What's new

Best options for buying a wireless router based on custom firmware.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Orical

New Around Here
I've been around a little while now and have combed through the pages a bit and it seems Asus is the big favorite router here.

My experience in routers is different than home configurations but all of the principals are the same, I usually configure Cisco routers for VBlocks (Cloud Storage) but tax time is here and the wife has just given me the thumbs up to spend what I want on fixing the home network. Now I'm like a kid in a candy store and I'm seeing $300.00 to $500.00 routers but I want to keep my options open for expansion.

Is there a specific router that's the "Gem" of them all (keeping firmware options and support in mind), I don't mind spending the cash upfront as long as I have options down the road to work with.

With the higher priced consumer routers, you are mainly paying for higher wireless link rates that most devices can't take advantage of.

What are you looking for in a router besides the ability to load alternate distros.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!