What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Router : RT-N66U
Firmware : 378.56_2

I was hoping this latest firmware would halt the situation of abrupt shutdown of the internet connection. This is been occurring intermittently with the older firmware as well. I don't see anything abnormal in the system logs and I would have to reboot the router to re-initiate the internet connection. Thanks. Is there any script I can run to detect the error that's causing the shutdown ?

Thanks !

PPTP VPN is not working for me on 378.56_2. The router was completely reset and configured from scratch. Is anyone else having this problem?
Hi!
On my router PPtP / OpenVPn server works fine.

Sorry am new to this and English isn't my language

I have two Asus RT-3200 and running Merlin 378 56 2 and my problem is that it lose settings. When reboot its sometime lose it ip.adress and dns settings so need enter them manual after almost every reboot. Also when enter the settings for port forward they are lost after reboot and sometimes not even stored when click apply/save. And it's similar on both routers. So wonder if i done something wrong in installation

Do a factory default reset, and manually reconfigure your router in case you might have some nvram corruption.

I got slow speed problem after I upgraded to 378.56_2. My router is an RT-AC68U. I called ISP to reset my modem but nothing helped at all. Finally I had to downgrade the firmware to 378.52_2. Then I got full speed again. Really weird.

Just registered to say thanks! I had no issues upgrading my AC66U from ASUS 376 to Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2! I used the NVRAM tool provided by John9527 and that relieved the pain of wiping. So far everything seems to be working great, although I haven't tested all features yet. All documentation, change logs, and OP instructions were flawless! Thanks to all involved!

- CHANGED: Reverted the memory buffering optimization for ARM devices, as people keep panicking over the lower amount of free RAM.

I am still running Merlin 378.56 beta 2. Yesterday I had an error when reconnecting my USB drive to the AC87-U:

Checking cluster allocation ...
ERROR(12): Failed to setup allocation bitmap: Cannot allocate memory

As far as I know this error is caused by not enough Ram. After trying few things the only fix that worked was to reboot the router and by this allow more Ram to be available.
So now I am wondering if the change to memory buffering optimization in the current 378.56_2 was actually a necessity and not only because people were panicking? :)

I have downloaded"RT-AC68U_378.56_2.trx" from all 3 of the listed download sites and the shasum
does not match the sum listed on the main download site "c2f24b32178e85b92fc01d78f913e3089d3a15fa764834b5af29f55e8dae3827 "
When I run the
Code:
shasum
command from terminal on my Mac I am getting
Code:
$ shasum RT-AC56U_378.56_2.trx
a434bd0842969f449890e8e710c135bad287a920
Am I doing this correctly? Is anyone else checking code on their downloads ? This looks messed up any time the work bad is in the shasum ...
Thanks

I have downloaded"RT-AC68U_378.56_2.trx" from all 3 of the listed download sites and the shasum
does not match the sum listed on the main download site "c2f24b32178e85b92fc01d78f913e3089d3a15fa764834b5af29f55e8dae3827 "
When I run the
Code:
shasum
command from terminal on my Mac I am getting
Code:
$ shasum RT-AC56U_378.56_2.trx
a434bd0842969f449890e8e710c135bad287a920
Am I doing this correctly? Is anyone else checking code on their downloads ? This looks messed up any time the work bad is in the shasum ...
Thanks

I use SHA256, not SHA1.

I found a minor bug; if you navigate to Wireless from the sidebar menu and try to change the 2.4 Ghz then change the network settings for the 5 Ghz setting after saving they both will revert to previous settings. In fact when I just changed the 5 GHz settings and saved it would revert both to the previous settings. I changed the SSID and the password on both to test.
But if I edit the settings from the Network Map link (top of sidebar menu), using tabs under the System Status box it saves just fine.

ASUS RT-AC68U, merlin 56_2.

Problem - every change I make assigning fixed (MAC-binding) IP addresses causes the router drops Connection to all wifi clients. I don't remember the router behaving like that on earlier versions.? And sometimes the wifi goes down and the router must be manually rebooted.

The process of re-configuring the router is very troublesome whit this behavior. Is it a (known) bug?

Can someone explain, why there is huge difference in "ip link" between RT-N66U and RT-AC86U running same merlin 56_2.

