What's new

Best route for storage and media player

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andy

New Around Here
About two months ago I got a new TV for the living room C6 Curved OLED 4K HDR Smart TV - 55" Class so now I need storage space to "collect" lossless music, HD TV shows and movies in Blu-ray, 3D, 4K etc., so I can play it on the TV and access/play the files on other TVs and PCs throughout the house. What the best way to accomplish this? Buy a lower model NAS like the QNAP TS-831X and build/buy a HTPC/NUC or just buy a more powerful NAS like the QNAP TVS-871-i3-4G and forget about the HTPC/NUC? Any other route? I will be running torrent, Sick Beard, and SABnzbd on the NAS. As for hard drive for the NAS I'm thinking either the Seagate IronWolf ST10000VN0004 10TB 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive[/URL or the [URL='https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BBKYNJG/?tag=snbforums-20']Seagate 8TB NAS HDD SATA 6Gb/s NCQ 256 MB Cache Bare Drive ST8000VN0002

The two NAS viewed side by side[/URL]

Plex is good for this as it has DLNA, web based media player and indexes your videos for you. It is CPU bound so it depends on how much transcoding goes on. For me i could play from source and not worry about bandwidth as i use SFP+. Source quality is not CPU bound but is bound by your disk speeds and network.

So if CPU isnt an issue see if your QNAP supports plex. If you plan to transcode and watch removely (over WAN) than you will need to build your own.

For your drives you dont necessarily need such huge capacities as you can use raid to get bigger capacities and have redundancies incase of drive failures. If backing up isnt an issue than single big drives are alright as long as they have the performance you need to back it up if you plan to play source quality. For example 2 blu ray streams from source will use a significant amount of network that at least 1Gb/s is needed. 2 transcoded blu ray at 4K will fit in 100Mb/s networking but will use loads of CPU instead.

About two months ago I got a new TV for the living room C6 Curved OLED 4K HDR Smart TV - 55" Class so now I need storage space to "collect" lossless music, HD TV shows and movies in Blu-ray, 3D, 4K etc., so I can play it on the TV and access/play the files on other TVs and PCs throughout the house. What the best way to accomplish this? Buy a lower model NAS like the QNAP TS-831X and build/buy a HTPC/NUC or just buy a more powerful NAS like the QNAP TVS-871-i3-4G and forget about the HTPC/NUC? Any other route? I will be running torrent, Sick Beard, and SABnzbd on the NAS. As for hard drive for the NAS I'm thinking either the Seagate IronWolf ST10000VN0004 10TB 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive[/URL or the [URL='https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BBKYNJG/?tag=snbforums-20']Seagate 8TB NAS HDD SATA 6Gb/s NCQ 256 MB Cache Bare Drive ST8000VN0002

The two NAS viewed side by side[/URL]

Andy,
What did you decide to go with? I'm looking at the same question as well.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!