What's new

AX86U - what to use as mesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shorshi

New Around Here
Hey guys,

i am planning to do a big network upgrade and buy the new AX86U wifi6 router.
i will need one mesh node to cover my appartment, what do you suggest to buy as a node to make the best use of the AX86U's capabilities? Another AX86U? something different?
the mesh node will actually experience more LAN-traffic (NAS, 2PCs) (than the router itself (nvidia shield, TV, phones) but i have to do it this way since my cablebox is on the outer side of my appartment :(

As we speak i have an AC86U as main router and an AC88U as the mesh node and im definitely happy, but theres always room to improve :)

thanks!
/shorshi

Don't do AiMesh, it doesn't work. Try to position one router high up in a central location. RT-AX86U is good for that... :)

i would like to avoid it but i cant. i have multiple devices that can only be hardwired on both sides of my appartment....
also as i said before, im quite happy with my wifi5 aimesh right now that im running between my AC86U and AC88U... basically just looking to upgade to wifi6 with the new AX86U and would like to know what goes best with it

I would go with AX86U it has great range, i think a bit better than the ax88u. I have one of each and stability has improved since making the 86U main and the 88u as node. Also have an AC68 as node and I plan to replace it with AX86U in the near future.

im not sure if you understood correctly. i am getting an AX86U as my main router 100%.
now i need to decide which model i want to use as my mesh-node, since i need one. i am asking which is best for that... i could also just get 2nd AX86U if you think its best to use two of them. im just looking which model is best to use as a mesh-node in combination with the AX86U i will be getting.

//EDIT: oh wait maybe you actually understood me correctly haha :D you saying i should just get 2x AX86U ?

I understood, I just was not clear I would rather have another 86U instead of the 88u. But as I purchased the 88 first I'm kind of stuck with it and that's ok.
In hind sight I would be happy to have all 3 (main and 2 nodes) be AX86U units.

yeah thats what i figured after reading your post a few more times haha. thanks for the input :)
it doesnt maky any sense to combine AX86U and my old AC86U since i would lose wifi6 benefits on the node-devices, right?

Correct that's why I want to replace the AC68 node in my setup as it's the weak link.
Also I have not noticed any real impact using dual band for wireless backhaul but tri band would be better of course hard wired is best but not really doable in every case.

I am confronted with the same question. I just ordered an RT-AX86U to replace my main router RT-AC86U. My access point (Not AIMESH) is an AC68U in access point mode (wired backhaul). Would you recommend the RT-AX68U to take its place? Or would an RT-AX58U suffice?

My setup is using RT-AX68U (main router) connected using Ethernet backhaul to RT-AC86U (mesh node) and everything is working really well. Most people in this forum probably see the RT-AX86U as the best router Asus has released, so if you can afford another one then get that, if not, then the RT-AX68U is also good.

I haven't (yet) tried myself, but it seems logical that the nodes should at least match the radio capabilities of the router. You can go down, but what's the reason of doing it when you've already paid for AX86U? :) My choice is AX86S. It's cheaper and has less CPU power, but otherwise it's the same device. Two CPU cores should be more than enough for the AP mode (mesh), and you save $50 per unit.

I haven't (yet) tried myself, but it seems logical that the nodes should at least match the radio capabilities of the router. You can go down, but what's the reason of doing it when you've already paid for AX86U? :) My choice is AX86S. It's cheaper and has less CPU power, but otherwise it's the same device. Two CPU cores should be more than enough for the AP mode (mesh), and you save $50 per unit.

My setup consists out of a RT-AX86U as main router and I have recently added a RT-AX86S as wireless node both running the latest Merlin build. I couldn't be more happier!

So, I did buy AX86S for the mesh node.
My setup consists out of a RT-AX86U as main router and I have recently added a RT-AX86S as wireless node both running the latest Merlin build. I couldn't be more happier!
I ended up buying this router too (AX86S). Spend some time testing AC68U as a mesh node. It was working fine, but no WiFi6 and there were "dark spots" in the house. With AX86S (ethernet backhaul) I've got WiFi6 in every corner of my house, and the worst speed I observe is above 150Mbps. So, it's definitely was a good choice for the mesh node. One other benefit is that if my main router fails, I will be able to easily repurpose the mesh node (simply restore the config).

As a side note to the mesh approach in general. Before, I had two Ubiquity APs that were broadcasting the same SSIDs. Since it was a device decision when to switch, it was not working good for the personal devices. The device could stay siting on a weak signal AP even though there is a better signal from another AP. With the mesh it switches very fast and seamlessly.

Go for a proper mesh node such as the XT8.

I use AX92u's and they have been working great. XT8's are newer but the performance is similar.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!