What's new

AX86U - DFS Channels cleared in wireless log - but can not select in Wireless settings - Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am wondering how in the streams column you have 4 (ax), when the AX58U is 5ghz 2X2? another odd thing... I would have expected 2 (ax)
See the thread here regarding the different number of transmit and receive streams. I'm guessing the wireless log doesn't show split streams.
Tim: Are four streams being used for receive and 2 streams for transmit for 5 GHz?
ASUS: Yes. For RT-AX58U and RT-AX3000, the 5GHz band become 2T4R due to software control .
If @archiel could saturate the downlink to the AX58U I'd expect to Tx rate to increase.

See the thread here regarding the different number of transmit and receive streams. I'm guessing the wireless log doesn't show split streams.

If @archiel could saturate the downlink to the AX58U I'd expect to Tx rate to increase.
Could you explain 'saturate the downlink' and whether increasing the Tx is good or bad; it ranges from 1729 to 2041 on the router link.

Could you explain 'saturate the downlink' and whether increasing the Tx is good or bad; it ranges from 1729 to 2041 on the router link.
I just meant trying to send a large amount of data as fast a possible from the AX88U to the AX58U in an attempt to push the link rate above 2041 (which would be a good thing). This is not always that easy given that you'd probably need to have multiple Ethernet connected clients all sending data and multiple receiving clients able to sink that data fast enough. On the other hand it wouldn't be that surprising if despite what Asus says the AX58U doesn't actually utilise all four receive streams.

Last edited:
@ archiel :
Here you go: https://www.semfionetworks.com/blog/mcs-table-updated-with-80211ax-data-rates

You may enjoy this article too: https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

I am mad at Asus for not flagging that this very expensive router, AX86U can't use those channels... I live in Bebek, and channels 36 to 60 are totally congested with my 2 AX86U (4x4) 160Mhz (36-60) in mesh I get less than 500 Mbps link 10 m away thin wall! If I switch to 80Mhz (100-112) I get 1300Mpbs! so if I could switch to 160Mhz (100-128), I would get a PHY of 2600 ...

Last edited:

His PHY rate shows he is still on 2 streams ... different coding... not 4!

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 8.46.04 AM.png

This is just totally nuts. I just received my second AX86U and this one is able to select the channels 120 124 128 ....

IMG_1950.jpg

If I use this one as primary mesh router will the other one as node will it be able to connect on the 160Mhz band? or will it not?

Any one has an idea? before I reset everything ... so many hours of setup ...

might be interesting to compare the following nvram vars....
nvram get boardtype
nvram get boardrev
nvram get PA

This is just totally nuts. I just received my second AX86U and this one is able to select the channels 120 124 128 ....
Maybe this one is a later hardware revision. What H/W version does each have printed on their labels?

might be interesting to compare the following nvram vars....
nvram get boardtype
nvram get boardrev
nvram get PA
I'd also be interested in the output of:
Code:
nvram show | grep wl._country
nvram get territory_code

His PHY rate shows he is still on 2 streams ... different coding... not 4!

View attachment 33125
Thank you and @ColinTaylor for the reading matter, this will take a little while to absorb. It may be worth mentioning that my readings were taken with ODFM disabled, so the items marked above are probably not relevant. On the grounds that enabling ODFM might be useful (at least for the Router-Node link) I have set
OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO = DL/UL OFDMA + MU-MIMO (any thoughts on whether I should change this are welcome) and while the node was resetting the Tx briefly span up to over 4k).

Running a video file from my media server (ethernet wired to the router via an unmanaged switch) to my wife's iPad connected to the Node, the Rx/Tx was peaking at 1297/2722, steady at 1361/2450. I will try running a couple of video streams later to see if I get any faster results.

@john9527 and @ColinTaylor

So here are the details

The router that has the 120 124 and 128
Production year: 2021
HW 1.0
160 OK.png

The router that does not:
Production year: 2020
HW 1.0
No 160.png

And I made the test as a node... It will only connect on 80Mhz ...

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 8.17.09 PM.png

Verdict: The only difference is UK vs EU for territory code ...

Can I change that? Or should I call asus for a replacement?

Thank you for your kind help.

Last edited:
Do you think flashing an older firmware might help? or should I contact Asus? They are so difficult to get on the phone...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!