What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56 beta 1 is now available.

UPDATE: Beta 2 is now available, please go here for the discussion thread.

Note 1: There seems to be some issues with Mediafire lately. I currently have a support ticket open with them, but so far am having little luck. If your download has a weird filename, don't be alarmed. Just double check the firmware inside the zipfile to confirm it's the right one. I'm starting to look into my options.
Update: Mediafire still working on my issue. In the meantime, I am mirroring the latest downloads on Sourceforge.

Note 2:
There is no RT-N66U build, due to missing closed source components for that model, required with 9177.

Note 3:
This has the latest QTN firmware for the RT-AC87U, which means better Apple connectivity, but pretty bad power drain for most devices. I recommend sticking to 378.55 if you use a lot of mobile device where battery life is important.

Note 4: I don't recommend running the RT-AC66U beta 1 build as numerous things are broken in it.

Highlights:

• Merged with GPL 378_9177 and 378_9135, which brings improved networkmap, guest network support and a few other changes.
  • Some of the most commonly managed pages such as the DHCP static list page will now let you edit existing entries. This is based on code that has been written originally by Asus, but they hadn't finalized/enabled it yet. I've done a few tweaks to it to make it more user-friendly. Note that this is still EXPERIMENTAL.
  • More configurable syslog logging, under Administration -> System. Especially useful to those using a remote syslog.
  • The Network Service Filter page under Firewall can now accept CIDR networks (i.e. 10.0.0.0/24)
  • Updated components: minidlna, OpenVPN, miniupnp, dropbear.
  • OpenVPN supports up to 5 client profiles now, to match Asus's stock firmware.
  • Various enhancements to the OpenVPN status page
  • A couple of bugfixes, like networkmap spawning print jobs to sleeping printers, or router crashes when using an invalid DH.

As usual, please read the complete changelog for details.

Things that need testing:

• Editable fields on DHCP, Virtual Server and Port Trigger pages. It's not the ideal implementation, but it has the benefit of requiring very little code changes. Any more advanced method would make it next to impossible to keep the pages update with future Asus changes, which is why I'm trying this method as a compromise.
  • Overall functionality, to ensure no new regression introduced with the GPL update

Please keep this discussion on topic, which is specifically the 378.56 beta 1 release. Off-topic posts will be either ignored, moved, or deleted, depending on my mood at the time I run into it. So, you've been warned.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
Known issues:

• No RT-N66U build: new Asus GPL required (cannot fix)
  • Battery drain on the RT-AC87U wifi devices: QTN issue, they are (still) fighting with it. (cannot fix)
  • Adaptive QoS Bandwidth page has an unusually large clickable area for the Apply button (old issue that came back) FIXED
  • QoS page layout shifted up on Firefox FIXED
  • Various issues with the RT-AC66U (was a bad build, FIXED)
  • VPNStatus page broken on French locale (FIXED)
  • RT-AC3200 Smart Rules: Target bands are empty/set to None after a Default settings reset (FIXED)

Last edited:
Can't get to overclock either one of my 87's using:
nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit && reboot

Is there any other way?

Thanks for 56.b1 !

Downloading the AC87 version and is very slow and then fails. Will keep trying.
Thanks for the firmwares.

youst tried changing ports under WAN - Virtual Server / Port Forwarding and it works finally one can edit those settings now been missing that for a long time.
never could figure out why asus didn't implement that earlier.

the Traffic Manager page dodsn't load properly in cyberfox/firefox

youst noticed that HW acceleration says Enabled on the Sysinfo page even tho i have IPTraffic enabled it used to say disable

41 min uptime and everything seem to work normally except it seem like it wakes my iphone every 6-10 min.
Oct 13 02:28:36 dnsmasq-dhcp[253]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.222 54:ea:a8:cc:5c:83
Oct 13 02:28:36 dnsmasq-dhcp[253]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.222 54:ea:a8:cc:5c:83 iPhone
Oct 13 02:38:31 dnsmasq-dhcp[253]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.222 54:ea:a8:cc:5c:83
Oct 13 02:38:31 dnsmasq-dhcp[253]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.222 54:ea:a8:cc:5c:83 iPhone
Oct 13 02:44:32 dnsmasq-dhcp[253]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.222 54:ea:a8:cc:5c:83
Oct 13 02:44:32 dnsmasq-dhcp[253]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.222 54:ea:a8:cc:5c:83 iPhone
Oct 13 02:44:33 dnsmasq-dhcp[253]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.222 54:ea:a8:cc:5c:83
Oct 13 02:44:33 dnsmasq-dhcp[253]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.222 54:ea:a8:cc:5c:83 iPhone
Oct 13 02:54:37 dnsmasq-dhcp[253]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.222 54:ea:a8:cc:5c:83
Oct 13 02:54:37 dnsmasq-dhcp[253]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.222 54:ea:a8:cc:5c:83 iPhone
Oct 13 03:00:07 dnsmasq-dhcp[253]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.222 54:ea:a8:cc:5c:83
Oct 13 03:00:07 dnsmasq-dhcp[253]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.222 54:ea:a8:cc:5c:83 iPhone

i see that the 88u was added in the change log does that mean it will be released soon

Attachments

• asus.jpg
    asus.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 741
Last edited:
Is hard reset or software reset from GUI to default factory settings required coming from your 55 build?

Not mandatory, but recommended for the RT-AC87U users.

i see that the 88u was added in the change log does that mean it will be released soon

Asus hasn't announced yet when it will be available. They sent me an early sample for development purposes.

