What's new

Best setup for small army of tech nerds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bbbob

New Around Here
Best setup for small army of tech nerds (my kids)

Let me first say this is by far one of the most helpful network forums I have seen. I was using DD-WRT on my wrt600nv1.1 until she died. So on to better things. I have 5 kids and a wife. All like to game, stream, file transfer and download.

On my network I have 7-10 notebooks, 2 desktops, various apple devises, and multiple video game systems. All wireless but one desktop and 2 of the older Xboxes. I absolutely forbid p2p file sharing in my house so that’s not an issue but if possible need the option to block. If I have to mod/build the perfect router/routers I will.

At this time I have a Netgear WNR2000v3 w/DD-WRT running N only on 2.4ghz and its horribly slow. I have been looking at Asus rt-n66u and it seems to be my best bet. Is there a better router out that can handle tons of usage? The thing I need help with is how would I build a network for us? On busy days I have 2 playing WoW, 4 on my private Minecraft server and YouTube, me using (or trying to use) the internet and stream a movie and all the other stuff they do all day when I’m at work. I would like to stay around $200 but will go to whatever I need to within reason.

I used inSSIDer and can see 16 networks in range of me on the 2.4ghz and only my dying Linksys on the 5ghz. Problem is almost everything in the house that has 802.11n is only 2.4ghz thanks to those damn whitelist you can’t get rid of. Is there a way to run my entertainment center on a separate 5ghz bridge/hub. I can run a wire but only 1 not the 5 or 6 it would take to get everything. Sorry for rambling on but my brain is fried trying to understand networks.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii13/brandenhs_2007/insidder2.png
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii13/brandenhs_2007/insidder1.png

Last edited: