What's new

AV2 Homeplug - Aztech HL119EP - QoS setting does help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

seemebreakthis

New Around Here
First post here. Wanted to share my experience with a pair of newly bought Aztech HL119EP homeplug.

I am using it as part of a setup for watching IPTV (namely the NOW TV paid service in Hong Kong) to link the ADSL modem to the set top box. I needed to get quicker homeplug because some of the high definition channels would stutter when I tried using my previous 200Mbps homeplug to do the job.

The HL119EP would perform normally for a day or so and then the connection starts to break down. When this happens all I could do was to unplug both devices and plug them in again, then rock solid connection until it breaks down again... and I was getting into a habit of unplugging / plugging everyday before I leave my house. A big nuisance to say the least.

What's worse sometimes the connection doesn't even last for a day.

I almost ended up selling what I thought was a piece of junk until I experimented with the homeplug utility that comes with the unit to change the QoS to 'Voice over IP' for both of the devices. Ever since then (don't ask me why this setting would make a difference) the two homeplugs have stayed connected and I didn't need to intervene anymore.

4 days already. Fingers crossed no more problem.

Cheers, hope this post will be helpful to someone out there.

Stumbling across this (thanks Susan for bumping this up), it makes me want to re-examine some recent AV2 Fails I went thru. Hmmm...

We had homeplug / powerline interference problems which were caused by leaving our cellphone charging cables plugged into the wall in the same room with one of the homeplug devices. The charging cables generate interference which degrades the homeplug signal .... so UNPLUG them when not in use !!

Ok I am finally posting an update on this after months of trying to cope with these Aztech homeplugs.

The QoS settings didn't really help (or I wouldn't be posting again in this thread)... well it might have helped a little as sometimes the connection could last for a week for so before severing and requiring manual intervention. But I eventually convinced myself - well this is how it is, you just have to live with that.

... until I recently found out a friend also uses homeplugs for his IPTV extension and the connection stays rock solid all the time.

So I went out and bought the same type of homeplugs he is using (namely TP-Link AV1200 TL-PA8010P) and voila! I quickly realized what I had was a piece of junk. Homeplugs can really 'just work'. Everything else in the environment is the same - location, electrical devices next to these homeplugs, etc etc. So the only conclusion I can draw is --- stay away from Aztech HL119EP.

To add to this story I actually bought another pair of Aztechs for my mom's webcam connection with the router in her house several months back. Same problem there (severed connection every other day). I have actually taught my mom on how to look at the status lights and reset the device once in a while. Will definitely switch to another brand very soon.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!