log display:

wlclients.png

Known issues:

• SNMP missing on RT-AC3200 (will be added for the next release)
  • RSSI not reported for Guest clients (fixed on Github)
  • Downloadmaster fails to install on the RT-AC66U (expat package was invalid)

Last edited:
Thanks

fw_nat_loopback=2 working fine for me

love the new Wireless Log page,
but I would prefer same devicenames as in networkmap/clients (if possible)

Thank you very much! Really like the new auto refreshing Wireless Log Page:) Though displaying the host names is not available in AP mode, it would be nice if the saved name entries of the custom_clientlist could be displayed otherwise.

Noticed that on my RT-AC68u (AP mode) the USB-Application is not available on the left side navigation bar anymore.

Attachments

• Navbar_old.jpg
    Navbar_old.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,059
Wireless log is rock and roll :D. What's the thing about the other loopback ? What's different ? Is it only regarding DPI ? Is that Trend Micro thing only for ARM ? It can't be ported, isn't it ?

Last edited:
Hi

I know you get this question a lot but do I need to do a reset if coming from 378.50?

I know it's advised if I've missed a few releases.

Thanks

Wow merlin!,
I must say this looks promising, so glad you redone the wireless log, that was one reason I liked dd-wrt over asus or yours, but now its similar to a point.

Going to put it on now. I will update this post. I hope I can get rid of ps4 lag with this one somehow if and when it shows up.
Thank You!!

EDIT1:
Ok lets try to fix the ps4 lag without turning off nat acceleration please?
Any advice on some settings to try??
on my lag test I do
dd-wrt = 3 - 3 1/2 seconds (4 seconds max)) great!
now asus or yours (nat acceleration on)I get 8 seconds!
as you see double.

EDIT2:
I turned off nat acceleration and no internet access UNTIL I went to WAN, Internet connections tab then clicked apply.
my ps4 lag test shows 4-5 seconds now with it off but still not as good as dd-wrt?

The only thing I can think of is asus UPnP is not right at all, why because I do see the lag with dd-wrt, with UPnP off in dd-wrt, but with it on I get my great results above.
I really believe it is not working properly at all, and this may also be the cause of lots of other problems people have.

I just tried to cycle UPnP off and tried my lag test 9 seconds, then back on and now can only get 8 seconds, something is up with that!!

EDIT3:
I have enabled DMZ to the ps4
I have disabled "spanning-tree protocol" tests below with it off.
ps4 lag test with nat acceleration on, 4-6 seconds.
ps4 lag test with nat acceleration off, 4 seconds, still dd-wrt gets about 1/2 second better and that is a lot in a game.
But everytime I change something, that causes the router to reboots I loose internet and have to click apply in WAN to get it back.

EDIT4:
I rebooted the router from the web gui.
ps4 lag test was 10+ seconds. WOW
So I had to go back into each page
1. Lan, switch control enable then disable both "nat acceleration" and "spanning-tree protocol" then click apply.
2. IPv6 enable then disable both advertisement and DHCPv6 server then click apply.
3. Of course go into WAN and click apply to get wifi back on anything that reboots the router.
NOW ps4 lag test is 4 seconds again.
So after reboot settings are not staying. Also still 1/2 second lag on ps4 vs dd-wrt firmware.
at this point I do not know what else to try.

EDIT5:
went back to dd-wrt, it has very little difference in test BUT less lag (in the past asus firmware would get more lag over time until a reboot)
I can not leave firmware on that when I or someone reboots the router, there is no internet until one logs in goes to WAN and click apply.

EDIT6:
Something else I did notice now, when testing....
I click to view my dvr form within my house on 5GHz using my external WAN IP..
---Form your and asus builds, I see my cameras come up not really bad but noticeable one at a time.
---From dd-wrt, they just all pop up instaniusly.

Last edited:
FTP denied access

Hi guys,

Please, I need your help.
I'm unable to access at the FTP since web browser.
I have tried with diferents browsers and diferents PC's.
The message said "Not allowed to use restricted ports"

Everything is confugurated ok, even I can access to the FTP with all FTP clients in Mac, PC or Tablet, but not through the web browser.

I have disabled antivirus and firewall, but it still doesn't work.

Could you help me, please?

wow, regarding the wireless log, this is starting to look like the tomato page I missed 2 years ago. Thank you.

Works great so far, especially the new wireless log. Running in AP mode.

When you say " Since neither of the current NAT loopbacks (Asus and mine) are fully reliable, I have made both of them available. You can chose which NAT loopback implementation to use on the Firewall page. I recommend using mine for non-DPI builds. For DPI builds experiment with both (at least until Asus resolves the issues with their own implementation). "

Can you explain what DPI is? What is a non-DPI vs DPI build? Thanks.

Hi Merlin, is the Traffic Analyzer enabled for RT-AC68U in this beta?

Thanks

Looks like the new traffic analyzer is present (at least for 87U).
However, I am wondering how to rename some of the names in it. As my home pc is listed as Jieming-PC which is not the name of my pc, not sure where it pulls that name or how to change it.

Looks like the new traffic analyzer is present (at least for 87U).
However, I am wondering how to rename some of the names in it. As my home pc is listed as Jieming-PC which is not the name of my pc, not sure where it pulls that name or how to change it.

if you've enabled traffic analysis, that should disappear. you're looking at sample data

How much time did it take before you see any data?
My took 8 hours before anything appeared.

Will there also come a beta or final version for the AC56U with ta and dpi? Especial I like the network protection, it has blocked already several malicious sites.

Hi Merlin

I installed 378.51 beta1 onto my n66u running 378.50

I was happy with 378.50 but I did seem to have a few random connection problems with my wireless canon printer, so thought I would try this beta

So far I cant see any problems, must say though I dont really use any of the features on these routers.

I never performed a reset and all seems fine, I tried printing from my ipad and it worked first time so hopefully 378.51 fixed something?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!