What's new

Bandwidth Consumption through RV180

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MikeDiMunno

New Around Here
I am working with a customer utilizing a RV180 as their EDGE device and an SF102 small business 24 port switch for switching. At times, we are experiencing issues whereby some device or devices are consuming all available WAN bandwidth, causing the internet to be poor-performing at best during this timeframe. We are looking for a way to determine what specific host or hosts are consuming all of this bandwidth. I know with an ASA you can set up Netflow through PRTG - can this be done on the RV180 and if so, how can I set this up? Or is there some other methodology I can use to find the culprit host(s)?

Thanks,

Mike

Not that I know of.
You can try calling cisco. If its less than a year old they should give you a hand for free.

Edit:
Although if you don't mind adding extra hardware to the mix, you can put a PC with 2 NICs and untangle in bridge mode in between the switch and firewall.
Should give you exactly the info you are looking for.

I would be interested in knowing also as I looked through the menu on my RV180 and don’t see a way to figure out the most internet used IP address at a point in time. There a couple of ways to limit traffic flow using QOS and WAN Traffic Meter. I wonder if you could setup the WAN Traffic Meter and whoever runs out their limit first is your guy. This would probably not work for occasional spike users as it only accumulates over time.

There is a new firmware version out as of a couple of months ago and I like it best of all the firmware’s. You might want to upgrade if you have not already done so.

I support free Untangle as I have been running it for years. It is a great product. It is easy to setup and basically maintenance free. It has caught stuff which flows right through a router.

Thanks to those who responded so far - I will probably end up putting an Untangle box in place unless someone comes up with an alternative way to do this that is easier. Much appreciated.

The only other option is to replace the switch that supports open flow or netflow, or swap out the router for something with bandwidth monitoring built in.
Depends on how much time effort and budget you have.

If you want to swap the router we would need a list of all the requirements it has to support before an alternative can be suggested.

You can also get a hub or switch with mirroring in between the edge switch and router. That way a machine running PRTG can capture the flows.

Last edited:
I have plans to replace the switch with a gigabit switch in any case - I was considering an HP Procurve 1810g-24 V2 to replace the SF102-24. I take it that would work for netflow?

I have plans to replace the switch with a gigabit switch in any case - I was considering an HP Procurve 1810g-24 V2 to replace the SF102-24. I take it that would work for netflow?
Don't quote me on this one but I am 99.9% sure the 1810 series does not support netflow or even sflow.

http://sflow.org/products/network.php
If its not listed there do not under any circumstances expect it to support sflow. Switches that support netflow are even more limited in number.

Last edited:
Unless you meant to use the 1810 with a port mirror on the router facing port. Then yes, it would work in that respect.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!