What's new

Backing up Synology NAS *TO* a network drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GeneJockey

Occasional Visitor
Most backup discussions seem to focus (not surprisingly) on how to backup to my NAS. I'm covered on that topic.

But I want to know if it is possible to backup the Synology *TO* a networked drive on my PC. I can't seem to figure out how to do this, or if that is an option.

I can see how to backup to a USB drive attached to the USB port of the NAS, but I have a SATA III external drive in a drive enclosure that is attached to my PC via an e-SATA connection that I would like to use to backup files from the NAS. Because it is an e-SATA connection, and my NAS (215j) only has a USB port, I can't connect the two directly. But they are all on the same network so I figured I must be able to go from NAS to external SATA somehow, bit I haven't figured out just how to set that up in DSM.

Anyone?

Will be much slower than USB3 or eSATA.

You can, permissions permitting, get the Synology to mount a share on a PC. I also mount a share on a cheapie NAS on my LAN.

Synology doesn't support backup to network shares. Only network backup option is rsync.

DeltaCopy is a simple rsync server you can run on Windows.

Curious... On my Synology, I used DSM's web browser interface to "remote" mount a share that is on a Windows 7 PC and a share that is on an older NAS, on my LAN.
I can use these mounted (CIFS) shares for file copy in/out.
But the DSM backup utility and the DSM Time Backup (time machine like) versioning backup grey out these shares in the list of destinations. Maybe I have the permissions wrong.

The "remote share" mount capability works for any CIFS file system, as above it's windows 7 and an old Linux based NAS. You don't request the destination to be a "Network" backup, but rather, the destination is a folder or mounted share on the Synology

Curious... On my Synology, I used DSM's web browser interface to "remote" mount a share that is on a Windows 7 PC and a share that is on an older NAS, on my LAN.

You're talking about File Station and using the Mount Remote Folder option?

Network copy is supported only via rsync. Two way shared folder sync is supported only between Synology NASes.

DSM 5.1 help says
"Using remote folders as backup source or backup destination is not supported."

I assumed that they're referring to the DSM backup utility rather than the Time Backup in DSM.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm looking to do the same thing... I'd like to backup my Synology to my old Seagate Central which just presents shares. Is the consensus here that it is not possible to backup to a network share?

I'm looking to move on from Wd MyCloud but on the Synology community there is its of issues with HyperBackup taking forever to do a simple backup to USB.

I'm looking to move on from Wd MyCloud but on the Synology community there is its of issues with HyperBackup taking forever to do a simple backup to USB.
You may be using the journaling option. Scroll down the HyperBackup page and use the attached backup option near the bottom, if I remember correctly. I ran into the same problem during one of the recent Synology reviews.

You may be using the journaling option. Scroll down the HyperBackup page and use the attached backup option near the bottom, if I remember correctly. I ran into the same problem during one of the recent Synology reviews.
Thanks Tim. I'll check that out.

Hoping to find an answer here, but still have some questions. I purchased a DS115J (single bay NAS) to install in my house and wanted to install an External USB HD on a 2nd router located in my detached garage. The reason being is although files are priceless (photos, videos, etc), I wanted to have a backup in a remote location in case of theft or fire. If either location had a theft or fire, the other location would be safe. I tries the rsync, but that appears to only be useful for NAS-NAS systems. Can anyone advise if there is an Synology App for this scenario? So far it looks like I need to purchase another NAS to sync the files in a remote location unfortunately. Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
Hoping to find an answer here, but still have some questions. I purchased a DS115J (single bay NAS) to install in my house and wanted to install an External USB HD on a 2nd router located in my detached garage.
I don't know of a router that supports the rsync server you'd need to do this.

You need the ability to back up via SAMBA/SMB. NETGEAR ReadyNASes support this. So do WD MyClouds.

Thx thiggins. I went onto the router in the garage and the Asus RT-N16 appears to have SAMBA capability. My main house router shows similar capability. See attached pics. Do you have a recommended place for me to learn the necessary steps to accomplish my task or app to use with my Synology NAS ?
samba1.JPG
samba2.JPG

This can be done, but not directly from NAS to drive unfortunately. I ended up having to use Carbon Copy Cloner on my computer and schedule a backup from my Synology NAS to my shared drive. The data has to travel through the computer and on down to the drive, which is not ideal as it adds a link in the chain, but it does work.

Last I checked the Hyper Backup add-in gives you the most backup options. But I don't think it supports CIFS/SAMBA/SMB folders. Below are the backup options supported at the beginning of this year in DSM 6.0.2.

synology_ds216j_backup_wizard_all_highlighted.jpg

I believe that is for a local drive attached to the NAS, backup to a local folder on the NAS, or to backup to another NAS via rsync. To backup directly to another shared drive on the network from a Synology NAS is not possible AFAIK.

Thank you guys for the informative response. Looks like I'll need to but another NAS to accomplish this. Curious if you guys feel the DS115J is sufficient or if I should move up to the DS116 for the 2nd unit. Response time seems slow on the DS115J. The DS115J would become the "Master" NAS. This is simply a home network backup. No video server, but using the surveillance feature. Really appreciate it guys.