What's new

Best PCIe desktop wifi card to use with Linux Mint 19.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scajjr2

Regular Contributor
Converting the HTPCs in the house to Linux Mint 19.1 from Win 10. Our 2 upstairs computers connect via wifi, both have Asus PCIe wifi cards (PCE-AC68 & PCE-AC88) but there are no Linux drivers for them.

Looking for suggestions for PCIe cards with good through put and good Linux support.

Sam

I'd used a wireless router configured as a wireless bridge until I recently replaced that with MoCA.

Last edited:
I would not waste a precious slot in your PCs for a WiFi card with the added disadvantage of potential OS compatibility issues. At some point you'll almost certainly need that extra slot and then you have wasted money on cards.

Since you have multiple devices, high end USB WiFi dongles, which solve the first issue but leaves open a reduced risk of the second, is also not ideal.

So, a wireless router acting in wireless station aka. "client mode" or as a wireless bridge would solve both problems and you should always be able to re-use a wireless router as either a router, access point, switch or even a firewall, when you no longer need the station/bridge modes.

I used before the ac68 card
But now I use the bt55 card
The Reason is simple
IT support laptop WiFi cards

https://m.alternate.be/mobile/details.xhtml?p=1365810&page=1&q=PCE-AC55BT+

I replaced the card with a other intel card ( as it is intel so 8260 replaced with 9260 ) so I got bt 5.0
So far no problems with it
Only downside
It’s a 2x2 Mimo instead 3x3 or 4x4 like the other cards
The positive thing is that you can upgrade when newer cards comes available for as low as 10$

As it is intel so it should support Linux out of the box ( no custom drivers needed )
But it stays a laptop WiFi card so you get what you expect from a laptop ( only the antennas can be placed for better signal )
And you need a usb3 mb connector to get bt working

Greets from PowerChaos
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Got a Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I card which is basically a PCIe card with a M.2 slot for a mini wifi card. It comes with an Intel dual band AC mini card. Was found right away by Mint. Not as fast throughput-wise as the Asus is in Windows but it'll do for now.

Sam

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!