Output from RT-N66U:
Code:
Usage: ip link set DEVICE { up | down |
                             arp { on | off } |
                             dynamic { on | off } |
                             multicast { on | off } |
                             allmulticast { on | off } |
                             promisc { on | off } |
                             trailers { on | off } |
                             txqueuelen PACKETS |
                             name NEWNAME |
                             address LLADDR | broadcast LLADDR |
                             mtu MTU }
       ip link show [ DEVICE ]

Output from RT-AC68U:
Code:
Usage: ip link add [link DEV] [ name ] NAME
                   [ txqueuelen PACKETS ]
                   [ address LLADDR ]
                   [ broadcast LLADDR ]
                   [ mtu MTU ]
                   type TYPE [ ARGS ]
       ip link delete DEV type TYPE [ ARGS ]

ip link set { dev DEVICE | group DEVGROUP } [ { up | down } ]
                          [ arp { on | off } ]
                          [ dynamic { on | off } ]
                          [ multicast { on | off } ]
                          [ allmulticast { on | off } ]
                          [ promisc { on | off } ]
                          [ trailers { on | off } ]
                          [ txqueuelen PACKETS ]
                          [ name NEWNAME ]
                          [ address LLADDR ]
                          [ broadcast LLADDR ]
                          [ mtu MTU ]
                          [ netns PID ]
                          [ alias NAME ]
                          [ vf NUM [ mac LLADDR ]
                                   [ vlan VLANID [ qos VLAN-QOS ] ]
                                   [ rate TXRATE ] ]
                          [ master DEVICE ]
                          [ nomaster ]
       ip link show [ DEVICE | group GROUP ]

I know that one is MIPSR2 and another is ARM, but still this means that script which works fine on RT-AC68U does not work at all on RT-N66U, etc...

I think better is to use vconfig in scripts, but interesting still...

Last edited:
Can someone explain, why there is huge difference in "ip link" between RT-N66U and RT-AC86U running same merlin 56_2.

MIPS and ARM use different versions of iptables and iproute. I assume Asus did that due to the kernel difference.

Seriously, The port 9091 opened in firewall of JFFS for transmission closed after couple of hours. I'm running 378.56_2 on AC68P. Local connection is OK but connect from outside cannot. Running again the /jffs/scripts/firewall-start then make connection possible outside. What do I have to do?

Seriously, The port 9091 opened in firewall of JFFS for transmission closed after couple of hours. I'm running 378.56_2 on AC68P. Local connection is OK but connect from outside cannot. Running again the /jffs/scripts/firewall-start then make connection possible outside. What do I have to do?

Try moving it to nat-start.

Solved

Thanks RMerlin, that got me looking for a new command its
Code:
shasum -a 256
for anyone else that needs it. B)
Now to get it installed.
Cheers!

Try this application (HashCalc 2.0.2):

http://www.slavasoft.com/download.htm

Has worked well for me for a long time now. Using it on Windows 10 (threshold 2), no problems.

Try moving it to nat-start.
How to do it? Please help me, I'm noob.
I tried to seek nat-start but there was no that folder or file in it.
asus_cap.JPG

Hi -
Just upgraded stock firmware to RT-AC68U_378.56_beta2. I have removed all devices USB and ethernet, rebooted and flashed, factory defaults a couple of times and rebooted, Formatted JFFS partition, factory defaults again and manually configured the router (not using saved config file). (followed this guide: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

The problem I am seeing is, I have NO configured static addresses - ie: MAC table (128 capacity) is empty but the Client List keeps showing what may be stale data, and has Static assigned to about 9 devices on ethernet jack (and currently showing only mac address as Clients Name). I have no idea how to wipe these out (probably previously configured by me in another firmware.) Furthermore, I believe some of these clients are not even my clients or never were but still somehow show up and show up as Static too. It's like its pulling this data from the router or something.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

How to do it? Please help me, I'm noob.
I tried to seek nat-start but there was no that folder or file in it.
asus_cap.JPG
The same way you did for the firewall-start script, but name it nat-start instead.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Hi -
Just upgraded stock firmware to RT-AC68U_378.56_beta2. I have removed all devices USB and ethernet, rebooted and flashed, factory defaults a couple of times and rebooted, Formatted JFFS partition, factory defaults again and manually configured the router (not using saved config file). (followed this guide: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

The problem I am seeing is, I have NO configured static addresses - ie: MAC table (128 capacity) is empty but the Client List keeps showing what may be stale data, and has Static assigned to about 9 devices on ethernet jack (and currently showing only mac address as Clients Name). I have no idea how to wipe these out (probably previously configured by me in another firmware.) Furthermore, I believe some of these clients are not even my clients or never were but still somehow show up and show up as Static too. It's like its pulling this data from the router or something.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ok - I figured out what the other devices are they are my security cameras on DHCP but don't have a proper hostname and previously I configured them as Static but they are getting carried over somehow. Anyone know how to reset the Static Client List / Mac tables or put them in sync?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!