What's new

Best Setup To Stream HD Movies (Not Sure Where to post this)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks again guys, this is great info!!

Here's a stupid question that I forgot to ask;

As I began to mention in my initial post...in my living room, which is almost directly below where the RT-AC68U is going to be placed...I have my Home Entertainment stand.

- I plan on also having the 'ASUS EA-N66' placed on top of a tall cabinet that will connect to the AC68U.

- I will have a Cat6 cable ran from the 'EA-N66', down behind the cabinet to my Media stand, plugged-into the 'ASUS GX-D1051 V3' 5-port Gigabit Switch.

- Finally, I will have a variety of ethernet-enabled devices (LCD TV, Blu-Ray Player, DirecTV Genie, Gaming Systems' plugged-in to the ASUS 5-port GB switch.

So...this was the *initial* plan.

However, now...I'm wondering if instead of using the EA-N66 to bridge all of these non-wifi ethernet devices to my WiFi network...I'm wondering if instead I should go with another standard such as; HomePNA/HomePlug/MoCA etc?

The issue of course, is that I would like to be able to stream HD content in the best possible manner without having to run ethernet cable directly.

Would my initial WiFi setup work for this, or will going to an alternative standard be more stable and reliable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried Netgear's NeoTV Prime & ended up exchanging it for Roku 3. NeoTV's convoluted set up is what I hate about it. It defeats the purpose of going video streaming when it's a lot easier to load a blu-ray to watch a movie than going with all this sorts on Menu choices on NeoTV. Though it's Android based the apps you're getting &/or available for download is very limited.

With Roku 3 it's very easy & there's plenty of apps to choose from. I'm using a Synology NAS for streaming & the Roku 3 has a Synology (DS Video streaming app) available for download for free. Once you're done activating the streaming device you're ready to roll. Before getting Roku 3 I did try the cheaper Roku 2 but somehow I got a problem with its built-in Wi-FI not getting a strong signal & the video will just stop then play again after couple of seconds. It's strange cuz it has similar Wi-Fi specs with Roku 3. With Roku 3 (using WiFi instead of ethernet connection) video streaming runs smoothly. It's dual band too - with NeoTV its only 2.4 GHz.

@Ralphort,

How well does the Roku 3 playback your personal movie collection? Does it have great support for various movie formats? I don't have a Synology NAS, so I'm wondering if it supports SMB/CIFS Shares?

BJ

How well does the Roku 3 playback your personal movie collection? Does it have great support for various movie formats? I don't have a Synology NAS, so I'm wondering if it supports SMB/CIFS Shares?
All the Rokus have very limited format support because they are designed primarily as internet streaming devices.

You can use them to play more formats via apps in the Channel store. But they require running a server on a Windows or MacOS machine.

Best player I've found for local files is WD TV Live. Plays everything I have, even digital camera AVI and MOV files and can browse network shares as well as work with DLNA servers. Has decent selection of streaming apps too, i.e. Netflix, HuluPlus, etc.

SONY SMP-N200
Network Media Player (this opens all shares on SMB and UPnP devices)
Internet Media Player

So all windows shares can be access.
All NAS can be access. For me NSA325 appears
I can see all Video, Music and Photos or I use one of the Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 shares too.

All the Rokus have very limited format support because they are designed primarily as internet streaming devices.

You can use them to play more formats via apps in the Channel store. But they require running a server on a Windows or MacOS machine.

Best player I've found for local files is WD TV Live. Plays everything I have, even digital camera AVI and MOV files and can browse network shares as well as work with DLNA servers. Has decent selection of streaming apps too, i.e. Netflix, HuluPlus, etc.

Thiggins,

I would like to get your thoughts on the following:

As I began to mention in my initial post...in my living room, which is almost directly below where the RT-AC68U is placed...I have my Home Entertainment stand.

- I was planing on also having the 'ASUS EA-N66' placed on top of a tall cabinet that will connect to the AC68U via 5GHZ N Wireless.

