What's new

Best Router Switch for ~$100 (w/ Netgear Nighthawk X4S)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

qmalik

New Around Here
Hey Guys,

I need more ports...so I'm looking for the best/most recommend switch for about $100 or so.

I have the Netgear Nighthawk X4S Router and 100/100 Fios internet and am looking for at least 8 more ports.

The 2 switches that I am currently considering:

- Netgear Nighthawk S8000 ($80)
- Netgear GS108Tv2 ($66)

Too many choices...thoughts? Something better I should consider?

Thank you!

Some others I've seen mentioned online:

- Netgear Prosafe GS108PE
- NetgearProSafe GS724T
- Netgear ProSAFE GS208
- NetgearProSAFE GS116NA
- D-Link DGS-1008G
- D-Link DGS1016A
- TP-LINK TL-SG1024
- TP-Link TL-SG108
- TP-Link TL-SG1008P
- TP-Link TL-SF1005D
- TP-Link TL-SG1008PE
- Linksys LGS116P
- Linksys SE3008
- Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 60W (US-8-60W)
- TRENDnet TPE-TG81G
- Cisco Systems SG112-24-NA
- Buffalo BS-GU2024

Last edited:
What features do you need it to support? Do you want managed or un-managed? Do you want CLI or WebUI? What about jumbo frame support? Or VLANs? Or link agg? PoE?

If just needing additional ports, go buy a $20 8-port switch and call it good. No need to spend $50-100 for basic ports.

netgear prosafe is a very good L2 switch, same with cisco SG switches as well.

Even when buying an unmanaged cheap switch, just make sure its not from dlink. tplink is ok but im not too sure, basically just avoid dlink and the not so well known brands. Zyxel is too pricey for what they offer.

Netgear GS308 is just over $20 on Amazon. I also have used the monoprice gig switches with no complaints.

I'm not an advance network user..I just want the best/fastest internet possible. I like the features this router has - though unless it automatically provides benefits - I probably won't change sets/configurations to activate it.

So based on the comments so far - a managed switch provides no advantage for a user like me. Correct? I just want to be sure I get all the auto/standard benefits of my router..I have a pretty simple setup..and not too many devices (2 laptops, 2 cellphones, 1 TV, 1 fireTV, 1 Xbox, 1 PS).

Just FYI - my router is currently NOT placed were all my Ethernet cables ends (including Verizon's ONT box cable) - which are in the basement. Would an unmanaged switch be able to performance just as good if all 10 Ethernet cables in my home + Verizon's ONT cable are plugged into it (while my router is in my family room)??

If there is no difference - I'll probably get Netgear 16 port GS316 or GS116NA...I need at least 11 ports since the router would only have 1 cable (from the wall port) going into it in the family room.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If there is no difference - I'll probably get Netgear 16 port GS316 or GS116NA...I need at least 11 ports since the router would only have 1 cable (from the wall port) going into it in the family room. Thanks![/QUOTE said:
You might want to reconsider and step up to TP-Links smart switches. I purchased a TP-SG108E for $39. They also offer a 16 port model. Cost increase is reasonable if you have or in the future might have need for a few basic additional features over what an unmanaged switch offers. Setup is simple using either the GUI or the utility that comes with the switch.

This switch will fairly easily let you set up multiple VLANs to segregate devices on your LAN. It also offers QOS features which I haven't tried as I have more than enough bandwidth from my ISP for my needs.

One thing that doesn't seem to work with their "smart switches" is if you chaining VLANs on multiple switches. Neither I or TP-Links support has come up with a set of settings that will allow VLANs on both the first switch and VLANs on the second switch which is fed from the first switch that also will connect to the Internet.

Just FYI - my router is currently NOT placed were all my Ethernet cables ends (including Verizon's ONT box cable) - which are in the basement. Would an unmanaged switch be able to performance just as good if all 10 Ethernet cables in my home + Verizon's ONT cable are plugged into it (while my router is in my family room)??
It is unlikely this setup is going to work without getting a VLAN capable switch and router...or having at least 2 Ethernet runs to the Router.
If I am understanding your response correctly, the ONT is what traditionally plugs into the WAN port of the router correct?

ONT --> Router --> Devices

ONT --> Router --> Switch --> Devices

You cannot plug both sides of the router into the same un-managed switch. You will probably need to move your router back to the same location of the ONT and then connect the switch to the router there.

From a performance perspective, unless you are pushing enough traffic to saturate a 1Gbps link, I wouldn't worry about it much. It is possible...but generally unlikely.

It is unlikely this setup is going to work without getting a VLAN capable switch and router...or having at least 2 Ethernet runs to the Router.
If I am understanding your response correctly, the ONT is what traditionally plugs into the WAN port of the router correct?

ONT --> Router --> Devices

ONT --> Router --> Switch --> Devices

You cannot plug both sides of the router into the same un-managed switch. You will probably need to move your router back to the same location of the ONT and then connect the switch to the router there.

From a performance perspective, unless you are pushing enough traffic to saturate a 1Gbps link, I wouldn't worry about it much. It is possible...but generally unlikely.

Okay this is what I thought...that the ONT has to go directly into the router...however, I've had 2 people (including a verizon tech) tell me - that I could just connect everything into the switch (ONT/Router/10 Ethernet cables) and that it would figure itself out automatically... -.-

Edit: I'm fairly sure my router and even the unmanaged switches from netgear/tp-link can allow VLAN based on product descriptions/reviews...so many it will work??

Last edited:
Okay this is what I thought...that the ONT has to go directly into the router...however, I've had 2 people (including a verizon tech) tell me - that I could just connect everything into the switch (ONT/Router/10 Ethernet cables) and that it would figure itself out automatically... -.-

Edit: I'm fairly sure my router and even the unmanaged switches from netgear/tp-link can allow VLAN based on product descriptions/reviews...so many it will work??
there are 2 kinds of vlans, tagged and untagged. Both may or may not require a managed switch, it depends on the use case.

A tagged vlan only requires termination at the end. For example, if the device is set to a vlan, it is a tagged vlan and any device in between doesnt need to be managed to pass it. However if you need to terminate a tagged vlan at the switch where the device is connected to rather than the device, that switch will need to be managed. When the tagged vlan terminates at the switch, it becomes untagged.

Untagged vlans are usually local only and require a managed switch to configure. It doesnt require device configuration and allow the switch to do intervlan routing instead of the device.

Tagged vlans sends the vlan tag along with the packet, unlike untagged vlan which doesnt where the vlan terminates at the device (could be a switch for example).

Many WAN setups that use vlans use tagged vlans. Many LAN setups that use vlans from WAN like IPTV use untagged vlans (vlan terminates at router but tagged on WAN side).

So you only need a managed switch if you need to pass vlans from your router to the port the device is connected to if the device is not configured, usually the case of IPTV from an ISP. So you will only need a managed switch if you plan to plug a device that requires a particular vlan network to the switch that isnt configured to be on that network itself. For any other device, an unmanaged switch will do. When unmanaged switch featureset is said, dont bother because all it is saying is that the switch will pass QoS and vlan info, it will not process it as managed switches can do. All that matters on an unmanaged switch are 4 things - error correction/detection, power saving, MTU support and flow control. Never get an unmanaged POE switch as you cant see the POE info or configure it then. The hardware quality of the switch matters too (why i said dont get dlink as dlink unmanaged switches freeze up after every while).

I hope you can understand my wording though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!