Can't get to overclock either one of my 87's using:
nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit && reboot

Is there any other way?

Thanks for 56.b1 !
This issue is on the official FW for my AC68. You have to reboot first then enter the your setting and reboot.
I don't know if that exact trick will work. It took me a couple of tries to get it to stick. The GUI and "nvram get clkfreq" will show stock speeds. You have do this to check it.
cat /proc/cpuinfo
You'll have to make a note of the results and compare to see if your OC succeed. Rebooting will cause the setting to reset.

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56 beta 1 is now available.

Note 1: There seems to be some issues with Mediafire lately. I currently have a support ticket open with them, but so far am having little luck. If your download has a weird filename, don't be alarmed. Just double check the firmware inside the zipfile to confirm it's the right one. I'm starting to look into my options.
Note 2: There is no RT-N66U build, due to missing closed source components for that model, required with 9177.
Note 3: This has the latest QTN firmware for the RT-AC87U, which means better Apple connectivity, but pretty bad power drain for most devices. I recommend sticking to 378.55 if you use a lot of mobile device where battery life is important.

Highlights:

• Merged with GPL 378_9177 and 378_9135, which brings improved networkmap, guest network support and a few other changes.
  • Some of the most commonly managed pages such as the DHCP static list page will now let you edit existing entries. This is based on code that has been written originally by Asus, but they hadn't finalized/enabled it yet. I've done a few tweaks to it to make it more user-friendly. Note that this is still EXPERIMENTAL.
  • More configurable syslog logging, under Administration -> System. Especially useful to those using a remote syslog.
  • The Network Service Filter page under Firewall can now accept CIDR networks (i.e. 10.0.0.0/24)
  • Updated components: minidlna, OpenVPN, miniupnp, dropbear.
  • OpenVPN supports up to 5 client profiles now, to match Asus's stock firmware.
  • Various enhancements to the OpenVPN status page
  • A couple of bugfixes, like networkmap spawning print jobs to sleeping printers, or router crashes when using an invalid DH.

As usual, please read the complete changelog for details.

Things that need testing:

• Editable fields on DHCP, Virtual Server and Port Trigger pages. It's not the ideal implementation, but it has the benefit of requiring very little code changes. Any more advanced method would make it next to impossible to keep the pages update with future Asus changes, which is why I'm trying this method as a compromise.
  • Overall functionality, to ensure no new regression introduced with the GPL update

Please keep this discussion on topic, which is specifically the 378.56 beta 1 release. Off-topic posts will be either ignored, moved, or deleted, depending on my mood at the time I run into it. So, you've been warned.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

378.56 B1 still exist can not be used 2WAN! Specific log I have uploaded to the server, you can
download a look, thank you!
download syslog

Loaded this on tonight since DD-WRT is failing badly.

As per usual, I enable QoS. Just a cosmetic problem, but the QoS tab on my AC66U is off position compared to the Traffic Monitoring tab.

Seems more responsive though!

This issue is on the official FW for my AC68. You have to reboot first then enter the your setting and reboot.
I don't know if that exact trick will work. It took me a couple of tries to get it to stick. The GUI and "nvram get clkfreq" will show stock speeds. You have do this to check it.
You'll have to make a note of the results and compare to see if your OC succeed. Rebooting will cause the setting to reset.

I keep checking BogoMIPS and the value is right around 2,400 so that would suggest 1,200MHz OC succeeded. But when getting nvram get clkfreq and GUI it still shows 1,000MHz.
I guess it is just the glitch not showing the correct values...

Loaded this on tonight since DD-WRT is failing badly.

As per usual, I enable QoS. Just a cosmetic problem, but the QoS tab on my AC66U is off position compared to the Traffic Monitoring tab.

Seems more responsive though!
u know this build is NOT for 66u? unlees I misread post #2 ;)

378.56 beta 1 running on RT-AC68U; no settings reset. I think I found a Bug on the Wireless page, MAC Filter TAB. If you have a previously inserted device and if you try to access by clicking on the icon on the detailed info, the Web UI got stuck. Furthermore, I tried to remove the old entries form the list, but the APPLY button does not respond.

Trying to reset settings now to default value

Furthermore, but I think this was already pointed out on the official firmware threads, the QOS page is messed up with the layout

Last edited:
thank you for new beta version of firmware. i would like to know what exactly this settings mean?
Code:
The Network Service Filter page under Firewall can now accept CIDR networks (i.e. 10.0.0.0/24)
is this what I'm looking for? blocking traffic from certain IP or IP range to the router?

I've updated my AC87U using "RT-AC87U_378.56_beta1-g08ac2c5.trx", but when I login to the admin it says "Firmware:378.55". Is it supposed to say that for betas?

Edit: Nevermind, I had to unplug my USB stick with entware (and a swapfile), reboot and then do the upgrade again.

Last edited:
378.56 B1 still exist can not be used 2WAN! Specific log I have uploaded to the server, you can
download a look, thank you!
download syslog

I don't touch the Dual WAN code. It's too complex, and undocumented, so I have no idea how the implementation actually works.

thank you for new beta version of firmware. i would like to know what exactly this settings mean?
Code:
The Network Service Filter page under Firewall can now accept CIDR networks (i.e. 10.0.0.0/24)
is this what I'm looking for? blocking traffic from certain IP or IP range to the router?

It's the same firewall option that has always been there on the stock firmware, just that now you aren't limited to entering a single IP, you can enter a whole subnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!