What's new

Bad ping from Macs to RT-AC87U on 802.11ac

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ac87user

New Around Here
Hi,

I had the same issue with the RT-AC66U and it hasn't improved after upgrading to the AC87U - I intermittently get high latency (poor ping times) from various new Macs in my house to the AC87U.

Example ping output: http://dpaste.com/0FJKCXF

Gets bad from icmp seq #440 and then stays bad

This is from a Retina iMac which has established an 802.11ac link on channel 161 (Tx Rate: 878 Mbps) to the AC87U. The iMac is only about 7-8 metres away from the router in a big open room (not even going through any walls).

Using iStumbler on the iMac shows no other 5 GHz networks in range - Only a single other weak signal on channel 52, there's only my network around channel 161 (I'm in Australia)

I get the same results from a new 2015 MacBook 12" - Latency is ok sometimes (consistent 2-3ms pings) but it frequently gets bad as shown above. I haven't been able to work out any particular reason behind this. When I notice the bad ping, the network is not busy. I'm the only person on it and not doing anything other than pinging.

I'm running Merlin WRT 378.54_2, 5 GHz settings are Wireless Mode Auto / 80 MHz / Control Chan Auto / Extension Chan Auto. I've tried tweaking the Professional settings but this seems to get no consistent improvement.

Any ideas?

Don't use Control Channel Auto.

Try all the channels one by one (over a 24 hour period each) to see which gives you the best performance.

In the 5GHz band in my area, I find that the lower channels give much better range and throughput than the higher channels (I use channels 48 and lower).

I've got the exact same thing on my mid 2015 MacBook Pro on 5GHz. Rebooting the Mac solves this for a few minutes/hours doesn't it? My wife's Mac (end 2008 model) does work fine at the same time I'm having issues. All works fine on 2.5GHz.

So far I have not found any solution yet, although I have upgraded to the latest Merlin Beta 1 (378.55 Beta 1). I can't be certain the issue is fixed though.

In my case there are no other 5GHz networks either and I'm using fixed channel 104 (to allow higher power) and 80MHz width.

I use WiFi Explorer and I can't even see my 5Ghz network even though I'm connected to it :p Can see other 5Ghz's though...

I wouldn't worry too much about the 5Ghz at the moment though, seems to be a lot of updates recently to it, should hopefully get better soon.

I just disable my 5Ghz until it's all fixed.

Hi,

I had the same issue with the RT-AC66U and it hasn't improved after upgrading to the AC87U - I intermittently get high latency (poor ping times) from various new Macs in my house to the AC87U.

Example ping output: http://dpaste.com/0FJKCXF

Gets bad from icmp seq #440 and then stays bad

This is from a Retina iMac which has established an 802.11ac link on channel 161 (Tx Rate: 878 Mbps) to the AC87U. The iMac is only about 7-8 metres away from the router in a big open room (not even going through any walls).

Using iStumbler on the iMac shows no other 5 GHz networks in range - Only a single other weak signal on channel 52, there's only my network around channel 161 (I'm in Australia)

I get the same results from a new 2015 MacBook 12" - Latency is ok sometimes (consistent 2-3ms pings) but it frequently gets bad as shown above. I haven't been able to work out any particular reason behind this. When I notice the bad ping, the network is not busy. I'm the only person on it and not doing anything other than pinging.

I'm running Merlin WRT 378.54_2, 5 GHz settings are Wireless Mode Auto / 80 MHz / Control Chan Auto / Extension Chan Auto. I've tried tweaking the Professional settings but this seems to get no consistent improvement.

Any ideas?

high ping issue has always exist in ac87u 5g band, apple device is particularly serious. but i never had this problem with my ac68u(BCM chip). i think the root of problem is Quantenna, recently you can see their 5g driver frequently updated. please give up the meaningless attempt, changing the channel can not solve the problem fundamentally. currently, the only way is to temporatily use 2.4G, while waiting for the new firmware to solve the problem.