What's new

Ax92u and variable WiFi speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

someuser08

Occasional Visitor
I can't seem to get my head around this issue. Got a pair of Ax92u in Aimesh AP mode. My normal internet speed test from android 9 based phone is about 70mbps, but after a while (any time between 5 and 30 min) it slows down to 20mbps. Other devices still stay at 70 (for example fire TV stick). Reboot of the rooter helps for short while, reboot of the phone helps, even switch off/on of the phone WiFi helps.

Anyone encountered the same issue?

I can't seem to get my head around this issue. Got a pair of Ax92u in Aimesh AP mode. My normal internet speed test from android 9 based phone is about 70mbps, but after a while (any time between 5 and 30 min) it slows down to 20mbps. Other devices still stay at 70 (for example fire TV stick). Reboot of the rooter helps for short while, reboot of the phone helps, even switch off/on of the phone WiFi helps.

Anyone encountered the same issue?
Hi, do you have one SSID as with the default settings or do you have a separate SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz?
If it's only one SSID, explanation can be that one time you're connected to 2.4Ghz and other time you're on the 5Ghz band. Your router will decide for you based on smart connect rules and link quality between mobile phone and router/node. Especially if quality between bands is similar it will be rather random. By rebooting you take a new throw with the dice, so you could end up with the 5 Ghz, until you match one of the smart connect rules and he bumps you down to the 2.4Ghz.
I am on repeater mode and both routers share one SSID for 2.4Ghz and one for 5GHz. When doing a speedtest on the 2.4 band, I obtained about 20 Mbps, while on 5Ghz I reached 50-60 Mbps.

I use separate SSIDs, so that can't be it. Originally I thought may be somehow I'm being migrated to another node, but I was checking through the Asus app, and thats not the case, so no other ideas atm.

Did you compare the wireless log from both situations? If not, maybe an idea to check this one

Wireless log didn't show any difference between two runs, but I think its related to roaming somehow: if I stay within one node the speed seems to be good. As soon as I move closer to the other and roam then this is when speed drops. Wireless log definitely says that the station is gone from the first node...

This also explains why stationary devices do not have issues with the speed.

Is there a way of configuring APs on both nodes manually and still use wireless backhaul for interconnect (kind of manual mesh)?

Wireless log didn't show any difference between two runs, but I think its related to roaming somehow: if I stay within one node the speed seems to be good. As soon as I move closer to the other and roam then this is when speed drops. Wireless log definitely says that the station is gone from the first node...

This also explains why stationary devices do not have issues with the speed.

Is there a way of configuring APs on both nodes manually and still use wireless backhaul for interconnect (kind of manual mesh)?

As explained in another post of mine here , I went to manual settings. The whole setup is there . My idea with this setup was indeed to have some kind of manual mesh with the 5Ghz-2
reserved for backhaul traffic.
Up to you if you try the manual settings, but for me they were an improvement over the AiMesh settings.
Speed on stations improved a lot, acces to new AX features from the latest firmware and a router log not completely filled with wireless devices joining and leaving. For me only downside was that it took some time to find the settings that worked but once you got these you end up with a very nice wireless network.

How do you force a repeater to use AX band for backhaul when not using AIMesh? Also does the LAN network behind the repeater also work in this mode?

Just make sure you connect the RPT to the SSID of your RTR 5GHz-2 band and for easy access afterwards you set a manual ip address for the RPT. That way it's easier to ssh in to the RPT to enable ax mode for 5Ghz2 band.
The LAN works for me the same behind the RPT as with AiMesh => my main server is connected through UTP to the RPT and I have full access to the server from outside my network.

Below some ideas where to look for the AX settings
Main ax settings I'm aware of are under Advanced settings - Wireless - general for the 5Ghz-2 band.
  • wireless mode : ax only
  • wifi6 mode enable
  • wifi agile multiband enable
  • Target waiting time enable
Further under Advanced settings - Wireless -professional
  • ofdma (only with latest firmware available in GUI, maybe it has been always there through ssh)
On the RPT these settings are unavailable in the GUI, but you can go through ssh. If you lookup a feature and its setting on the RTR, you should implement the same setting on the RPT. (at least that was my strategy)

wl_11ax=1 => not 100% sure, but believe this is a setting which is valid for all three bands. You need to enable this one, if you want to enable the ax mode for any of the other wireless radios.
wl2_11ax=1 => this is the 5Ghz2 card
wl2.1_11ax=1 => this is the 5Ghz2 card

Anyway, if you're unsure on how to proceed, take a backup of your current settings and you can always revert back to them.

forget 'wl_11ax=1' as it does exactly the same for the active band chosen on wifi-tab.

Whatever is set there wl_ may change it. It is to set parameters of "selected" band, quite senseless on SSH level.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!