What's new

Best router for low latency

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iamwardicus

New Around Here
Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a router as I will be switching ISPs and the new one allows me to use my own cable modem instead of their all-in-one modem/router.

I'll be using an Arris SB6183 modem as my gateway.

I'm wondering what router out there can provide the best latencies. Bandwidth is severely limited: 60 / 5.

Low latency is probably the most important thing for my wife and I as we do a lot of gaming. When not gaming I typically stream Netflix.

The apartment we will have is going to be about 1000 sq. ft. and we're going to have 10-25 wireless devices at any given time on the network, not all being used at the same time unless we've company over, but regardless, a larger number of devices. I intend to hardwire the 2x desktop computers and if it's possible I'll be wiring my PS3 / PS4 as well. I do have a gigabit switch if I find I need to wire more than just those 4 devices.

Budget wise I'd like to keep it under $500 at a maximum. As for ease of setup, I can do basic setup if needed, but anything with it's own simple to use QoS settings would be appreciated. As stated, gaming latency is probably my biggest concern at this time. Being able to get gigabit speed routing as a long term would be appreciated, but it's obviously not relevant for the time being.

Thanks for any advice!

for low latency, you'd want one of mikrotik's CCR1036, it has CPU connected ports only with a CPU optimised for networking. If you want to go higher you can get one of cisco's blade servers used in T1 exchanges.

Honestly there is very little difference between the old mips routers to a mikrotik CCR in latency, im talking 2ms difference at most when doing NAT, the internet, wifi and powerline are the most significant sources of latency.

What exactly will you be doing with the router? Gaming? streaming? ...

Home use - Gaming is primary concern, the wife is considering getting into the streaming scene but still unsure on that one. If she does decide to, her primary screen resolution after we move will be 3440 x 1440, and if I get into it I will be at 4k. Given our poor upload I know we won't be streaming @native resolutions).
We are constantly doing voice / video chat with family & the gaming friends, and depending on the events she's doing, I'm not in the computer room, I'm in the living room streaming).

I was looking at the CCR 1009-7G-1C-PC but I've never touched their OS before, and it's been a *very* long time since I've done anything in the networking scene (Uhh, probably 15 or so years ago, in high school) so I'm unsure how long it would take a novice such as I to get it properly setup. My other option was just getting one of the ASUS routers (GT-5300 or the WRT 3200) and being happy there. I wasn't sure on their longevity however, and I've had rather poor luck in my "home" routers in the past (1-2 years until something goes wrong with the hardware - I'm rather unlucky there). I figure a business class device might be built of better things XD.

Much appreciated for the feedback - if you've other questions or advice, please continue!

for low latency, you'd want one of mikrotik's CCR1036, it has CPU connected ports only with a CPU optimised for networking. If you want to go higher you can get one of cisco's blade servers used in T1 exchanges.

The uTik is a good choice, and pfSense is another option... both are pretty good choice, and compared to consumer gear...

pfSense - probably around 0.4 millisec (as a point of reference, a popular AC1900 class device is around 1.4 millisecond... this is round-time to the router/GW from a client on the LAN over 1GBe wired...

Chart below - low latency is pfSense on Netgate SG-2440 thru Netgear GS-108T GBe switch from a Intel NUC running ubuntu and a charting app. The SG-2440 is temporarily offline, as I'm testing a device that is interesting to some, but shares a common codebase and core with a common AC1900 class device (*WRT* figures into this somehow).

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 5.02.07 PM.png

I would think the uTik would be similar to pfSense.

Home use - Gaming is primary concern, the wife is considering getting into the streaming scene but still unsure on that one. If she does decide to, her primary screen resolution after we move will be 3440 x 1440, and if I get into it I will be at 4k. Given our poor upload I know we won't be streaming @native resolutions).
We are constantly doing voice / video chat with family & the gaming friends, and depending on the events she's doing, I'm not in the computer room, I'm in the living room streaming).

I was looking at the CCR 1009-7G-1C-PC but I've never touched their OS before, and it's been a *very* long time since I've done anything in the networking scene (Uhh, probably 15 or so years ago, in high school) so I'm unsure how long it would take a novice such as I to get it properly setup. My other option was just getting one of the ASUS routers (GT-5300 or the WRT 3200) and being happy there. I wasn't sure on their longevity however, and I've had rather poor luck in my "home" routers in the past (1-2 years until something goes wrong with the hardware - I'm rather unlucky there). I figure a business class device might be built of better things XD.

