What's new

Authentication in an Wired Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gragnous

Occasional Visitor
Can you point me in the right direction to learn about how to authenticate clients in a wired network, similar to a key in a WiFi network?

I'm hoping there is a simple way to keep an unapproved device from being plugged into and gaining access to the data on a wired network. We're currently using a off the shelf router flashed with DD-WRT, but I've been experimenting with and will likely switch to PFsense.

There are a few ways to do this based on what your needs really are;
If you are just looking to block access to the internet . . . a captive portal authenticating to either a simple passcode or database will work.
If you are looking to completely block access to the LAN . . . 802.1x authenticated off of a RADIUS server is considered industry standard.

If you are looking to completely block access to the LAN . . . 802.1x authenticated off of a RADIUS server is considered industry standard.

He's proposing the wire, so RADIUS is the answer with a managed switch perhaps..