What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that you mention it, I noticed worse battery life lately.

What's the general advice for now then? To stick with your FW and not use 5Ghz at all for now?

Stick with mine (378.55 is based on 378_6117), or older Asus firmwares that are also in the 378_6xxx series.

The RT-AC87U Quantenna driver from the 378_7xxx betas is badly broken in various ways. First problem being that it drains mobile device batteries overnight on the 5 GHz band.

That explains why when I'm connected to 5GHz on my AC87U, the battery on my iToy 5 goes from 100% to about 30% overnight, but when I'm connected to 5GHz on my AC66U it drains to about about 95%. So I guess I'm confirming the observation.

Merlin even with 378_6xxx builds, the battery drain is there!

It shouldn't be, since 378.55 uses the QTN firmware from 378_6117, and it's not affected. The issue only appeared for me when I tried to upgrade it to the 378_7xxx QTN SDK.

That explains why when I'm connected to 5GHz on my AC87U, the battery on my iToy 5 goes from 100% to about 30% overnight, but when I'm connected to 5GHz on my AC66U it drains to about about 95%. So I guess I'm confirming the observation.
Not really a 'managed' test... If during that one night a shipload of updates has been blazing through your device this would explain the difference. So hold your horses with these 'conclusions'.

Not really a 'managed' test... If during that one night a shipload of updates has been blazing through your device this would explain the difference. So hold your horses with these 'conclusions'.

He never said over one night.

I'd like to check in. I just happened to check my system log. 32 days, 11 hours, and 53 minutes of rock solid uptime using this version (AC66R). That's just solid work right there.

I am seeing some strange behavior using OpenVPN client and 378.55 on a AC68. I have client configured on the AC68 to connect to the OpenVPN server. Works great, except my throughput of about 27Mbps seemed a little low. When I direct connection to the OpenVPN from my PC my throughput is > 100Mbps. So as an experiment I tried two things:
  1. I disabled iptraffic to enable HW Acceleration. When I do this my throughput falls to < 10Mbps when I use the AC68 OpenVPN client. When I re-enable iptraffic, throughput is back up to 27 Mbps.
  2. When I use a TCP based OpenVPN connection from the AC68 (instead of UDP), my throughput goes to 37 Mbps. I gain 10 Mbps by switching to TCP, even though UDP should be faster.
I figure there is a chance this is an anomaly on my router or my OpenVPN connection, but has anyone else seen similar behavior like this?

- Henrik

I am seeing some strange behavior using OpenVPN client and 378.55 on a AC68. I have client configured on the AC68 to connect to the OpenVPN server. Works great, except my throughput of about 27Mbps seemed a little low. When I direct connection to the OpenVPN from my PC my throughput is > 100Mbps. So as an experiment I tried two things:
  1. I disabled iptraffic to enable HW Acceleration. When I do this my throughput falls to < 10Mbps when I use the AC68 OpenVPN client. When I re-enable iptraffic, throughput is back up to 27 Mbps.
  2. When I use a TCP based OpenVPN connection from the AC68 (instead of UDP), my throughput goes to 37 Mbps. I gain 10 Mbps by switching to TCP, even though UDP should be faster.
I figure there is a chance this is an anomaly on my router or my OpenVPN connection, but has anyone else seen similar behavior like this?

- Henrik

This has been extensively discussed on the forums. A 800 MHz ARM CPU will never give you crypto throughput anywhere near that of a 3 GHz PC... The numbers you are seeing are perfectly in line with the CPU of your router.

As of this version (378.55) USB disk "Health scanner" no longer displays results in the "scan results" window of my RT-AC66U.

@RMerlin - I haven't received a reply to this, so I just wanted to make sure it didn't get missed. Is this a known issue, or is it unique to me?

@RMerlin - I haven't received a reply to this, so I just wanted to make sure it didn't get missed. Is this a known issue, or is it unique to me?

I don't touch the scanner, since it's unreliable anyway due to the lack of RAM, and Asus doing a good amount of changes to it now and then.

Works properly with my small 4 GB thumbdrive here.

today my 87U is again crash :( it's suck, vpn disabled, ipv6 disabled etc.

but i noticed strange behavior.....I have disabled led by LED Button, but when router crash led is blinking ! I noticed it before, when router crash.....
At an earlier fw I do not remember these problems

This has been extensively discussed on the forums. A 800 MHz ARM CPU will never give you crypto throughput anywhere near that of a 3 GHz PC... The numbers you are seeing are perfectly in line with the CPU of your router.

Thank you Merlin. I am aware of this. My post was not about getting the same performance as a PC, but rather me noticing the issue with things slowing down when HW acceleration is on and the faster performance with TCP over UDP. Both of these seemed strange to me. I am not trying to match the performance on my PC.

I am currently on Merlin 378.52_0 for RT-AC68U. Can I just update with this new release or should I do clean install with factory reset and all? thx

Is there any way to enable password paste for the login? I am using password manager and I have 20chr generated password and typing it every time I want to login is annoying.

Is there any way to enable password paste for the login? I am using password manager and I have 20chr generated password and typing it every time I want to login is annoying.

I was upgrading while I read this and you had me worried. I'm using LastPass with the browser extension, and although paste doesn't seem to be enabled, the little LastPass star shows in the password field and can be clicked to insert the password.

i don't believe....Asus and RMerlin do everything they can to improve security, but You do everything you can to reduce.....

I thought I read the ram will be pretty high is that correct? I have the 87r. 198M is being used out of 250.

its ok for arm router. My 87u use 218mb ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!