What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin is now available for all supported models, including the RT-N66U build.

Summary of changes since 378.55:
  • Merged with Asus GPL 378_9177, which includes numerous fixes and tweaks, and improvements to the networkmap. This includes the newer Quantenna driver for the RT-AC87U, which resolves connectivity issues on the 5 GHz band, however it still causes some battery drain on that band. The only workaround is to revert to 378.55 if this is a problem for you.
  • Support was added for the (unreleased yet) RT-AC88U. Thanks to Asus for providing a development sample.
  • Enhancements to syslog handling. The default log level can now be configured (it used to be hardcoded to Emergency). This is especially useful to users who log to a remote syslog server.
  • Editable entries for the DHCP static lease, virtual servers and prot triggers pages.
  • Various component updates: miniupnpd, openvpn, dropbear and minidlna were updated to their latest versions.
  • Various issues related to networkmap were resolved, especially handling of long hostnames.
  • You can now configure up to five separate OpenVPN clients, to match Asus's stock FW.
  • Numerous other fixes, please see the complete changelog for details
Additional changes in 378.56_2:

Code:
378.56_2 (2-Nov-2015)
    - CHANGED: Reverted the memory buffering optimization
               for ARM devices, as people keep panicking
               over the lower amount of free RAM.  You can
               manually re-enable the optimization by setting
               "drop_caches=0" in nvram.
    - CHANGED: Allow using a port < 1024 for http(s) webui
               interface.
    - FIXED: EMF wasn't working on AC56/AC68/AC87.
    - FIXED: Couldn't connect to ISPs using VLANs (RT-AC87U)
    - FIXED: Editing Port Forward entry with ellipsis in
             the description or the port range would
             still edit the shortened version instead
             of the full content.
    - FIXED: Debug log from mDNSNetMonitor could gradually
             fill up RAM - disabled it.
    - FIXED: Router crash if pasting SSH key > 2047
             characters.
    - FIXED: Editing an entry on the networkmap would
             clear the hostname if entry existed in
             the DHCP static list.
    - FIXED: OpenVPN server in secret key mode
             would fail to start.
    - FIXED: Couldn't add entries to the MAC Filter list
             of Guest Networks (reverted our previous
             implementation which conflicted with
             Asus's new one).
    - FIXED: NTP failing to refresh for some cases.
             Implemented temporary workaround.
    - FIXED: Some services not properly starting at
             boot time (like Parental Control or Tor)

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
Please keep posts in this thread on things that are specific to the 378.56_2 release. Create a separate thread if you need support with a specific feature.

This thread will be locked in a week or two once the post-release feedback has calmed down.

I downloaded the new code using Chrome. It started to count up the upload progress and that count disappears. System says it is applying the data please wait. I see my wireless connection disconnect, but no usual progress bar telling me how far into the update. I will then regain connection, but it still tells me to wait. After 10 minutes, I quit. I am able to login to the router just fine and it still shows me that I have 378.56_0. I rebooted the router, but still the same thing. Anyone see this as well?

I downloaded the new code using Chrome. It started to count up the upload progress and that count disappears. System says it is applying the data please wait. I see my wireless connection disconnect, but no usual progress bar telling me how far into the update. I will then regain connection, but it still tells me to wait. After 10 minutes, I quit. I am able to login to the router just fine and it still shows me that I have 378.56_0. I rebooted the router, but still the same thing. Anyone see this as well?

Flashing over wifi can occasionally be tricky. Best to do it wired, so you can still get feedback if something goes wrong during the upgrade.

Also, the usual: reboot with no USB disk plugged in, then try again to upgrade.

Asuswrt-Merlin is now available for all supported models except for the RT-N66U (Asus hasn't released updated source code...
Damn, still not released.... Does this imply anything bad for us N66 owners as far as future firmwares from you ? I saw that they recently released (~2 weeks ago), so I guess that's somewhat of a good sign....

RMerlin said:
Reverted the memory buffering optimization
over the lower amount of free RAM. You can
Can you explain a little on this? how do i do this?

Flashing over wifi can occasionally be tricky. Best to do it wired, so you can still get feedback if something goes wrong during the upgrade.

Also, the usual: reboot with no USB disk plugged in, then try again to upgrade.
Thank you!!! It worked. I am upgraded. Ahhh I got my memory back... <Kissing Router>

378.56_2 (2-Nov-2015)
- CHANGED: Reverted the memory buffering optimization
over the lower amount of free RAM. You can

People overreact about the strangest things. Unused ram is wasted ram.

Connect via ssh, login, then enter "nvram set drop_caches=0 (enter), nvram commit", reboot.

Last edited:

After the dramas with people misunderstanding the feature, if you aren't already comfortable with the CLI and the "nvram set" and "nvram commit" commands may I politely suggest you go with merlins suggested default of leaving it off?

So should I factory reset my router again once I do this? Or can I just flash it without a factory reset since I downloaded 378.56 when it first came out.

Damn, still not released.... Does this imply anything bad for us N66 owners as far as future firmwares from you ? I saw that they recently released (~2 weeks ago), so I guess that's somewhat of a good sign....

I spoke with my Asus contact tonight. They are currently doing final testing on a new firmware for the RT-N66U, after which they will release it at the same time as a new GPL. So my guess is, might take a week or two.

Latest RT-N66U test build is 378_9313. So fear not, they're still working on that model.

So should I factory reset my router again once I do this? Or can I just flash it without a factory reset since I downloaded 378.56 when it first came out.

Doing a direct flash to 378.56_2 is fine, as long you're coming from a fairly recent firmware. 378.56 is fine. 378.55 would require a factory default reset only for the RT-AC87U, due to the new QTN SDK.

Hi, I just tried upgrading my RT-AC68U, but I get the following error: "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of the firmware and try again". I've tried the both Chrome and Firefox, downloaded the file twice from different mirrors, just to be sure. The file name is: "RT-AC68U_378.56_2.trx", so I'm sure I've got the correct file. I'm currently running 378.56_0

Hi, I just tried upgrading my RT-AC68U, but I get the following error: "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of the firmware and try again". I've tried the both Chrome and Firefox, downloaded the file twice from different mirrors, just to be sure. The file name is: "RT-AC68U_378.56_2.trx", so I'm sure I've got the correct file. I'm currently running 378.56_0

Reboot your router and try again, also remove any usb devices.

People overreact about the strangest things. Unused ram is wasted ram.

Connect via ssh, login, then enter "nvram set drop_caches=0 (enter), nvram commit", reboot.
Thx. I got a little confuse since drop_caches isn't listed in nvram show.
After the dramas with people misunderstanding the feature, if you aren't already comfortable with the CLI and the "nvram set" and "nvram commit" commands may I politely suggest you go with merlins suggested default of leaving it off?
I'm not familiar with any of those but thx to nagle3092 and Rmerlin I now have a clue how those commands are use.

We're all DIY people. You'll have to get out the comfort zone if I ever wanna learn to DIY.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!