What's new

Best VM Performace in a 2 Bay NAS is?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Our benchmarks show USB3 and eSATA provide about the same throughput. You're not missing anything by not having eSATA on your NAS.

Yes, eSATA is dead (for performance) USB 3.1 (done right) is far better.

Our benchmarks show USB3 and eSATA provide about the same throughput. You're not missing anything by not having eSATA on your NAS.
was that assessment done with the target as extfs or NTFS?
May not be as absolute as "you're not missing anything by not having eSATA on your NAS"

was that assessment done with the target as extfs or NTFS?
May not be as absolute as "you're not missing anything by not having eSATA on your NAS"
go look at the Router Charts, Steve.
Also go look at the Backup benchmarks in the NAS Charts.

Just a quick update, I finally, after a couple more nights of checking and a few more demo runs(Why does Synology not have a live demo??), I decided on a Qnap.

On the way is a Qnap TS-253A, with 2 x 3TB WD Red's, and a ram upgrade to 16gb(Simply NAS gave me the idea). I also purchased a third WD Red and an external USB 3.0 backup drive enclosure.

Total usable space will be around 2.7TB, which leaves me with about 1TB of growth space before I need to look at new HDD's.

Lot of things happening in the NAS vendor space - not just for KVM/QEMU (QNAP's Virtualaztion Station), but also Docker/LXC support coming with QTS 4.2.1, along with Synology's Docker implementation that's I think released with the current DSM..

AsusStor is also playing in this crowd, initially using Oracle's VirtualBox app...

We're not quite to the low level hypervisor level yet (HyperV/Xen/ESXi), but I'm guessing someone will do this before too long..

I really did like the AsusStor interface and layout. Qnap's virtual stuff, as well as the ability to do 16gb pushed me over the edge.

I really did like the AsusStor interface and layout. Qnap's virtual stuff, as well as the ability to do 16gb pushed me over the edge.

Cool...

Like I mentioned in an above post - KVM/QEMU and VirtBox as level 1 hypervisors are what is now...

Docker/LXC and application virtualization, along with soft-switches - there's a lot of activity in the higher-end Consumer NAS boxes - pretty soon, I'll guess, is that we have a full-blown OpenStack implementation - could be x86, could be fast ARM's, but I think it's coming sooner than later...

What's the home/SOHO need for a VM in a NAS (other than to sandbox an untrusted app on the NAS?). I don't use such apps. I feel that a NAS is not an app server.

There are advantages to using a NAS as a centralized repository for images. There are compelling reasons for home users to deploy VDI and it's going to get simpler as tools are developed.

There are advantages to using a NAS as a centralized repository for images. There are compelling reasons for home users to deploy VDI and it's going to get simpler as tools are developed.

Yep - deploying VDI and putting a thin client on the desktop (or a VM player on laptop) is getting to be much more common these days...

I've got a 4 bay NAS (QNAP TS-453Pro) that I run a couple of VM's on - one for development, and the other to support it... by having the functionality there, I was able to decommission an older Linux desktop and move the work over to the NAS (since the NAS is on anyways) and not impact QNAP's QTS....

"VDI" ?

"images.." meaning PC build images for standardized enterprise desktops? (not photos)

Yeah, the concept scales down as well as up. It simplifies a lot of things, not the least of which is workstation backups - if they're running an image loaded from the NAS, they're already getting backed up, meaning no special backup software/procedure is needed on the workstation itself.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!