- I will have a Cat6 cable ran from the 'EA-N66', down behind the cabinet to my Media stand, plugged-into the 'ASUS GX-D1051 V3' 5-port Gigabit Switch.

- Finally, I will have a variety of ethernet-enabled devices (LCD TV, Blu-Ray Player, DirecTV Genie, Gaming Systems' plugged-in to the ASUS 5-port GB switch.

So...this was the *initial* plan.

However, now...I'm wondering if instead of using the EA-N66 to bridge all of these non-wifi ethernet devices to my WiFi network...I'm wondering if instead I should go with another standard such as; HomePNA/HomePlug/MoCA etc?

The issue of course, is that I would like to be able to stream HD content in the best possible manner without having to run ethernet cable directly.

Would my initial WiFi setup work for this, or will going to an alternative standard be more stable and reliable?

What do you think?

BJ

:cool:

WiFi HD streaming depends on how good your wireless connection is. If you live in the middle of nowhere, have only 2 wireless devices, and no metal between them, the new AC will probability be trouble free.

If you are in an apartment and every single person has WiFi devices, most likely it won't work at all.

This is why they say don't use WiFi for HD. :D

Is there a reason you can't wire it. (just asking, apartment/home rental is 1 reason, 90% of the time)

Gents,

Yes, unfortunately at the moment, where my Media Stand is...I cannot have hard-wired Ethernet cabling.

So my only choices at this time are a WiFi Media Bridge like the ASUS EA-N66 connected to a Gigabit switch...or leveraging some sort of HomePNA/HomePlug/MoCA adapter and have that connected to a Gigabit switch.

So this being the case, are one of these alternatives better than WiFi?

I'm not really sure which way to go since the investment will be about the same.

Thanks!

BJ

Gents,

Yes, unfortunately at the moment, where my Media Stand is...I cannot have hard-wired Ethernet cabling.

So my only choices at this time are a WiFi Media Bridge like the ASUS EA-N66 connected to a Gigabit switch...or leveraging some sort of HomePNA/HomePlug/MoCA adapter and have that connected to a Gigabit switch.

So this being the case, are one of these alternatives better than WiFi?

I'm not really sure which way to go since the investment will be about the same.
Alternatives in order of decreasing bandwidth and reliability:
- Ethernet
- MoCA
- Powerline
- Wireless

Alternatives in order of decreasing bandwidth and reliability:
- Ethernet
- MoCA
- Powerline
- Wireless

Thiggins;

Wow, Thank you so much! Interesting, so Powerline is still better than 5GHZ N WiFi??

Ok, then perhaps I should just purchase either MoCA or Powerline instead of the ASUS EA-N66??

Questions;

- Can you please recommend good MoCA and Powerline Adapters?

- Do Powerline Adapters have to be plugged in directly into the wall socket or do they also work through Power Strips?

- For MoCA Adapters, will they still work for me even if I'm currently already using my current coaxial infrastructure for DirecTV? Can I use a splitter? Will there be any interference or quality issues?

Thank you!!

BJ

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Those ratings are based on throughput (including throughput vs. distance) and connection reliability. Ethernet is always the best way. Each "Ethernet alternative" method has its own strengths and weaknesses.

5 GHz throughput decreases rapidly with range. Throughput also depends on many environmental factors, i.e. distance, building construction materials and techniques, other wireless activity in your area.

Powerline is not perfect. But its throughput tends to hold up better over range (especially 200 Mbps type adapters). You also need to do some experimentation to find and remove electrical noise that can reduce throughput.

Adapters must be plugged directly into the wall for best performance. You can use short non-filtered power strips to filter noise in some cases.

Other general powerline information is here: SmallNetBuilder's Powerline FAQ

Powerline charts are here.

The MoCA, HomePlug, HPNA forum has many discussions about the hassles of setting up MoCA. MoCA setup sharing coax with DirecTV or digital cable is more of a hassle than you want to deal with. MoCA also never really made it as a consumer networking technique. It is primarily used by service providers.

Those ratings are based on throughput (including throughput vs. distance) and connection reliability. Ethernet is always the best way. Each "Ethernet alternative" method has its own strengths and weaknesses.

