What's new

Back up and Media Solution following WHS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

keyboard99

Occasional Visitor
I have an old WHS back up system which frankly is well out of date to state the obvious. So ditched it for the set up below.

I am looking for a backup and media solution. I shoot a lot of photos so having these backed up securely and regularly is key. I run an Android box for the TV media, using emby server from the main PC.

Main PC Win 7 has the following

Internal drives
C : - SSD OS
E:- 3TB - Media shares to Andriod box and a few back ups of other folder from G and J (554GB Free)
F: 1TB Main Photo drive for photos Type A + Music (50GB Free)
G: 3TB Main photo drive for photos Type B (600GB Free)

External USB
K: 3TB Back up of some folder on G: (Full)

WHS backs up some of these too but is falling over too much and these set up feels messy and the back ups to the E drive are manual.

So being I want to backup and feed music/video to the TV what do you think are my best options?

Ditch the E drive for starts into a NAS? Update the 1TB to a 3TB? 2 or 4 bay NAS? Or not NAS?

Any tips or solutions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:
I am thinking the original WHS is not supported any more by Microsoft. I have WHS 2011 and Microsoft has added support for Windows 10 and it seems to be working so I am sticking to it for a while.

What about buying one of the new NASs that has Microsoft Server on it for the OS? It will be more like what you have been using than switching to a completely new OS and starting over.

WHS is actually supported still by MSFT, I guess they're hoping most folks age out or abandon the platform...

Outside of Drive Pools (pretty cool if/when it worked) and Terminal Services... most consumer NAS boxes actually eclipsed what WHS offered - but some things need to be done by hand these days...

Nice article about the WHS situation - http://arstechnica.com/information-...home-server-is-dead-but-we-shouldnt-mourn-it/

Moving forward - perhaps QNAP/Synology is in OP's future if he wants to have similar functionality...

WHS is actually supported still by MSFT, I guess they're hoping most folks age out or abandon the platform...

Outside of Drive Pools (pretty cool if/when it worked) and Terminal Services... most consumer NAS boxes actually eclipsed what WHS offered - but some things need to be done by hand these days...

Nice article about the WHS situation - http://arstechnica.com/information-...home-server-is-dead-but-we-shouldnt-mourn-it/

Moving forward - perhaps QNAP/Synology is in OP's future if he wants to have similar functionality...

I think you are confusing the original WHS 1.0 with later versions. The original WHS does not have support any more.

What has replaced WHS newer versions is Microsoft server on a NAS. Microsoft feels like a NAS running server is not a threat to their main server line. The NASs are just too low power and limited memory to pose a threat.

Looks like I have WHS with power pack 3. I was only using it as a backup solution so maybe it was the wrong choice in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have an old WHS back up system which frankly is well out of date to state the obvious. So ditched it for the set up below.

I am looking for a backup and media solution. I shoot a lot of photos so having these backed up securely and regularly is key. I run an Android box for the TV media, using emby server from the main PC.

Main PC Win 7 has the following

Internal drives
C : - SSD OS
E:- 3TB - Media shares to Andriod box and a few back ups of other folder from G and J (554GB Free)
F: 1TB Main Photo drive for photos Type A + Music (50GB Free)
G: 3TB Main photo drive for photos Type B (600GB Free)

External USB
K: 3TB Back up of some folder on G: (Full)

WHS backs up some of these too but is falling over too much and these set up feels messy and the back ups to the E drive are manual.

So being I want to backup and feed music/video to the TV what do you think are my best options?

Ditch the E drive for starts into a NAS? Update the 1TB to a 3TB? 2 or 4 bay NAS? Or not NAS?

Any tips or solutions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Yes, NAS would be the perfect choice according to my opinion. You can try it with QNAP or Synology perhaps both works good and easy to setup.

Like the original poster I'm over 70 and a user of the Buffalo brand of NAS units that are both Apple and Windows compatible and come with applications for both. Yes they are looked down on and can be a challenge to setup when they are bought "driveless" but once the drives are recognized they are the ever ready bunny. Drive-less enclosures can be found for as low as $110 that fits my budget and 3 TB drives can be found for the same $110. For a total of $330 you can have a 6 TB NAS with a GB network interface.
I just moved up from my older two LS-WVL to 3 of the newer faster but still not the latest LS-421 and larger HDD's. I prefer to get them bare, without drives, and use the drives of my choice, WD RED ones but both RED and GREEN are "approved". The older units do "sleep" and have an "Auto" setting on the power switch where they go to sleep when there is no activity. My newer ones lack the "auto" mode but the drives do spin down. I think that's to balance between boot time and being available. Buffalo NAS units do have some negative reviews but I believe a lot of it is the users purchasing them are not too technically inclined. Buffalo has good, fast, based in the USA (Texas), English speaking free support for the first 90 days. I hope I've not offended any non English speaking members but when you need support it sure helps if both ends speak the same language natively.
For about $330 you can have 6 TB of online storage, that's a lot of pictures!!! I have a second unit for backup and use the built in backup utility scheduled nightly backups.
I do not have my NAS units visible on the WWW but they are capable and my DVR and cameras setup is available online and I found the hardest part was getting my router setup.
Having my DVR setup for web viewing I "assume" it would be easy adding a NAS.

Joe

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!