What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please would you post your script with some basic instructions as that would be fantastic for a noob like me.

PS: I have come over from FreshTomato on a RT-N18U to a RT-AX88U currently on stock. Once Merlin 386 is out of beta, I am going to flash.

I'll try to provide all the steps the best i can, it was a collection from several posts i read over time... Please I ask the seniors here to comment and suggest better ways to implement it...

(i'm assuming you can ssh to your "merlin" device )

If you are running on a node like me, you need to make sure it will run scripts upon start-up so you need first to do this

Bash:
nvram set jffs2_exec=/jffs/scripts/services-start
nvram set jffs2_scripts=1
nvram commit

then create the file by doing
Bash:
vi /jffs/scripts/services-start

Bash:
#!/bin/sh
cru a temp "*/10 * * * * /jffs/scripts/<filename>.sh >/dev/null 2>&1"

don't forget to
Bash:
chmod +x /jffs/scripts/<filename>.sh

My script for RT-AC68u is this
Bash:
vi /jffs/scripts/<filename>.sh
Bash:
#!/bin/sh 
Temp_CPU=$(cat /proc/dmu/temperature | grep -o '[0-9]\+' )
Temp_24g=$(wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense | tr -d -c 0-9 | awk '{print subst r($1,1,2)}')
Temp_5g=$(wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense | tr -d -c 0-9 | awk '{print subst r($1,1,2)}')
logger -t "custom_script" "Temperatures CPU $Temp_CPU - 5g $Temp_5g - 2.4g $Temp_24g"

My script for RT-AC86u is this { the way to get temperature is different) :

Bash:
#!/bin/sh 

Temp_CPU=$(cat /proc/dmu/temperature | grep -o '[0-9]\+' ) 
Temp_24g=$(wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense | tr -d -c 0-9 | awk '{print subst r($1,1,2)}' )
Temp_5g=$(wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense | tr -d -c 0-9 | awk '{print subst r($1,1,2)}' ) 
logger -t "custom_script" "Temperatures CPU $Temp_CPU - 5g $Temp_5g - 2.4g $Temp_24g"

I also do another wgets to post the results for my home automation, but it's not the case here...

[EDIT] Sorry, but for some reason the command "s u b s t r" always presented one error here to post, so i put one space on the code above, please remove it when you implement in your router.

Last edited:
Merlin, some feedback for BETA4 on AX86U:

Thanks for the BETA4; I applied to my two new AX86U routers - connected by same cable TV ISP in a town 3.5 miles from each other, and the traffic analysis and QOS now looks correct. The H264 streaming between both was smooth, and the QOS dials were correct in the (expected) transfer rate and each device was shown populating the graphical bar. In the QOS classification, I could see the class categories varying in traffic flow too.

3.5 miles from each other? Via OpenVPN, or? :)

Hi @RMerlin

I have one Asus AX86U, and it doesn't work with WAN Aggregation 386.1 beta firmware. :( I tested the official latest stable firmware and good with it!

On AX-86U with test build Beta and before that Beta3. I'm seeing high memory use for both Beta firmwares: after rebooting eight hours ago, the memory usage has moved up from ~65% to 97%
Used 997 MB
Free 27 MB
Total 1024 MB
I haven't used Asus stock firmware, so don't know if stock is more stable for memory usage.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a new asus RT-AX56U, Merlin 386.1 beta 3.
I don't see the NAT acceleration value, see printscreen 2021-01-05_09h46_13.png.
Should it be so? Thank you

Did you reset with WPS and pull reset button after to get in AiMesh mode on node?
What do you mean by "reset with WPS" ? All I did was factory reset the AC68u (Aimesh node), then try to locate it with the AX88 (aimesh router).
I tried both with and without the LAN cable from LAN of AX88 to WAN of AC68u connected. Still no go. Not sure if I am doing something stupid somewhere.

Are you wiping the JFFS Partition on the nodes? Put a check in the box and scroll all the way down and hit APPLY. --> then reboot.
No I didn't do that.. hrmm.. maybe I should do that.. I only did a factory reset but didn't touch the JFFS. Thought a factory reset would have cleared it. Good idea. Shall try this evening.

