What's new

Belkin MultiBeam Technology ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iwod

Regular Contributor
I am reading a PR which states Belkin has a new MultiBeam Technology that is unique to them.

However reading from the previous review of Belkin N750 has no mention of it.

Is it something new to the new line of Router? ( They have kept the same name for different model. So i am not even sure if they are exactly the same )

I am reading a PR which states Belkin has a new MultiBeam Technology that is unique to them.

It is not unique; the AiRadar, the new MultiBeam Technology, or what ever you want to call it is part of the 802.11n spec. PR spin for a function that is normally included in the spec and is exactly the same due to the fact that the chips are almost basically the same used in the RT-N56U when comparing the Belkin N750 DB. Only difference between the RT3883F (Belkin N750 DB) and the RT3662 (RT-N56U) are the 5GHz radios. 3T3R 450/450 for the RT388F and 2T3R 300/300 for RT3662. They both use the RT3092 2T2R 2.4GHz radios via the PCIe interface. Both are a based on an APSoC from Ralink with a 5GHz radio integrated. Note, this is the technology used by the APSoC from Ralink: Implicit and Explicit Transmit Beamforming.

http://www.ralinktech.com/en/02_products/product_list2.php?cata2_sn=301&cata3_sn=401

http://www.ncanet.com/products/documents/Beamforming-WP-031309.pdf

Last edited:
As Shikami noted, beamforming is an optional part of 802.11n. I've yet to see it have a significant effect on performance. Here is a relatively understandable explanation of beamforming.

No love for my PDF link :)!

Higgins!! I and many others are looking forward to the DIR-827 and DIR-857 being reviewed!!! Hopefully, soon???

You found significant improvement in throughputs in your locations D and E but are unsure if the beamforward technology was responsible? Or was it price to performance you question?

Also, the Quantenna link states there is no real boost from beamforwarding until you use 4x4 technology. Don't they appear to agree with you?
In contrast, a 3x3 system transmitting two data streams has significantly lower reliability since there is only one extra antenna to focus energy in the two required directions. A 2x2 system gets very little benefit from transmit beamforming since has only the minimum required antennas. While dynamic digital beamforming works with any number of receive antennas, it is most powerful in a 4x4 MIMO configuration.
This is confusing. :confused:

I have experience with beamforming in 802.16e (mobile WiMax). Its benefit in WiMax should be but is not significant - like 6dB of better antenna gain and less co-channel interference. In WiFi, the router/AP is dirt cheap, compared to '16e, and the beamforming benefit is probably nill at that price point.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!