What's new

Baystack 5510-48t Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AlecJBrock

New Around Here
I bought the aforementioned switch on eBay a while ago. It was a complete gamble at $60; "powers on" was all the seller could say about its functionality, they were selling a ton of them and it was obvious they're some sort of surplus.

It does indeed power on, and according to the manual I found online, the status lights indicate that its operating normally.

I used the UI button on the front to reset the switch's settings to factory default (as per the instructions in the manufacturer's manual).

Now I need to access the switch to set it up (just connecting it to the router and then various devices does nothing), but I can't figure out how.

From my understanding, I have a couple options for connecting to the switch to change its settings: via Ethernet and using a web browser to navigate to the switch's GUI using its IP address, or via a console cable.

I tried the Ethernet option, but using the default IPs I found online in forums/comments didn't link to anything. Nortel doesn't have anything regarding default IPs in any of their documentation that I've found.

I bought an RS-232 to RJ45 cable (not as much of a gamble for $3), but again without knowing a default host name (I did find what looks to be default username and passwords) and having a very very minimal understanding of using command line/telnet I've been unsuccessful. Not even certain the cable is the right thing.

So, any help on accessing the switch so I can get it set up?

My next attempt is going to be installing a DHCP server on my Linux setup and see if anything comes of connecting the switch to my computer via Ethernet that way. I read in one forum that connecting it to a DHCP server might assign it an IP that I can use--connecting to my router did not achieve this.

Here's some info that might help you help me:

I have three computers at my disposal that I could use if needed:

A 64-bit Windows 10 Compaq laptop,
HP Desktop with AMD processor running up-to-date Fedora 23 (Linux),
And an OS X 10.4 Power PC Mac Mini.

My router is an ASUS RT-N53.

The switch is a Nortel Baystack 5510-48T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ived used them a long time ago, you will need to find a manual in order to configure it. You will need serial, terminal or there might be a software for it as some switches have. Nortel did make some good networking equipment. If your laptop has expresscard or usb you can get a serial adapter instead but if the switch has a serial rj45 management(or LOM) port than you will need the right software for it.

I'm pretty frustrated with this switch. I also picked one up to attempt to broaden my horizons a bit with some networking knowledge (I'm a systems engineer working in applications integration) to further my career. The lack of support from the company for those working on their product, whether it is second hand or not, is ridiculous. I've been looking for the switch manager software or the CLI, just to be able to access the switch to do some configuration. I know the switch is passing the signal through, because I'm able to access the internet through the switch. However, I can't access anything inside the switch for administrative purposes. I'm really amazed that Avaya doesn't make this firmware and documentation available for people that own the product.

Sorry to vent. If you guys have any tips, I'd appreciate the help.

You must connect with CLI first, using a straight serial cable from a laptop/desktop computer. Putty for the software serial connection.
Once you are in the terminal window, press Ctrl W if nothing appears at first, then Ctrl Y to get into the list.
Setup the IP address and subnet mask for the IP address you wish to use for the web interface. (10.11.1.(10) 255.255.255.0). It will ask you to set a default gateway as well, 10.11.1.1
Once this is setup restart the switch , then set your computer to the same IP range (10.11.1.15).
You can now login to the web site using a browser.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!