What's new

Best modem to pair with Asus N56U /N66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

txt

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

1) Can you recommend the best stand alone modem to pair with either an Asus N56U or N66U Router ?.

2) Should the either of the above routers be used as an access point with the modem or bridged with the modem ?.

Thank you.

If your referring to a cable modems then the top runners right now in the 8x4 category are the Motorola SB-6141 and the Zoom 5341J. If you want to somewhat future proof or if your area already has 16 downstream channels the new Moto/Arris SB-6183 would be the way to go. What ever you decide make sure it's on your cable co compatible modem list.

Thank you - Kal-EL,
I should have stated in my original post that I wanted to know about ADSL modems and not cable modems.

Thank you - Kal-EL,
I should have stated in my original post that I wanted to know about ADSL modems and not cable modems.

Ok sorry then I can't help as I have cable internet. I am sure someone will post here that can recommend something for you. Good Luck !

If you intend to use DSL you can get an ASUS AC68 with DSL modem built in. Every modem with an ethernet/usb port is compatible with any router if the modem is just doing bridging.

Just make sure the one you get has good SNR and doesnt give you any problems with the medium. Even modems have limited specs so whether you want to use them as a router depends on your usage and modem specs.

Thanks SEM,

I was told that a separate modem and router is the way to go. I had my eye on a Draytek 100 series modem and a Netgear DM111P ( Broadcom chip ) - I didn't know whether these would work with the Asus Routers or a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 ( with dd-wrt )

actually it makes no difference in using a seperate router/modem however if you expect to be using the same router when you switch internet mediums than using it seperately would be good but if you were to use a combo that had good specs than it can be easier. There arent many good modems or router/modem combos which is why using them seperately is normally a good idea.

In your case i would go for draytek as they would be better than netgear unless the netgear is faster or uses better protocols. There are no compatibility issues when using ethernet to connect them.

The exception to this is SFP, If you are using a good router that had SFP and werent using DSL than you wont need a modem and it would be a good router/modem combo.

I would like to add if you consider what SEM said that gateway is not supported by Merlin or any other 3rd party firmware.

Hi Guys,

1) Can you recommend the best stand alone modem to pair with either an Asus N56U or N66U Router ?.

2) Should the either of the above routers be used as an access point with the modem or bridged with the modem ?.

Thank you.
One LAN.
One router.
Many APs (optional).
Any WiFi router can be configured to BE an access point. Once done, it is not a router.
Better to buy a product with an explicit AP mode, e.g., ASUS RT-N12 or newer. That also has a bridge mode.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!