What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting the DDNS problem: Unauthorized registration request!.

tMPG5bK.png

Here is the System Log:
  • Jan 1 01:00:44 ddns update: ez-ipupdate: starting...
  • Jan 1 01:00:44 ddns update: connected to nwsrv-ns1.asus.com (103.10.4.108) on port 80.
  • Jan 1 01:00:47 ddns update: Asus update entry:: return: HTTP/1.1 401 |Authorization failed^M Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 08:27:39 GMT^M Server: Apache/2.4.9 (Unix) PHP/5.5.14 OpenSSL/1.0.1h^M X-Powered-By: PHP/5.5.14^M Content-Length: 0^M Content-Type: text/html^M ^M
  • Jan 1 01:00:47 ddns update: retval= 2, ddns_return_code (,401)
  • Jan 1 01:00:47 ddns update: asusddns_update: 2
  • Jan 1 01:00:47 ntp: start NTP update

I thought that only happened if you use a non-ASUS MAC address on the WAN port when you are using MAC cloning. To use ASUS's DDNS service, the MAC address has to be an ASUS one.

I am getting the DDNS problem: Unauthorized registration request!.

tMPG5bK.png

Here is the System Log:
  • Jan 1 01:00:44 ddns update: ez-ipupdate: starting...
  • Jan 1 01:00:44 ddns update: connected to nwsrv-ns1.asus.com (103.10.4.108) on port 80.
  • Jan 1 01:00:47 ddns update: Asus update entry:: return: HTTP/1.1 401 |Authorization failed^M Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 08:27:39 GMT^M Server: Apache/2.4.9 (Unix) PHP/5.5.14 OpenSSL/1.0.1h^M X-Powered-By: PHP/5.5.14^M Content-Length: 0^M Content-Type: text/html^M ^M
  • Jan 1 01:00:47 ddns update: retval= 2, ddns_return_code (,401)
  • Jan 1 01:00:47 ddns update: asusddns_update: 2
  • Jan 1 01:00:47 ntp: start NTP update

I thought that only happened if you use a non-ASUS MAC address on the WAN port when you are using MAC cloning. To use ASUS's DDNS service, the MAC address has to be an ASUS one.
Sorry I don't understand what you described. What do you mean by "the MAC address has to be an ASUS one".

I logged today again in my router and now there is no exclamation mark. The problem is gone.

The backup was from the previous version as well. I haven't had any issues since. I don't know what specifically caused the issue I was having but on the previous firmware with a settings restore that was saved from that version seems to have done the trick for me. I will more than likely wait for the next version before flashing.

Is there some sort of better way to reset these routers? I had asked about how to clean the NVRAM but hadn't noticed a how to for that.
Yes here is a nice write-up explaining it all with various options to clear nvram. http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Sorry I don't understand what you described. What do you mean by "the MAC address has to be an ASUS one".

I logged today again in my router and now there is no exclamation mark. The problem is gone.

It sounds like ASUS's DDNS service may have been temporarily offline. It happens from time to time.

The first three octets of every MAC address are associated with a particular manufacturer. When you use ASUS's DDNS service, they check the MAC address of your router's WAN port, and if it is not one assigned to ASUS, they deny the DDNS registration. It's their way of providing the service only to customers who bought their hardware. If you clone the MAC address of, for example, your old Linksys router, then your ASUS router will appear to them to be a Linksys when you try to register and they will reject it.

It sounds like ASUS's DDNS service may have been temporarily offline. It happens from time to time.

The first three octets of every MAC address are associated with a particular manufacturer. When you use ASUS's DDNS service, they check the MAC address of your router's WAN port, and if it is not one assigned to ASUS, they deny the DDNS registration. It's their way of providing the service only to customers who bought their hardware. If you clone the MAC address of, for example, your old Linksys router, then your ASUS router will appear to them to be a Linksys when you try to register and they will reject it.
Thanks for the explanation. Well it is a RT-AC87U Router from Asus. And the creation of the Asus DDNS name was successful.

I think that the problem might be on the Asus DDNS service, just as you said too.

Hi,

I have huge problems since I upgraded to 378.55. My AC-87U keeps constantly dropping internet connection (red led lit) and DNS lookup or opening web pages fail. Interestingly still active connections remain active and when I log in to webinterface and I apply wan settings lit goes back to blue and WAN is working again. But this happens sometimes multiple times in one hour. I had "Dual WAN" enabled and I disabled it. I also tried downgrading to previous firmware but it says "invalid package". And then I tried firmware reset and restoring settings but so far it doesn't help.

My last idea I still have would be to completely factory reset without restoring the settings, reconfiguring everything from scratch (which would take a lot of effort). If anyone has any idea or similar problems or even better a fix please let me know asap. Currently the router definitly drives me nuts.

Best regards,

Marc

PS: Why isn't it possible to downgrade?

Marc, downgrading should not be a problem, try re-downloading the file. Use a SHA256 hash checker tool to verify the file, hashes are posted on firmware download page (http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/download). Just make sure the hash you get from the tool matches the one on the download page, if not, your file is corrupt.

Also, loading your settings from a backup file after a factory reset defeats the purpose of doing a reset. Try a factory reset and a minimum working config. Is your network very complex?

