What's new

Best 2.4 GHz router with storage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quick follow-up: I just got the WRT1900ACS. 2.4ghz performance is spotty, 5ghz seems solid. Futzing with the settings to stabilize the 2.4 signal.

spotty performance in 2.4GHz is likely due to the 2.4GHz radio running in "Mixed" mode, vs. my recommendation to run it in B/G/N-Only mode...

long story that perhaps doesn't end just yet, but it's how Marvell implemented turboQAM (QAM256) for 600 Mbit/Sec numbers in 2.4GHz band.

Configure it as shown below - and it's a beast... performance and stability go way up to the top of the class..

wrt1900ac_v1_v2_acs_2G_config.png

Sorry @sfx2000 - the ACS is long gone. I did switch it from mixed to BGN before returning it. The wifi performance with a Netgear R7000 running Advanced Tomato is doing great for me.

Update: almost everything is well with the R7000 & Advanced Tomato. Wifi performance has been rock solid, as has access to the external storage - except for one thing: connection to the media server from the TV is spotty. Sometimes the connection will drop after 20min, sometimes 2h.

The TV is connected via ethernet and when the media server connection is lost the tv remains online. Restarting the tv is the way to get the media server connection back. I've not noticed any problems with accessing files on the external storage from any of our computers - copying large files back & forth is no problem.

I posted about this here in another forum but haven't received a reply. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot & resolve this?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!