A simple suggestion - wait maybe 10 minutes after the factory reset of the AC68U. I have found it takes a while to be stable before I can add mine. If I try too quickly I don't find it, or when I try to add it the first attempt fails.

That's something I haven't tried. This is simple enough. Did you press/configure anything on the AC68u after factory reset?

Thanks.

No I didn't do that.. hrmm.. maybe I should do that.. I only did a factory reset but didn't touch the JFFS. Thought a factory reset would have cleared it. Good idea. Shall try this evening.
The AC68u (aimesh node) is running latest Asus firmware for AC68u. It doesn't have JFFS? Should I reflash merlin, nuke off the JFFS then reflash Asus stock AC68u firmware to get it all cleaned up?

@mobileman88, you may want to try this to connect your RT-AC68U in AiMesh mode (assuming all your routers are RMerlin 386.1 Beta 3).

• Reset the RT-AC68U you want to use as a node via the WPS reset method for your model.
  • Make sure it is in the same room as your main AiMesh router. If it isn't, unplug it, move it, and power it up when it is.
  • Do not touch it after you have turned it on. Let it sit there 'waiting' for you.
  • Go to your main AiMesh capable router and from either the AiMesh 'Tab' on the left-hand side or from the AiMesh Node button near the middle of the main page, Search to add your AiMesh Node.
  • If trying to add it wirelessly when in the same room doesn't work, reset it via the appropriate WPS method once more.
  • This time, plug a LAN port from your main router (do not go through a switch) to the WAN port of the AiMesh Node you want to add.
  • Search and add it. This should work.
  • Wait for at least 15 minutes after the node is added and has fully rebooted before you turn it off and move it to where you want it to be.
And don't let this come back to 'bite' you if you're re-doing your wired nodes! Thanks, @nzwayne!

Wow.. this is definitely most helpful for me. I will try it when I get back after work again. Thanks mate

What do you mean by "reset with WPS" ? All I did was factory reset the AC68u (Aimesh node), then try to locate it with the AX88 (aimesh router).
I tried both with and without the LAN cable from LAN of AX88 to WAN of AC68u connected. Still no go. Not sure if I am doing something stupid somewhere.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039077/

The AC68u (aimesh node) is running latest Asus firmware for AC68u. It doesn't have JFFS? Should I reflash merlin, nuke off the JFFS then reflash Asus stock AC68u firmware to get it all cleaned up?

JFFS is ON or OFF via a checkbox and APPLY (SAVE) (different page than reset page)
Don't know what you mean by nuke off. It's always there just on or off and sometimes it needs to be cleared due to firmware rearrangement.

You should clear JFFS by checking the box right below the Factory Reset check box and make sure you hit APPLY at the bottom of page or it does not take hold.

Factory Reset is different from WPS Reset. Be sure you are clear on the difference.

I like to report a minor error.
The sign for a hard wired connection doesn’t work. It always show wireless connection.

Attachments

• 4F006A37-8B57-4554-958B-1CE4DD7E9BB8.jpeg
    4F006A37-8B57-4554-958B-1CE4DD7E9BB8.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 226
Did you press/configure anything on the AC68u after factory reset?

No, just perform a factory reset and allow it to reboot and stabilise for some minutes. Newer models need less time, but my RT-AC68U needed noticeably longer. Then go to your main router and try to add it in the AiMesh menus.

Don't do any configuration on the RT-AC68U.

I uploaded a very rough test build of the RT-AX86U on which I only copied the newer Trend Micro engine, there has been no other change.

I only did a quick speedtest to ensure the new engine was working, I didn't do any further test. I am still waiting to get newer GPL drops to merge the whole thing.

Thanks for that - tested ... confirmed Adaptive QoS [Trend Engine] working much as it does in Asus 386 stock firmware ... but several other aspects [notably LE and Log spamming] not as steady and stable as 386 stock - so have returned there until you have had time to do more than a quick and rough job ;-).

I must say the 386 stock fw for this router is rock steady and the best stock firmware I can recall using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!