What's new

Best Option for Security

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Taino718

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I am currently using a DS213J with two TrendNet IP cameras and plan on buying two more. I was thinking of purchasing the TrenNet TV-NVR104 or Synology NVR216 or DS216 play.
Trendnet NVR104 $135 HDMI or VGA, ports for four IP cameras Poe, network port
DS NVR216 $399 four camera licenses HDMI, network port
DS216play $250 no HDMI two camera licenses, network port

The DS NVR216 (add your own hard drives) has HDMI and so does the NVR104 has HDMI (add your own hard drive) and DS216play no HDMI. The NVR104 cameras connect directly to the device and are viewed via a monitor. The NVR216 also has HDMI and four camera licenses. The DS216 play has only two camera licenses.

I currently have a DS213J with camera licenses and two IP TrendNet Poe cameras connected. I use Synology surveillance to monitor cameras. I tried TrendNet View Pro but software crashes constantly.

I need some recommendation on which system to would fit best with my current setup. I would like to view the cameras on my LCD television. I tried a Trendnet app using the Amazon stick but have not been able to get it to work. I can view the current setup on my phones and tablets. I need a device that can be connected to a monitor or LCD television.

Any suggestions or equipment to buy would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

Hi, I am currently using a DS213J with two TrendNet IP cameras and plan on buying two more. I was thinking of purchasing the TrenNet TV-NVR104 or Synology NVR216 or DS216 play.
Trendnet NVR104 $135 HDMI or VGA, ports for four IP cameras Poe, network port
DS NVR216 $399 four camera licenses HDMI, network port
DS216play $250 no HDMI two camera licenses, network port

The DS NVR216 (add your own hard drives) has HDMI and so does the NVR104 has HDMI (add your own hard drive) and DS216play no HDMI. The NVR104 cameras connect directly to the device and are viewed via a monitor. The NVR216 also has HDMI and four camera licenses. The DS216 play has only two camera licenses.

I currently have a DS213J with camera licenses and two IP TrendNet Poe cameras connected. I use Synology surveillance to monitor cameras. I tried TrendNet View Pro but software crashes constantly.

I need some recommendation on which system to would fit best with my current setup. I would like to view the cameras on my LCD television. I tried a Trendnet app using the Amazon stick but have not been able to get it to work. I can view the current setup on my phones and tablets. I need a device that can be connected to a monitor or LCD television.

Any suggestions or equipment to buy would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

Sounds like you're interested in real time monitoring? For me all cameras are outdoor type,
using Synology surveillance station is good enough for me. I also use iSPY storage too. If I needed something like that I'll try to find which can handle more cameras like upto 8 or 16
with Zoom feature. While monitoring screenful of small size video thumb nils, you can zoom one kinda thing. So far my neighborhood is quite safe. We can even leave house doors unlocked at times, kids leave their toys scattered on their lawn, nothing happens. Sure those days are numbered.

Last edited:
Hi, real time monitoring would be ideal. I can view all cameras on my phone or computer as long as I stay log into the cameras. I also use my tablet with the cameras but after some hours I have to recharge the tablet. The computer can stay running but the cost for running it is high. I only need four cameras and use a Poe switch to power them.

I am looking for a way to view the cameras on a stand alone monitor or maybe a laptop. I like Synology surveillance and it works good but I have to stay logged into the server all the time. I would like to hang a monitor on a wall and connect the cameras to it. Not sure if such a device is available.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!