What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin questions and possible feature

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pokey

New Around Here
I've been using my new AC66U with Asuswrt-Merlin and have been very happy with it's performance over my old and tired Linksys G router.

I wanted to double check that when one of the radios is disabled does that keep that radio's chip in a sleep state or low power state? I don't have any 5GHz devices so to keep the AC66U cool i disabled the 5GHz radio. The tools page doesn't show the 5GHz radio temperature so I figured it is in a sleep or low power state. My AC66U is sitting on a 15" laptop cooler that has dropped the 2.4GHz radio temperature to 43C where as without it it would run ~54C. And the ambient in the house is 20C. I'm hoping this setup keeps the router cool and helps it last longer than the dlinks and linksys routers i've used in the past.

And would it be possible for the router firmware to pickup USB HDD temperatures ie through SMART to display the drive temperature on the tools page or USB application page?

And would it be possible for the router firmware to pickup USB HDD temperatures ie through SMART to display the drive temperature on the tools page or USB application page?

SMART isn't generally available for USB devices, except for a few that hack it in their controler.

Thanks RMerlin,

I figured I'd ask just in case. At least I know the router is running cool.

SMART isn't generally available for USB devices, except for a few that hack it in their controler.

Well, I have a few external drives that I can view smart values from. Do you think it would be possible to add "smartctl" command in the future?
Thanks RMerlin.

Yes, you're right! :)
In case anyone wants more insight about how to do it, open telnet and type:
Code:
opkg update
opkg install smartmontools
Now you have installed smartctl. To use it type:
Code:
smartctl -a /dev/sda

If it tells you something about smart not being available, try:
Code:
smartctl -d ata /dev/sda
and then "smartctl -a /dev/sda" should work.