What's new

Best ADSL modem? Need advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joel Heaps

New Around Here
Hello SNB! I'm looking for recommendations for a new ADSL2+ modem for our household. Wireless capability is no factor--whatever has reliable, good performance on WAN is mainly my concern.

I live in rural Iowa (US). Our telecom provider, Windstream, recently introduced modem leasing fees, and our current Windstream modem (made by SpeedStream) regularly overheats / has network performance problems. Looking to upgrade to something sturdier, but the internet is pretty vague on any info concerning ADSL modems. Was hoping someone here might be able to shine some light on the subject. Thanks!

This is a Reddit cross-post. https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/4cntdg/best_adsl2_modem_advice_needed/

According to my research, anything with Broadcom.

You can also improve your signal by checking your internal (home) wiring. Personally, my ADSL line is a single line from the demarcation box, with a single splitter/filter at the box, rather than a filter at every phone.

Also, if your signal is reliable, make sure your DSL is "fastpath" rather than interleaved.

Get a TP-Link ADSL modem. It's like $12 on Amazon.

I have Windstream as well. I use my old Speedstream 4100. Lots of people like the older device, but really, none of my Windstream-supplied SpeedStreams & Sagemcoms have given me any trouble.

Before you order anything, pick a couple and call the provider to see if they support the modem...

draytek is good, other than that look at the chips used by the modem. Zyxel also have good modems but pricey.

Make sure the modem supports what is used by the ISP. Some ISPs will blatantly say they dont allow your own modem/router or that they dont support it. Take a look at what your current modem uses to connect.

Some ISPs lock your connection to their device which would require hacks to get another modem to work on it.

Windstream does not officially support anything but the Speedstream & Sagemcom devices that they supply, but any ADSL2+ modem will work. Very few people have ever complained about a generic modem failing to work.

If you want more details, search the Windstream section of the DSLReports forums.

For ADSL2+ we use Speedtouch (ST516) and Zyxel P660 with our customers. We switched to the Zyxel due to limited availability on the ST516 from our suppliers.

I would add that you may be better off converting your ISP modem into an ethernet bridge and then routing it to a much more powerful router to perform the core networking functions. A fair portion of your ADSL modems are highly vendor sensitive and specific to each vendor equipment piece upstream from the modem hardware in the DSLAM and beyond.

Then factor in you have issues, disconnect your router or not, plug in to your ISP modem and log a call. They have to support you then.