What's new

Axis M1054

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cbt

New Around Here
I need to find out a few tings and would appreciate any help. I am planning on using a Axis M1054 camera's. Having a look at the built in tools, it does not seem necessary to add a high powered NAS that has video hosting capabilities. The NAS just seems to duplicate the functions on the camera or do I have it wrong.

Would a simple network to USB adapter attacehed to the camera network not work? since the web front end is through the camera. What about setting the camera up to download any motion detected video to something like dropbox?

Any help on this will be appreciated

Thanks
:)

I didn't read about that Axis network camera. Generally, Axis cams are high quality, pro-grade and expensive.

the purpose of the video software on the NAS is to archive based on schedules, handle pre-event video storage, event tagging, in the database for recall (show me video from any cam around the time that the door-open alarm occurred), and that sort of thing. It can of course do simple archiving of multiple cams.

Some $$$ cams have an SD card built-in. You can thus go rummage around the video stored on that, remotely, or pull the card to study video due to a known security event (burglary, vandalism, etc.)

Some cams can push a clip of video via FTP. I've not seen a way to do this via dropbox or equiv. Not inexpensive, you can send net cam video to special servers, such as Axis' own VSaaS. And Dropcam is popular if not cheap. Google will keep you busy quite a while reading about options other than a NAS. Of course, if you want a NAS for other reasons, the video archiving is simply a concurrent function with the others such as file storage, media server, etc.

I have used my Synology 2-bay NAS with my low cost good IP cam (Panasonic).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!