Edit: I kinda forgot you download zip files not trx files, and IIRC zip files already has some sort of file integrity check, so the file is probably OK. Did you remember to unzip?

Last edited:
A few of us have mentioned that clients drop connection with this fw build, my tblet doesn't even pick up a wifi signal upstairs anymore.

Marc, downgrading should not be a problem, try re-downloading the file. Use a SHA256 hash checker tool to verify the file, hashes are posted on firmware download page (http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/download). Just make sure the hash you get from the tool matches the one on the download page, if not, your file is corrupt.

Also, loading your settings from a backup file after a factory reset defeats the purpose of doing a reset. Try a factory reset and a minimum working config. Is your network very complex?

Edit: I kinda forgot you download zip files not trx files, and IIRC zip files already has some sort of file integrity check, so the file is probably OK. Did you remember to unzip?

Thanks for pointing out that downgrading is not a problem. My network config is not necessarily complex it's just a lot of stuff ot input as I have a lot of fixed IP's (around 20 where you have to bind ip to mac), quite a lot of WLANs clients with MAC Filter enabled, lots of port forwarding rules and so on, local timeserver, ddns, aicloud stuff, and so on.

I suspected that maybe restoring config would defeat the purpose of resetting but it was the quickest thing to try as I didn't know if everything which gets reset will be overwritten by the config on restore or if there are parts which do not belong to the config which need a reset. But at least my question is answered now.

Thanks for your help.

(...) When you use ASUS's DDNS service, they check the MAC address of your router's WAN port, and if it is not one assigned to ASUS, they deny the DDNS registration. It's their way of providing the service only to customers who bought their hardware. If you clone the MAC address of, for example, your old Linksys router, then your ASUS router will appear to them to be a Linksys when you try to register and they will reject it.

This isn't true, my rt68u has copied its MAC address from my ISP-provided Zyxel router, because if the router's MAC isn't what my ISP expects it to be my ISP won't communicate with it.
Despite this, the asuscomm.com DDNS service works just fine. I use it all the time to VPN into my home network.

This is a likely explanation, or temporary issues with some server.

I've been running Asus Beta FW .7410 for over a week now without any 5Ghz dropouts. So far, so good. :) The future Merlin-releases will probably be really good with this driver.

I've been running Asus Beta FW .7410 for over a week now without any 5Ghz dropouts. So far, so good. :) The future Merlin-releases will probably be really good with this driver.
What device are you running? I am stable on 378.55 with my ac68u.

I don't have any hard numbers, but it seems ARM devices generally do well with this release, mixed reviews otherwise..

Oh and if it matters, I use IPv6 (6rd), beamforming, VPN, IPTV traffic (VLAN/IGMP features) which are features users claim to give stability issues, I live in a wifi congested area and I have a bunch of different clients, four of which are 802.11ac capable (of which 3 are Apple devices, which also gets a bad rep for 5GHz stability). One particular Macbook Air has issues with a bunch of different 5GHz AP's, but luckily not mine with this F/W.

Performance-wise I am seeing 460 - 480 Mbit/s real transfer speeds (~60MB/s) on my 2-stream clients, which I think is good, unfortunately I don't have 3-stream clients, but performance seems to be okay.

What device are you running? I am stable on 378.55 with my ac68u.

I don't have any hard numbers, but it seems ARM devices generally do well with this release, mixed reviews otherwise..

Oh and if it matters, I use IPv6 (6rd), beamforming, VPN, IPTV traffic (VLAN/IGMP features) which are features users claim to give stability issues, I live in a wifi congested area and I have a bunch of different clients, four of which are 802.11ac capable (of which 3 are Apple devices, which also gets a bad rep for 5GHz stability). One particular Macbook Air has issues with a bunch of different 5GHz AP's, but luckily not mine with this F/W.

Performance-wise I am seeing 460 - 480 Mbit/s real transfer speeds (~60MB/s) on my 2-stream clients, which I think is good, unfortunately I don't have 3-stream clients, but performance seems to be okay.

I have a AC87U. Dropouts on the 5Ghz band seem to happen for some ppl (me included) on FW earlier than Beta .7410.

It's good that they are getting around to fix it thou. :)

The RT-AC87U Quantenna driver from the 378_7xxx betas is badly broken in various ways. First problem being that it drains mobile device batteries overnight on the 5 GHz band.

The RT-AC87U Quantenna driver from the 378_7xxx betas is badly broken in various ways. First problem being that it drains mobile device batteries overnight on the 5 GHz band.

Now that you mention it, I noticed worse battery life lately.

What's the general advice for now then? To stick with your FW and not use 5Ghz at all for now?

Now that you mention it, I noticed worse battery life lately.

What's the general advice for now then? To stick with your FW and not use 5Ghz at all for now?

Well that's what I'm doing for now, otherwise the wife swears at me every 5 mins because the internet isn't working on her phone! :p

It's safer for everyone this way, especially me! ;)

Well that's what I'm doing for now, otherwise the wife swears at me every 5 mins because the internet isn't working on her phone! :p

It's safer for everyone this way, especially me! ;)

I guess that's what I'll do then... same issue with mu wife btw. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!