What's new

best and most reliable firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cmartell1978

New Around Here
Hey guys, looking to see what is the best firmware to date for this router. Just purchased it yesterday, came loaded with .220 firmware on it. Is that the best one out there? or what about rmerlin? im not flashing ddwrt or tomato, just want it to be as fast as it can be, for watching netflix, surfing the web, playing xbox etc.

Thanks in advance

latest Merlin build 266.23b works best for me , new beta is not bad either

thanks everyone. Anyone else? is there any firmware that solves the xbox live issue ive been reading about? is there any firmware faster than the others?

Yes, I tried the new Beta, no IPv6, so I'm back on 266.23b. Very nice, stable, and fast.

Try them yourself. You alone have the surrounding environments that might affect your setup.

I'm also running stock .246 with almost no issues. I've had to reboot the router once or twice in about three months. I'm too lazy to install every new version that comes along (especially when I have no problems), but my next firmware upgrade will DEFINITELY be a Merlin version.

Aaaaaaaaand... my router just died. When applying power, the 1, 2, and Internet light come on solidly, but that's it. No activity. Can't reset. Can't put into recovery mode. Frozen solid.

Wouldn't mind so much but my first one was a lemon too. Didn't last an hour before fritzing out.

Time to get in touch with Asus. <sigh>

I also recommend Asuswrt-merlin!

Hey guys, looking to see what is the best firmware to date for this router.
Hi Cmartell,

I also recommend Asuswrt-merlin for the RT-N66u router!

Looking into the design goals with this firmware:
- Stay as close as possible to the original firmware.
- The goal is to improve, not to replace the original firmware's functionality Projects like DD-WRT and Tomato have existed for years, and benefit from those years of development to offer a lot of new features.
- Priorities: Stability > performance > features.
- Targeting the novice and average user.
Full details on Merlin's project charta can be found here.

This explains to me why this is the best of two worlds: Being up-to-date with the Asus development but also having some fixes and addons - as far as they make sense.

In case you need "more specialities" you should look first to solve it by adding Optware (or even better Entware) and Merlin's user-scripts on top of the blank firmware.

By the way: I am coming from DD-WRT supported routers, and I am perfectly happy with Asuswrt-merlin plus Entware! :D

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
believe it or not, i have 260 and it is a dream. have not had one concern nor a reboot other than rebooting after an adjustment to the settings

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!