5 GHz throughput decreases rapidly with range. Throughput also depends on many environmental factors, i.e. distance, building construction materials and techniques, other wireless activity in your area.

Powerline is not perfect. But its throughput tends to hold up better over range (especially 200 Mbps type adapters). You also need to do some experimentation to find and remove electrical noise that can reduce throughput.

Adapters must be plugged directly into the wall for best performance. You can use short non-filtered power strips to filter noise in some cases.

Other general powerline information is here: SmallNetBuilder's Powerline FAQ

Powerline charts are here.

The MoCA, HomePlug, HPNA forum has many discussions about the hassles of setting up MoCA. MoCA setup sharing coax with DirecTV or digital cable is more of a hassle than you want to deal with. MoCA also never really made it as a consumer networking technique. It is primarily used by service providers.

Tim,

As always, your input and feedback is incredible, as is everyone else who took time to respond to my posting.

I was starting to lean towards Powerline as you suggested...but then I realized something interesting...

At this time, I use Time Warner Cable just for internet. I have a brand-new drop that runs from the telephone pole into my network closet and into my Arris Cable Modem.

However, I use DirecTV for Television only. They installed the Dish on the side of my home and they tap into the Coax infrastructure of my home, so that every room is able to get DirecTV.

My Media Stand in my living room currently has a 'DirecTV Genie' as the main Receiver/DVR while the other rooms have a 'Mini HD Receiver' of sorts.

Ok, so check this out:

The Genie needs to be connected to the internet, but I have no ethernet access where my Media Stand is (As I mentioned).

So I noticed that the Installer also installed some sort of 'Adapter'. The Adapter plugs into my Time Warner Cable Arris Cable Modem directly and also has a Coax cable coming out of it.

Somehow, it's delivering internet access into my DirecTV Genie. I even verified this in 'settings', because it shows that it's connected to my Home Network and currently has a DHCP IP Address.

I'm thinking that perhaps, the Adapter that they installed, is in fact a 'MoCA' Adapter but I'm not sure?

I'm attaching some pictures for you to take a look.

My question is that if in fact they are using MoCA...can I leverage this somehow? Maybe where the Coax Cable is coming out of the wall where my Media Stand is (and currently going straight into the DirecTV Genie DVR), I can just connect one adapter...so that all of my devices can get internet access???

I've also purchased HD Movies via DirecTV and so far they play absolutely flawlessly in 1080p HD.

What do think?

The Model Number of their Adapter is as follows: DCA2SR0-01.

Please reference the pictures below:

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

I'm hoping that perhaps I'm already 'half way there'?

What do you think.

BJ

:cool:

DECA appears to be a form of coax-over-Ethernet. I can't tell from the picture, but if there is an Ethernet jack on the adapter, you can try connecting something there and see if you get Ethernet. If you do, then you can plug the DECA adapter into a switch and then multiple devices into that.

DECA appears to be a form of coax-over-Ethernet. I can't tell from the picture, but if there is an Ethernet jack on the adapter, you can try connecting something there and see if you get Ethernet. If you do, then you can plug the DECA adapter into a switch and then multiple devices into that.

WOW!!! Tim it worked!!! Remember, in my living-room, I only have a Coax cable coming out of the wall and directly into the DirecTV HR34-700 Genie DVR.

Well, then as I was doing some research I came across the following Coax Networking White Paper and Diagram (Here's a DropBox Link to my account):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bjoe4ivbyguw4z4/MUVrB-RT4S

So I found out that some of the newer Genie DVRs also have a DECA sort of adapter already built in.

So I simply plugged-in a Cat 6 Cable directly into the RJ-45 connection of the Genie DVR and the other side went to my ASUS 5-port Gigabit Switch.

Then I ran another CAT 6 from the same switch to my Laptop where I'm on right now and disabled my WiFi adapter...and sure enough...I'm getting internet!!!

So that's so weird. I guess DECA II is a sort of MoCA then??

Not sure, but it's blazing fast.

So now I need to test out a few movies to see how fast it really is.

