What's new

AX11000 Pro power connector

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mtavares

New Around Here
Hi,

I have been using the AX11000 Pro and I am very happy with it. It replaced an AC86U as primary router with another AC86U as a node.

I would much appreciate to know, the connector used in the DC power input. I could not find this information. I am planning to replace the power supply by a linear power supply.

Thanks. QJA

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @mtavares.

What's a linear power supply?

Can you not measure what you currently have? A simple volt meter will also tell you the polarity too.

What's a linear power supply?

More to the point, what on earth makes you think this is worth doing? This is not high-end audiophile analog gear, nor does it operate within even several orders of magnitude of AC power frequency. I see no reason to think that getting rid of a switching power supply's more-or-less-line-frequency noise will accomplish anything at all. On the other hand, you definitely run a nonzero risk of frying the equipment.

Linear power supply; cleaner power signal>improved signal quality>reduced interference>reduced chances of power fluctuations>more stable network connection.
I use a LPS in both my Asus routers.
For the AX11000 pro use a 100W-19V-5A with a 5,5mm-2,5 mm barrel plugg.
For absolute superior performence, use a LPS with supercaps.

@L&LD and @tgl

Thanks by your reception and comments. I have been using a linear power supply in my previous AC86U router and I obtained the results described by @gpv379 . I am experiencing some improvements on my audio/video streaming system.
Linear power supply; cleaner power signal>improved signal quality>reduced interference>reduced chances of power fluctuations>more stable network connection.
I use a LPS in both my Asus routers.
For absolute superior performence, use a LPS with supercaps.
@gpv379
Thanks by your consideration and points that are exactly my experience with linear power supply on Asus router.

I consider that a Linear power supply similar to this one is adequate.

However the connector on the AX11000 Pro is not compatible with a 5,5mm-2,5mm plug. It is bigger than that.

I would like to remark that I consider that this forum is not related to audio/video discussion and my purpose is just to obtain a information related to hardware aspects.

Thanks. QJA

Do you have this router on hand? Can't you go to a hardware/electrical shop and get them to measure this for you?

Thanks by your reception and comments. I have been using a linear power supply in my previous AC86U router and I obtained the results described by @gpv379 . I am experiencing some improvements on my audio/video streaming system.
Can you quantify those improvements? This sounds to me like the same sort of urge that leads some people to claim that they can hear the difference between gold-plated audio connectors and not-so-gold-plated connectors. Sorry, I don't buy it. If there's tarnish on your non-gold connectors, yeah that could be a problem, but that can be fixed for a lot less than the cost of gold plating.

True story: just today I was having an electrician run some Cat6a connections in my new condo, and he was telling me about some other client of his who wanted Cat8 cable run for ... wait for it ... some audio connections. I said, "hey, if he wants to spend the money, why quibble?" But let's get real: that person wants to light money on fire for no return. If he thinks he can hear a difference, he's fooling nobody but himself. (TBH, I probably overspent by insisting on Cat6a for a 40-foot ethernet run. But I've had some quantifiable --- as in nonzero ping drop rates at 10Gbps --- problems with a similar-length run of Cat6 in my current home, so I went for it.)

I would much appreciate to know, the connector used in the DC power input. I could not find this information. I am planning to replace the power supply by a linear power supply.

it's not that big of a deal... I think there is some confirmation bias here in the thread, just saying...

Linear is a bit quieter across the RF bands that a switcher, but that can be accounted for... the OEM accounts for that in their design on the DC rails... we can move things there where they don't interfere...

That being said, the linear power supply will be less efficient compared to a switcher at the same output level, and the linear PSU is going to cost a bit more - so over 100K or more, that means something...

While I've been more focused on SW over the past 20 years, my classwork was EE, with a focus on RF in the analog domain...

@gpv379

You were right in your previous message. The AX11000 Pro uses a 5,5mmx2,5mm plug.

I used previously one connector that was very tight in tolerance. After test other options, I verified that I had a problem in one connector.

I apologize by any inconvenience caused by my message.

Thanks by the responses. QJA

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!