Much appreciated for the feedback - if you've other questions or advice, please continue!
i was joking, you missed out the word "wifi". pure routers can obviously be good and the only thing that matters for routing at home is really just NAT and QoS performance.
What really matters are your WAN speeds as well, every router has its limits. For wifi asus has really good latency from my experience but i would not game on wifi, due to the inherent nature of wifi latency is going to be a problem on wifi when it is being loaded. Streaming can work on wifi because it isnt latency sensitive.

triband routers, not necessary if you dont have enough devices to make use of it so consider dual band first even if you need the performance. triband is for when you have many devices and need performance on wifi (note: latency will still suck on wifi even when loaded and isnt consistent enough for gaming).

Im sure other wifi routers can also have good wifi latency. At idle i manage to get my old asus router to give me <1ms . other wifi routers can achieve the same even if its tp link if it allows you to configure enough of the advanced section. In order to get improved wifi latency you have to do the opposite of what everyone does, which is to configure your wifi for performance and not range. This means adjusting the tx power with other parameters for a crowded wifi network so first look at the CPU thats included, then the wifi chips used. Qualcomm wifi > broadcom at the moment, those numbers really mean nothing, for example do you see any devices that use broadcom's xstream for 1Gb/s on 2.4Ghz which would be impossible to achieve in today's crowded 2.4Ghz?.

We won't be gaming via the wifi unless a friend visits from out of town - maybe once per year. I've got a old netgear router packed somewhere I can use as an AP to run the wireless in the apartment - it's small enough I'm not going to worry overmuch about coverage. I intend on using a middle room as the computer room, and that's where I'll have them install the cable access. I would like to futureproof where I can since eventually gigabit will be available. I prefer to only buy once if I can help it - overkill isn't a bad thing in my opinion :) I will read up on pfSense this afternoon. I've heard it's not too terrible to setup - and I understand that the packages available for it can increase its effectiveness (firewall, netcache, etc). I'll just have to find adequate hardware to run it that won't kill the power bill which I also understand to not be too hard to do, especially given my budget.

if you have wireless AC clients its worth having an AC AP. There are various different configs. You could use pfsense/mikrotik with a ubiquiti AC AP, or pfsense/mikrotik with a decent consumer wifi router with AC wifi (3x3 or qualcomm MU-MIMO dual band).

Otherwise the same rule applies if you dont think you're skilled enough for non consumer routers. getting a wifi router with the same wifi specs, CPU dependent on your WAN speed. Many different routers you can consider here and firmwares. ASUS has good stock firmware and rmerlin firmware, netgear firmware isnt that great but they have good hardware normally. TP link focuses on basic firmware to provide a good value router.

The only devices that are AC enabled are the smartphones and a chromebook. Nothing that *needs* the higher bandwidth. At the moment I'm going to have to select a router. I'm going to use the R7000 as the AP since I already have it - no sense it letting it goto waste.

reusing the R7000 is a good idea, its also a good router too.
The main question really is your WAN speed. Picking a router requires knowing that it has the CPU to perform the features you want (such as QoS) at your WAN speed.

The R7000 would be fine as an AP if one already has one in hand...

500Mbit/Sec - I'd be ok with recommending the SG-2220 @ $299USD running pfSense

The SG-2440 pricing has gotten a bit crazy... I'll admit - these days it's around $549, which is $200 more than I spent... but they're low volume, and supply/demand perhaps - or the whims of the pfSense principal folks...

The R7000 would be fine as an AP if one already has one in hand...

500Mbit/Sec - I'd be ok with recommending the SG-2220 @ $299USD running pfSense

The SG-2440 pricing has gotten a bit crazy... I'll admit - these days it's around $549, which is $200 more than I spent... but they're low volume, and supply/demand perhaps - or the whims of the pfSense principal folks...
its not supply and demand, its the fame the SG-2440 has gotten. Every seller is looking for a reason to increase prices, supply and demand is one factor, another is fame.

its not supply and demand, its the fame the SG-2440 has gotten. Every seller is looking for a reason to increase prices, supply and demand is one factor, another is fame.

Netgate/ADI/pfSense-direct - it gets a bit odd with the SG-2440... it's a hella router on pfSense as it was designed for that specifically - but it's good with linux and other packages/distros.

(ADI is the OD, Netgate is the OEM, pfSense-direct is the business side for PFSense logo'ed devices - there it gets odd - ADI just designs the boxes, Netgate makes them for whatever reason, and pfSense sells them with support contracts... and there is some odd things as some of the principals work for 2 or 3 of the above)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!