What's new

Attic Server PC to NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MrGundam

Occasional Visitor
After a little advice if anyone has experience of a similar situation.

I currently have an old PC running in my attic that I use for torrents, CCTV when I am away, and mainly a Plex Media server to the TV in the lounge with an Nvidia Shield Pro. The server is running Win 10 on a i5-760 with 6 TB HDD and 4GB RAM.

I am trying to be a bit more energy conscious as it runs 24/7 and as it is Win OS often has issues with updates meaning the Plex server is down unless I remotely log in etc. So I am looking at what migrating to a NAS like Synology would be like.

I also have a ASUS AC88U router that could have storage attached.

I could do away with the CCTV as I may go with a separate IPTV recorder in the future and transfer torrents from my main PC to the server instead, but then it seems a lot of money to have a NAS which essentially just a local network drive.

Any recommendations?

Pretty much any basic Synology or qnap Nas will suit your purpose. I'd suggest at least a 2-bay unit (or more) for either redundancy or future expansion.

Not sure about Synology but I know my qnap unit come with a license for a video surveillance application that can be installed. Only played with it once so can't provide much detail, but it seemed ok.

I also run transmission (torrent downloader) on my qnap although other apps are also available and I'm sure Synology also has apps for this.

Ditto for Plex (although I don't run it myself). So basically, most SOHO Nas boxes should easily handle you current needs, it just comes down to how much you want to spend. More money = better performance (typically).