best and most reliable firmware

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by cmartell1978, Jan 18, 2013.

1. cmartell1978

cmartell1978 New Around Here

Hey guys, looking to see what is the best firmware to date for this router. Just purchased it yesterday, came loaded with .220 firmware on it. Is that the best one out there? or what about rmerlin? im not flashing ddwrt or tomato, just want it to be as fast as it can be, for watching netflix, surfing the web, playing xbox etc.

Thanks in advance

2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. pjalexander73

pjalexander73 Occasional Visitor

I've only ever tried the stock variety. 3.0.0.4.246 has been the most reliable for me.

4. jerry6

jerry6 Senior Member

latest Merlin build 266.23b works best for me , new beta is not bad either

5. cmartell1978

thanks everyone. Anyone else? is there any firmware that solves the xbox live issue ive been reading about? is there any firmware faster than the others?

6. RogerSC

RogerSC Very Senior Member

Yes, I tried the new Beta, no IPv6, so I'm back on 266.23b. Very nice, stable, and fast.

7. cmartell1978

anyone else care to chime in? im wondering if any firmwares are faster than others, and if so which ones.

8. Pierino

Pierino Senior Member

Try them yourself. You alone have the surrounding environments that might affect your setup.

9. Hothersale

Hothersale Occasional Visitor

I'm also running stock .246 with almost no issues. I've had to reboot the router once or twice in about three months. I'm too lazy to install every new version that comes along (especially when I have no problems), but my next firmware upgrade will DEFINITELY be a Merlin version.

10. Hothersale

Hothersale Occasional Visitor

Aaaaaaaaand... my router just died. When applying power, the 1, 2, and Internet light come on solidly, but that's it. No activity. Can't reset. Can't put into recovery mode. Frozen solid.

Wouldn't mind so much but my first one was a lemon too. Didn't last an hour before fritzing out.

Time to get in touch with Asus. <sigh>

11. joegreat

joegreat Very Senior Member

I also recommend Asuswrt-merlin!

Hi Cmartell,

I also recommend Asuswrt-merlin for the RT-N66u router!

Looking into the design goals with this firmware:
    Full details on Merlin's project charta can be found here.

This explains to me why this is the best of two worlds: Being up-to-date with the Asus development but also having some fixes and addons - as far as they make sense.

In case you need "more specialities" you should look first to solve it by adding Optware (or even better Entware) and Merlin's user-scripts on top of the blank firmware.

By the way: I am coming from DD-WRT supported routers, and I am perfectly happy with Asuswrt-merlin plus Entware! :D

With kind regards
    Joe :cool:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  12. Quicken

Quicken New Around Here

believe it or not, i have 260 and it is a dream. have not had one concern nor a reboot other than rebooting after an adjustment to the settings