What's new

av200 tops out at 33 mbps - would av500/600/1200 help?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drdr

New Around Here
I'm in a 75 year old house and my Lea 200+ is topping out at about 33 mbps. Would getting a faster powerline adapter set help? I was going to try a $70 av1200, but hear av1200s have more noise sensitivity than 500s. Any recommendations, besides buying and returning different ones? Thanks

Thanks

Actually, I've found the newer AV2 SISO and MIMO adapters better at dealing with noise than previous generations.

Also be sure you try to remove / relocate / filter noise generators like cellphone and USB chargers.

From the review testing here for the TP-LINK TL-PA8030P AV1200 (AV2-MIMO), giving over 200Mbps at location C, I've been thinking about using a wireless router as an wireless AP, connected to my main router that has its wireless disabled. This would allow me to locate my wireless AP much more centrally in my house, which would be a real advantage over my current configuration. The central location is about a room over, on the same floor, from my main router, so it should be comparable to location C in the review here.

All I have now as ethernet cabling substitute is early MoCA, which seems to support up to about 85Mbps, and while that's fine for media streaming at my entertainment center, it just isn't enough to support our current ISP full download speed of 150Mbps+. I was hoping to see some second generation MoCA adapters that would run more like 200-400Mbps, but they never materialized, darn it. They'd be perfect for what I want to do, but...

So I'll either get the new TP-LINK powerline network adapters mentioned above to play with, or wait a while longer and see what happens with powerline networking speeds in the coming months.

So my take on the OP's original question is to try the AV1200 products after reading the reviews at this site.

Update: Now I'm seeing some MoCA 2.0 adapters, have to take a look at those:

Actiontec MoCA 2.0 ECB6000

I see that there's a long thread on these here, will be reading through that to see what's going on with these new adapters. This makes me feel a little better *smile*.

Last edited:
Also, if you can float the extra cash, order two sets on Amazon Prime (free returns), one based on a Qualcomm-Atheros (QCA) chipset and the other on Broadcom. For example, the TP-Link TL-PA8030P (based on QCA) and the Extollo LanSocket 1500 (Broadcom).

I've found in many situations, one or the other will suit itself much better to the wiring schema and type/amount of electrical interference of your particular building/home, resulting in a potentially major difference in connection reliability and speed. It may show up immediately, or take a few days of testing to bear out. After a week or two, keep the winner and return the loser.

Yeah, overkill for some, but depending on how crucial your use-case is, it could be a worthwhile exercise.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!