What's new

Best 2.4 GHz router with storage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EDIT: I noticed this thread was longer than I originally thought, and it has gone far beyond the "with storage" part of the title. With that in mind, I'm still leaving this post, as I've found this to be the best case over the years with network design, home or SMB.

My recommendation is going to be my standard one --remove the router from the equation when it comes to storage.

Get a two-bay NAS; if you can't afford this, get a one-bay (but two is better, you can use RAID-1 as fault tolerance that way).

USB connected to a router isn't nearly as stable as a NAS connected to a wired port on your router or elsewhere on your network. This completely removes the router choice from the equation. I say the same thing about printers; having one with a wired network port is of minimal extra cost (unless you're buying cheapie printers) and once again, is more stable. Performance is now no longer dependent on the USB throughput of your router as well.

Your router should be your router -that is, it should be for routing. And for a home network, wireless. Not everyone will agree with me, but I find too many routers that are a jack of all trades, master of none; better to make sure you segment the roles of your network products.

USB connected to a router isn't nearly as stable as a NAS connected to a wired port on your router or elsewhere on your network. This completely removes the router choice from the equation. I say the same thing about printers; having one with a wired network port is of minimal extra cost (unless you're buying cheapie printers) and once again, is more stable. Performance is now no longer dependent on the USB throughput of your router as well.

Your router should be your router -that is, it should be for routing. And for a home network, wireless. Not everyone will agree with me, but I find too many routers that are a jack of all trades, master of none; better to make sure you segment the roles of your network products.

I second what LoneWolf says regarding both printers and storage.

Printers connected using Wifi connected or USB connected via a router have never been totally reliable while my printer connected using an Ethernet connection prints first time everytime. Many WiFi enabled printers also have an Ethernet jack. If it does use it.

Apparently there is a different between the v1 & v2 routers, as Linksys support noted. I have v1 and used their recommended firmware and everything is fairly stable for the last couple of days (both radios working normally). Except I can't login to SmartWifi, trying to figure out how to login to the router locally based on what the local IPs are (10.166.111.xxx).

I do understand the recommendation to have specific products for specific purposes but it is out of the budget.

Quick follow-up: I just got the WRT1900ACS. 2.4ghz performance is spotty, 5ghz seems solid. Futzing with the settings to stabilize the 2.4 signal.

OK - I'm back in the market for a new router. The Linksys is crap. Just spent 5h (!!!) trying to bridge my Actiontec or simply put the Linksys in a DMZ and turn off the Actiontec's wifi & DHCP. I set both devices back to factory settings multiple times & tried different configurations.

Right now, the Linksys and the Actiontec are almost back at factory settings. The only config on the Linksys: guest networks off. The only config on the Actiontec: wifi radio turned off.

A speedtest on the Actiontec (wired) is roughly 60up/60down. A speedtest on the Linksys 5ghz network? 3/1. When the Linksys was completely at factory settings (aside from changing the ssid/pw) wired speeds were 58/64 & wireless 5ghz was 45/21.

The icing on the cake is after I reset the Linksys to factory settings, within minutes it dropped all connection - wired & wireless - and then came back on after a minute. This happened on Thursday as well, a few hours after I initially installed the new router.

So I'm done with Linksys - any recommendations on another router, preferably one that plays nice with the Actiontec?

Keep the Actiontec in bridge mode. Replace the Linksys with an Archer C9 (or AC68U/R7000 if you perceive their higher price, but slightly higher wifi range, to be worth it, and/or if the possibility of third-party firmwares don't scare you). Then do a separate NAS (prices have lowered a bit) - WD MyCloud 2TB for $130 looks decent. If the next all-in-one falls short on routing, drop in a $50 EdgeRouter X and turn the all-in-one into an access point. Done.

For not much more than the 1900AC was, with almost as much wifi range, and likely way better network storage performance, I think you'll find the above approach saves a fair amount of headaches. :)

Last edited:
Right now, the Linksys and the Actiontec are almost back at factory settings. The only config on the Linksys: guest networks off. The only config on the Actiontec: wifi radio turned off.

A speedtest on the Actiontec (wired) is roughly 60up/60down. A speedtest on the Linksys 5ghz network? 3/1. When the Linksys was completely at factory settings (aside from changing the ssid/pw) wired speeds were 58/64 & wireless 5ghz was 45/21.

So you're saying that the WRT1900ACS slows to a crawl as soon as you make any config changes? (e.g. turn off the guest network)?

