What's new

AsusWRT VPN bridge lan between two routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mikeb

New Around Here
Already asked this in the Asus section, but then I found this one and thought it might be more appropriate here - I'm looking for some help setting up a VPN to bridge two lans over wan (internet).

I have two Asus DSL-N14U modem/routers running standard firmware (latest, v1.0.9.9) at two different locations. I need to bridge these two lans together so that devices on each side can see each other, specifically TCP port 9100 data for network printing. Here is where I've got to so far (and I could be completely wrong with how I'm going about it):

Router A has lan IP subnet of 192.168.1.0, router B (printer end) has lan subnet of 192.168.2.0. I setup router A as the VPN server, and router B as the VPN client. The VPN server has a setting for client IP addresses, default is 192.168.10.0. Router B connects to the VPN as a client successfully, and it gets an IP address of 192.168.10.1, which is pingable and web interface viewable from the router A's subnet.

But should I be using a third subnet (192.168.10.0) for the VPN addresses or should it be one of the existing subnets? Is there something else I need to configure (static routes perhaps) to tell the router A's subnet to pass traffic to router B's subnet via the VPN?