Since this is all predicated on me keeping the DirecTV Service...I may still purchase either the Zyxel or Linksys Powerline Adapters.

BJ

:eek:

Also, I'm curious about the following:

1. - Are there any specific issues that I should be aware of, when having my DirecTV behind a Firewall, such as my SonicWall Firewall?

2. - Also, according to the specs on that 'Coax Networking 101 Guide' that I referenced earlier...it says that as far as speeds...

'...The DECA network is a shared 200Mb/s, or the same speed as full duplex 100Mb/s Ethernet...'

So I guess that this is still better than WiFi and Powerline??

If so that's awesome...that is until I get rid of DirecTV.

J.

1. - Are there any specific issues that I should be aware of, when having my DirecTV behind a Firewall, such as my SonicWall Firewall?
Not sure what the question is. The DirecTV will be as safe (or unsafe) as any other device on your LAN.

2. - Also, according to the specs on that 'Coax Networking 101 Guide' that I referenced earlier...it says that as far as speeds...

'...The DECA network is a shared 200Mb/s, or the same speed as full duplex 100Mb/s Ethernet...'

So I guess that this is still better than WiFi and Powerline??
802.11ac is capable of higher throughput. But varies more with distance and the throughput isn't as consistent with wireless.

Again, the list is Ethernet > MoCA > Powerline > Wireless

WOW!!! Tim it worked!!! Remember, in my living-room, I only have a Coax cable coming out of the wall and directly into the DirecTV HR34-700 Genie DVR.

Well, then as I was doing some research I came across the following Coax Networking White Paper and Diagram (Here's a DropBox Link to my account):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bjoe4ivbyguw4z4/MUVrB-RT4S

So I found out that some of the newer Genie DVRs also have a DECA sort of adapter already built in.

So I simply plugged-in a Cat 6 Cable directly into the RJ-45 connection of the Genie DVR and the other side went to my ASUS 5-port Gigabit Switch.

Then I ran another CAT 6 from the same switch to my Laptop where I'm on right now and disabled my WiFi adapter...and sure enough...I'm getting internet!!!

So that's so weird. I guess DECA II is a sort of MoCA then??

Not sure, but it's blazing fast.

So now I need to test out a few movies to see how fast it really is.

Since this is all predicated on me keeping the DirecTV Service...I may still purchase either the Zyxel or Linksys Powerline Adapters.

BJ

:eek:

Not sure what the question is. The DirecTV will be as safe (or unsafe) as any other device on your LAN.

802.11ac is capable of higher throughput. But varies more with distance and the throughput isn't as consistent with wireless.

Again, the list is Ethernet > MoCA > Powerline > Wireless

Thank you again Tim!!!

So just to clarify, on question #1: Right now I can have the DirecTV Ethernet Adapter plugged-in directly to the Time Warner Cable Modem (so it's in front of the SonicWALL) or I can have the DirecTV Ethernet Adapter plugged into (behind) the SonicWALL.

I'm just concerned that with the SonicWALL's deep packet inspection, that I may see some slow-down or artifacts when streaming movies over the internet, say from NetFlix or Hulu or Vudu.

For question #2...do you think then that this DECA II Adapter and it's throughput speeds are more in line with MoCA or with Powerline speeds?

Thank you!!!

BJ

:confused:

I use my PS3 to stream my media that I have stored on my NAS and it works just fine. One caveat though is that the video formats that the PS3 can play is mp4 or avi.

Streaming internal i prefer Kodi (XBMC), you also have a modification for external stream too. But i use PLEX for friends and family mostly, when it comes to the nas i prefer nas4free wich is the original freenas. Mostly because of a friendly community for newbies on the forum.

The rack wich is holding nas4free keeeps 16 hdd`s and the speed from nas and to nas is about 100-110MB/ s. (depending on small or large files of course)

Using LSI controllers and they do their job, CPU is an AMD A10 45W 2.5GHz

With this solutions you have to have a computer to serve to the TV.

Other solutions is ps3mediaserver and minidlna if you can plug the TV into the network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!