Have you made sure you're running the latest firmware (I believe there is only the initial firmware so far, but just in case)? Also it might be a little simplistic but have you tried to just unplug the router and re-plug it after 30 seconds?

In some previous posts you mentioned that your 1900AC v1 was running hot. Does the ACS do the same thing? If so, are you making sure the router is on a hard, flat surface in a cool environment? Carpets and direct sunlight are big no-nos.

One last thing: Make sure your modem is in bridge mode, otherwise the wifi network it spits out can easily conflict with the one coming from your Linksys.

Thanks - I am on the latest firmware. After cooling off (me, not the router) I ran some tests and found that the speed was not that bad, depending on the device & whether it was the 2.4 or 5ghz network. I got close to 60 up/60 down on one laptop on the 5ghz network and the the 2.4 network didn't break 20 up or down.

The 2.4 connectivity issues on a couple of laptops were specific to the back of the house where we have a bunch of competing networks.

What did not change is that the external storage performance sucked - playback was ok but I cannot copy large files to or from the device as the connection dropped regularly.

I have a Netgear R7000 on the way. If that doesn't pan out then I'll consider @skip's suggestion.

Also, for some reason, they removed the fans from the ACS, which seems like an odd decision when the previous model seemed to run hot. FYI the routers have always been in the same place - a side table, with a small shelf 6" above the router. The space around the router is open on all 4 sides so ventilation is definitely not an issue. No sunlight or carpets involved.

Regarding the Actiontec & bridge mode: I can't find documentation anywhere that let's me do this reliably. atm the best I can do is turn off the wifi network.

Okay, let us know how the R7000 fares. I'm interested in the differences between those two routers.

I think they took out the fan from the AC v2 and the ACS because they put a new processor that was underclocked in there with a better heat sink. But if you're reporting that it was still running hot, then I'm not sure. My router is in my basement so it's never running too hot thanks to the cooler temps down there.

Ha - sorry @Trip :)

Twice in the last couple of hours both 2.4 & 5Ghz networks dropped completely & came back on after a couple of minutes. The Netgear R7000 that's out for delivery can't arrive soon enough...

No worries. R7K -> update to latest factory firmware -> full reset --> config from scratch. I bet it fairs a bit better. If so, you can the WRT to the big eBay city in the sky. :)

Got the R7000 up & running last night. It seems to have the latest firmware (nothing found when checking for updates). The 5GHz network signal is steady & solid all around the house, some of the devices that had slower connection speeds before are much improved. (the 2.4 network signal fluctuates wildly but that is a secondary to figuring out DLNA)

However the DLNA is not working yet. The media server is enabled. I can connect to & see the external storage in Windows, including accessing files/playing back video (haven't tried copying files yet). The TV can see the share but only a single folder that doesn't have any media files in it.

Prior to all these issues I had a NetgearR6100 whose dlna pseudo-worked in conjunction with Serviio but it was very spotty overall.

Any suggestions on resolving the dlna issues?

@Trip things aren't going so smoothly with the R7000. I rebooted the router and now the TV gets dropped regularly on the 5ghz network. Coupled with dlna not working at all, I'm beyond displeased. At least hte Linksys had the decency to work really well before showing its true colors :/

I already have a hard drive (a 3tb Seagate) so I guess I need a NAS to connect it to? And I'd like to ditch the Netgear for something cheaper that can handle the wifi reliably. Suggestions?

Are you willing to try xVortex or AdvancedTomato? That would be my suggestion before it goes back for a return. Should be able to get stable 5Ghz and DLNA functioning just fine. Might take a slight range hit, but hopefully it will still get you the coverage you need.

Yes, I can give those a shot. Is one of them easier to install than another? (assuming that involves providing a file to upgrade the firmware)

Leaning toward AT's clean aesthetic. Is the latest firmware the way to go?

Got the R7000 up & running last night. It seems to have the latest firmware (nothing found when checking for updates). The 5GHz network signal is steady & solid all around the house, some of the devices that had slower connection speeds before are much improved. (the 2.4 network signal fluctuates wildly but that is a secondary to figuring out DLNA)

Something perhaps environmental going on in your location with the 2.4GHz - you've gone thru a few devices (Router/AP's) and the problem persists...

It's either external RF (WiFi/BlueTooth/Zigbee/something...) or a power issue with mains that you're plugging the Routers in to...

I know it's frustrating, but there's something odd going on there - nobody should be having the problems that you're having..

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!