What's new

Backup of my Netgear R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LeKeiser

Hello,

I've been using a 7800 for two years at least (if not more) and I have zero problem with it, using the latest Voxel firmware.Really great firmware, the router is 110% stable.
My use is pretty simple. No VPN, I don't use the QOS. I have something like 30+ WiFi devices connected. My Internet link is 1GB/60MB and my Speedtest results validate that. Netflix/Prime work like a charm. I stream videos from my NASes 4K H265 with no lag, using cable with my Shield or WiFi with my iPads.
Really a great router.
But I would like to back it up in case something goes wrong. It's been more than 2 yrs, so you never know.
So I was thinking of getting another R7800, I would flash it with Voxel's firmware, and I would upload the configuration file of my actual R7800. I know that I would have configure again all my WiFi devices, but I would have to do that with any new router anyway. At least, with another 7800, if I have a problem with the power supply, then it would take a minute to be back online :)

Or would you get a more recent router? If so, which one? Something very stable... Was looking at the R9000, Voxel has a firmware available, so... Many comments on the Netgear routers are not great, I've noticed that when I was using only Netgear firmwares, there were new bugs everytime.

What do you think? What should I do? I was thinking about that last night, what would I do if my router broke down... How fast I could be back online, with all my devices connected...
The R7800 is about €180. The R9000 is way more, €390 :(

Thank you for your replies :)

You are overthinking this, IMO. :)

Buy a router when/if you need it. Not for backup purposes for merely 'home' use. ;)

In less than an hour, you can have WiFi and internet access again if necessary. Including (probably) going to the store and buying something current at that time that will handily outperform even the venerable R7800.

Unless you're abusing your router (high heat/humidity, low air circulation, and/or excessive dust), there is not much need for a router to be waiting... You'll simply have two obsolete and expensive routers before you know it. :)

What I would recommend is a good UPS for your networking equipment though. That is a better investment in the long term. ;)

If Netgear's/Voxel's backup schema is anywhere near competent, the config file should contain all settings. I would just take a static backup and store it on redundant, protected media. Optionally, perhaps you could even script an automatic config backup to network-enabled storage, at whatever interval satisfies you.

In terms of the hardware backup, it probably makes more sense to just buy a backup AC adapter, as those are often the actual items that fail on all-in-ones, less so the caps, chips or antennas on the routers themselves.

Regarding alternative AIOs, the R7800 is pretty darn close to the top for wifi range/performance; even the CPU is still tough to beat. If you considered something else, you might consider a different brand, for better software. Such as Asus for Merlin. Or Linksys for OpenWRT.

Beyond that, though, an overall better move for your money could very well be discrete components. Instead of $300-400 on some AX all-in-one beta-fest, invest that into a proven wired router, core switch and AP(s). Example: UBNT EdgeRouter 4 ($175), EdgeSwitch 8-150W ($175) and a TP-Link EAP245 ($85) (or two or more with an OC200 controller ($85)). Backups should be fairly easily scriptable on the Edge stuff, even likely so from the OC200 as well. And if you happen to lose a piece of hardware, it impacts much less of your whole "stack" than if you were to lose your entire all-in-one. Just something to chew on for the future.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!