What's new

ASUSwrt: Persistence of VLAN settings / Role of eapd

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A.D.

Regular Contributor
Running ASUSwrt-Merlin 380.70 (but in this regard, there should be no difference to ASUSwrt).

Many people share their VLAN scripts here, and while I have my own, I still don't understand its mechanisms when it comes to NVRAM and eapd.

Whenever I launch "killall eapd" on my device which is configured as an access point, it tells me that there were no instances. Still, the "d" at the end of eapd's name seems to suggest it's a daemon. So is it not runnig on APs, or is something wrong with my device? And if yes, why is it still running?

Another thing is that not all settings which these scripts provide are mirrored in the NVRAM, e.g. when a static IP address is provided for a bridge. That's why most folks seem to run the same script at startup, where it again sets everything on command line and most stuff also in NVRAM. While at least for most NVRAM settings it holds true that they are not modified by the standard system during a power cycle. So effectively, this just seems to wear the NVRAM (although I'm happy to say that there aren't really many).

So it seems to me that setting the NVRAM is useless, unless this eapd really does some magic (and in my case, terminates afterwards?).

Could somebody point me to a piece of documentation, provide some background or show me where I made mistakes?